Question for those who have been induced before

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 28th, 2011, 10:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know I'm thinking ahead and hopefully I won't need either of these this time around either, but I was curious for those who have been induced did you get cytotec or cervidil first and if so what was your experience? Any side effects? Was it helpful? Would you suggest it?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w.../ryderlee1.gif
November 29th, 2011, 05:20 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did not. We went straight to the pitocin. I have often wondered though, if my induction would have been successful had we used it.

November 29th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Babytooth's Avatar Coral
My water broke before I went into labor, so I went to the hospital and they decided to induce me. I was about 1 cm dilated. I had the cervidil inserted and had to stay laying down for 2 hours to let it work... Turns out that the cervidil itself did the trick... Within 30 mins I started having strong contractions that were one on top of the other. I didn't get pitocin. My daughter was born 6 hours later. It was pretty powerful stuff for me. No side effects for me other than labor!

November 29th, 2011, 06:49 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by woohoo502 View Post
I did not. We went straight to the pitocin. I have often wondered though, if my induction would have been successful had we used it.

When they started the induction I was barely 1 cm dilated, after 12 hours on a pit drip I had made NO progress at all. I know my mom had to have pitocin with all of us because her labor would stall, and she had no problems. So the only reason I can figure it did nothing for me at first was because my body just hadn't even started preparing for birth yet. Once they did the cervadil things picked up a lot. I went from 1 to like 8 in six hours, and then stalled once they removed it and had to have the pitocin started back up. That was the freaking longest 30 hours of my life.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
November 29th, 2011, 07:09 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
If you've got to use something other than pitocin, I think the better of the two is supposed to be cervadil. I've actually hard some growing concern and cautions about cytotec not actually being approved by the FDA for inductions (it's used for some other procedure as well), and it potentially being a risk to mother and baby? I haven't done a LOT of research on it yet though... If you think you're going to be induced, that might be a good discussion to have with your doctor.

I don't have any experience first hand with inductions - I did get some pitocin late in my labor with Eric when I'd stalled out in transition, but it was very minimal, and I was obviously pretty far along already.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
November 29th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
My cervix is always ripe when I'm induced so I've never had it done just the pitocin with DD.
November 29th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I can't remember how far I was dialated when I was induced. But it couldn't have been very far because I did have cervadil, starting around 8p.m. and getting pitocin around 7 the next morning. I started having contractions in the middle of the night, but I didn't give birth until after 6 p.m. So almost 24 hours from cervadil to pitocin to delivery.

I dont' know if I had any side effects from the cervadil because I was dealing with the contractions and not getting much sleep. But once I had the pitocin and an epidural (I can't remember when that was put in, but I think it was not too long after the drip started) I was able to get a fair amount of sleep.

I can't say if this was "helpful" because I have nothing really to compare it to. That's just my experience!
November 29th, 2011, 08:53 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

I was admitted to the hospital Wednesday night and they gave me a cervadil sometime that evening, then started the pitocin around 6 am, broke my water around 8 and Colin was born a little after 12. I also don't know if there was any side effects because I was in the pain of labor

November 29th, 2011, 09:38 AM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was induced with both kids but never got to the pitocin as the gel they put in the night before was enough for me.

November 29th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Super Mommy
I was induced with my 2nd and they also went straight with the pitocin, I know I have had a few friends try the cervidil first with no luck. I will be scheduled again this time around for induction but probably will go before hand like the rest of my labors.
November 29th, 2011, 01:12 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No experience here either, but wanted to piggyback off what Kel said. I've heard bad things about cytotec as well, so just do your research on the safety concerns with that one.

I hope you don't have to be induced.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

November 29th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi ladies, sorry, I was lurking, I was part of this board previously, but had a loss in late August. I was induced with DD, I didn't have either one of those, I had the foley balloon, they insert a balloon into your cervix and fill it with water and you sleep with it overnight, I was able to get in and out of bed with it. It did the trick, because the contractions were not doing it - I had been having contractions (albeit not painful ones) for weeks and dilated only 1 cm. The balloon caused me to go to 4 cm overnight, which it was only supposed to help get me to 3 and when they removed it, my water broke, they weren't expecting that either They started the pitocin and 5.5 hours later, DD was born.

Cytotec is used (FDA approved) for the prevention of NSAID induced ulcers. The company that produces it has actually released letters of warnings for it not to be used on pregnant women. I would definitely talk to your doc about it and find out your options if you need to be induced, some women don't need cervix ripening at all, even if being induced!

November 29th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto that cytotec is not FDA approved for inducing women.

After going thru 3 days of induction hell, I would NEVER advise it. I would rather do a elective c/s.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

November 29th, 2011, 04:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't need to be induced with dd, I went on my own, so I'm hoping for the same this time around. I was just curious for future reference in case I need to have this conversation with my ob. I know cytotec is taken orally for abortions early on but can be used vaginally to ripen the cervix, I don't know what my ob uses to be honest never needed it. Just was watching baby stories and saw they both were used on different patients of course.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w.../ryderlee1.gif
November 29th, 2011, 04:50 PM
JesSsica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with my first (two weeks overdue... ugh) and they basically broke my water and used Pitocin. My water was broken at around 9am and I pushed her out at 5:07.
Cole Anthony 5-23-2002
Mia Annelise 3-29-2012

^angel^ 10wks, 2 days, D&C 12wks, 3 days 11-2-09
^angel^ 5wks, 5 days 1-2-10
^angel^ 11wks, 1 day 5-22-10 with D&C
November 29th, 2011, 04:53 PM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was induced at 38 weeks with DS because of pre-e. I was already 3cm dilated and 70% effaced, so they just started pitocin. I had a wonderful experience.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

November 29th, 2011, 05:40 PM
chapsgirl07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was 2-3 cm when they started my pitocin. I, too, had a great experience.

November 29th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by humnck View Post
Hi ladies, sorry, I was lurking, I was part of this board previously, but had a loss in late August. I was induced with DD, I didn't have either one of those, I had the foley balloon, they insert a balloon into your cervix and fill it with water and you sleep with it overnight, I was able to get in and out of bed with it. It did the trick, because the contractions were not doing it - I had been having contractions (albeit not painful ones) for weeks and dilated only 1 cm. The balloon caused me to go to 4 cm overnight, which it was only supposed to help get me to 3 and when they removed it, my water broke, they weren't expecting that either They started the pitocin and 5.5 hours later, DD was born.

Cytotec is used (FDA approved) for the prevention of NSAID induced ulcers. The company that produces it has actually released letters of warnings for it not to be used on pregnant women. I would definitely talk to your doc about it and find out your options if you need to be induced, some women don't need cervix ripening at all, even if being induced!
So sorry for you loss....but congrats on your current pregnancy!! Sending lots of sticky dust to you!

November 29th, 2011, 08:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My doctor used cytotec for me when they induced me after my baby passed. My doctor said he would never use cytotec for a live birth.

DD Brooklynn 8-4-01
DD Libby 6-18-04
DS Gavin 8-20-08
DS Carter born still 3-2-11 (20 weeks)
It's a GIRL!!! EDD 3-6-12

Make a pregnancy ticker
November 29th, 2011, 08:34 PM
Dizzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well now I'm just counting my blessings that everything went well for us!!

I did get induced with my daughter and as I was showing absolutely zero signs of labor I was put on pitocin and given several doses of cytotec. After 26 hours I was given a spinal block and prepped for a c-section only to go ahead and have her in the hallway so ..

As for side effects .. To be quite honest, they were pumping me so full of stadol that I couldn't tell you what was doing what to me, all I know is I felt like CRAP. I was SO sick and uncomfortable and insanely dizzy, I felt like I'd been pushed on a merry-go-round for hours.. pretty sure that was only the stadol doing all of that, though lol My last pregnancy I requested to skip any pain medications all together because .. ew.

My daughter was born perfectly healthy and alert and she still is to this day

Given the choice, I'd never choose to be induced again, though. My natural birth went WAY smoother, faster and my body knew exactly what it was supposed to be doing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search