Babywearing...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2011, 10:14 AM
mythreesons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Anyone have any suggestions on the best carriers? I had a Snugli with DS#1 but have since heard that they are not the best to use. I had a hotsling with DS#3 and I liked it well enough...not the best but not the best.

I have heard good things about the Ergo but was wondering how they are with newborns. I was also thinking about getting a wrap of some sort (maybe a Moby but I wasn't sure how they were with older infants. Does anyone have any info. In case it helps, I am a larger person (size 18) don;t know if that makes any difference.

Thanks!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my wonderful siggy!

Me: Kristine

November 23rd, 2011, 10:22 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a MOBY, and I LOVED it! Especially when they are tiny. Some people don't like them, because it is a lot of fabric to deal with, but my DD loved to be all wrapped up next to me and then she would just sleep away while I did other things. I used it when she was bigger as well. It was fine. There are a lot of different carries you can use. The only thing I found was the fabric stretches a bit over time of wearing it, especially when they are bigger and heavier, so if wearing it long term, you have to tighten it.

I really want an Ergo this time around to use as well. I don't have any advice about them, other than I have heard nothing but great things. You do have to buy the infant insert separate to be able to use it when they are tiny.

I know the MOBY comes in a longer size, if you are concerned it would be too small. (I was a size 18 with my last baby, and I think I bought the extended version. I can't remember.) You can also buy an extender for the Ergo. So your size really shouldn't be an issue.

November 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had a Moby D with my DD and I was about a size 18 as well. I don't think they make the Moby D anymore, but I had no problems wrapping mine...plus I think the "D" was just the deluxe patterns.

I still have my Moby and love it. I like feeling snuggly with the baby. Like Whitney, I'm also hoping to get an Ergo this time around for when baby gets a little older.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

November 23rd, 2011, 10:32 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I still see the MOBY D on their site. It looks to be a bit smaller, by 1/2 a meter, than the original.

I let my friend borrow mine to see if she liked it, and she ended up buying one of her own. I told her I couldn't remember if mine was the longer version or not, and she said she thought hers was about the same length as mine. I tied mine in the front instead if the back, which was never a big deal.

November 23rd, 2011, 10:40 AM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am getting an Ergo for sure, and possibly a moby for when they are wee. I think that Beth will be a wealth of knowledge on this so I want to see what she has to say.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!
November 23rd, 2011, 10:56 AM
Veteran
I was looking at this coat thing, that is a maternity coat, and then turns into a baby wrap. Besides the price, the only issue I have with it.. I'll be prego in winter, but baby will be here in the spring. In TX.. by March it's already 80. So it doesn't seem very practical to me.
November 23rd, 2011, 11:10 AM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got an Ergo for when she's a big bigger (also for DH since he would never wear a cloth type of wrap). I plan to get the Moby wrap for when she is smaller. I've heard great things about both!

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
November 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Mei Tai, moby, and ergo are all my favorites.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 23rd, 2011, 12:15 PM
If you could only buy one...at least for the first 4 months, what would it be?

November 23rd, 2011, 12:19 PM
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Moby would be my top pick if I could only own one, especially in the early months. I love my other wraps, but I don't even use them until the baby is at least 6ish months.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

November 23rd, 2011, 05:09 PM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My son LIVED in a sling (had both hotsling and a peanut shell) for about the first year. I put him on in the morning, and took him off at night Once he got a about 6 months I used a scootababy a lot! Here's a link for scootababy Scootababy Hip Carrier
I tried the moby wrap, i found that it was too much of a pain to get baby in and out of. But my babes were very little (always stayed in 0-5%), if I had heavier babies I would see the benifit of the Moby. With a Moby wrap the baby is pulled toward your body so there is no pulling down from the weight of the baby.

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

November 23rd, 2011, 11:48 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^^
I just got this vision of a girl all "Oh hold on my outfit isn't complete yet" *puts on baby* "ok we can go now!" with the "put him on/take him off" comment haha

November 24th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sister and my best friend used a moby wrap with their kids. it just looked so difficult to me, but they loved them and I may try them out with this baby if they want to pass one on to me....I don't want to spend that much money on something I probably won't use that often!

November 25th, 2011, 11:31 AM
My kids are hardly ever on the growth charts, and the moby works just fine for them.

November 25th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Momma to 2 and one angel
I want to try a Moby. I havent thought much of other ones yet I was just gonna go as I need lol

November 26th, 2011, 05:11 AM
I think a friend of mine has a Moby, I may ask her if I can try it to see if I like it.

November 26th, 2011, 06:47 AM
I think the most "difficult" thing about the Moby is learning how to tie it. I just practiced it before she got here and would pre-tie it before we went out anywhere so I would only have to just put her in when we went out.

November 26th, 2011, 08:51 AM
It didn't take me any time at all to learn the ties. It looks more difficult than it is. I do tie it on before I leave though, so I'm not trailing it on the ground in the parking lot.

November 26th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Notice I put difficult in quotes, to emphasize that people perceive it to be difficult, not that it really is.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search