Wrist weakness and numbness...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2011, 10:08 AM
mythreesons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone else find that they are having pain in their wrist. I wake up several times during the night and my right hand is numb. It takes a while to wake it up. Also I find that my right wrist is much much weaker. I can not do anything with it.

I have read some info on pregnancy induced carpal tunnel but I don't know much about it. Do you think this is something I should worry about or is it a normal pregnancy thing?

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my wonderful siggy!

Me: Kristine

November 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am pretty sure I had pregnancy induced carpal tunnel with my last pregnancy. There really isn't anything you can do about it, I don't think. If I remember, it started with the night stuff (which I have going on sometimes with this pregnancy too) and progressed to random numbness during the day too. It completely went away not long after delivery. I tnk there are some wrist guards that you can get to wear at night, if it is really bad while you sleep. I don't know how expensive they are, though, or how easy they are to find.

November 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had it horribly bad with my first pregnancy.

I tried a brace, but it just irritated me more.

Thankfully any discomfort this time has been minimal.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

November 23rd, 2011, 11:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It's pretty common, due to the extra fluid we have compressing our nerves.

I had it last pregnancy--about this time, mid 2nd trimester, but it wasn't so bad. Mostly it would be tingling/numbness while sleeping or doing things with my elbow bent like talking on the phone or drying my hair.

It went away for a while but then came back with a vengeance for about the last month. I would wake up in absolute pain, hurting from my wrist to my shoulder. It would be on the side I was lying on, so I would switch to the other side. An hour or two later, I would wake up again. I just had to switch positions all night.

Until I started wearing wrist braces. They worked so well for me!!! You can find them in the $15-$20 range at a pharmacy or pharmacy section in Target.

The numbness at night has begun, but I haven't yet broken out the braces. I try to go to sleep with my arms straight, not bent.

Maybe it's psychological, but as I type this my wrists are hurting!!!
November 23rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I've had this in past pregnancies, now my wrists are fused and I have no issues. There are these soft, sort of glove like (without the fingers) type braces and they worked the best for me in terms of comfort. The hard braces would start to ache after a while
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 23rd, 2011, 07:02 PM
Dan's wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had any numbness but I do have a lump on my wrist that I asked the dr about today. He said it was a ganglion cyst. It comes and goes so I'm just ignoring it. It usually doesn't get too painful, sometimes just a little sore.

November 23rd, 2011, 10:03 PM
Momma to 2 and one angel
I havnt had any new numbness in my wrists but the constant numbness I have had for 10 years has gotten worse and it hurts if anything touches it.

10 years ago I tried to donate blood and when they stuck me with the needle I felt a horrible electric type pain down my arm they claim it was just my vein collapsing however I think they did nerve damage cause it is still numb and painfull at times ehhh the numbness goes from elbow to my wrist on the inside of my arm grr

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search