Rant re sleep

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2011, 03:19 AM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
I have been up for four hours and it's only 7am. I hate that whenever I tell someone I'm not sleeping well, they say one of two things:

- You should get your sleep now before the baby comes! There's no more sleep after that.
- it's your body's way of preparing you for having a newborn and being up at all hours.

Great. Do they think that I have no idea what is in store with a newborn? Do they think I don't wait in dread of the first sleepless months of parenthood? And last of all, do they think I really want to hear that stuff after 5.5 months of not getting one single good night's sleep? Seriously. Almost SIX months of fractured sleep on the nights I'm lucky enough to sleep at all.

And while I'm ranting, WHY do people say the stupidest things to hormonal pregnant women? Things they would never say to a non-pregnan person, they turn around and say to the very people who have the least patience to deal with it. And we're forced to hear the same things over and over as if we'd never heard it from anyone else. Grrrrrrrrrr!!

Now it's time for me to drag my tired butt to work and pretend I'm capable of productivity today. I should call in sick but I'm far too guilt-ridden for that.

*end rant*

~*Kimi*~
Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
November 29th, 2011, 04:25 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm sorry you aren't sleeping well. People do say the dumbest things sometimes. I guess they are trying to be helpful or supportive, but these are the last things a tired, hormonal pregnant woman wants to hear.

Just try to remember, this too shall pass. And think of how rested you will be during those first months after baby is born. I remember feeling like I had never slept so well in my life, being up twice a night with my DD vs. a million and one times during the third trimester.

November 29th, 2011, 04:37 AM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
You slept more with a newborn? That gives me such hope!!!!

~*Kimi*~
Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
November 29th, 2011, 05:45 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Kimi I agree with Whitney! I slept MUCH better with a newborn than I did when I was pregnant. When we're pregnant, our bodies are not our own. It's uncomfortable.

From my experience yesterday, people expect us to just grin and bear all the discomforts of pregnancy since we are in fact pregnant, but that's unrealistic...at least in my book. I have probably complained this entire pregnancy, and I DON'T CARE. I know I love and want this baby and that's all that matters. As a matter of fact, anyone who really knows me knows how much I want and love this baby.

Once you have the baby, all those hormones and pains that are interfering with our sleep are gone, so even if you only get sleep in 3 hour spurts, it's a comfortable three hours.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

November 29th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
I agree to the better sleep after birth!! Everytime some rude person (usually well meaning crazy old women) over hears me complaining to DH about how tired I am from lack of sleep speaks up about how much worse its going to be. I throw back in their face that my first was born sleeping 8 hours straight and he did it at night. My DD would wake at night but not to play, just to eat and go back to sleep. It was much more restful than being uncomfortable and having to pee every few hours and being kicked at night, or the heartburn that rolls in at 3 am that tums can't even get a handle on. Lol yes a newborn is much better and I got way more sleep than being pregnant!!
November 29th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have to reinforce everything that was said above. The last few weeks of pregnancy I slept horribly. Once baby was born, I wouldn't get a lot of sleep all at once, but when I did sleep I was OUT right away. I would wake only when baby cried. So the bits of sleep I got were quality sleep.

Unfortunately DS did not sleep through the night until 18 (yes 18) months so the buildup of that inconsistent sleep was not very helpful. (He still tends to wake and cry 1-3 times per night, but he goes right back to sleep.) Even if your baby is "average," it will only be poor sleep for a few months.
November 29th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK, I'm glad I'm not the only one, but aside from getting up a couple times a night for feedings, I slept just fine after my kids were born. I napped when they napped, etc. Now, it could be different with this one since Colin will be 2 when he's born....but I guess we'll just see

November 29th, 2011, 08:43 AM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, this thread is actually pretty encouraging to me. I guess I hadn't thought about the fact that it will be easier to sleep after baby is born since we won't have to pee all of the time and it won't be like sleeping on a bowling ball anymore! I'm a stomach sleeper so it's getting harder and harder to get comfortable even though I have one of those maternity pillows (which is a lifesaver!)

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
November 29th, 2011, 08:46 AM
So now I have to wonder...why is it that people try to scare you when you're pregnant with how sleepy you'll be when baby gets here? I mean, I understand everyone won't feel so good, but I find that reading stuff and people's advice made pregnancy and motherhood worse than it actually turned out to be.

Oh...I will say this though...newborns/infants ARE the easy part.

November 29th, 2011, 10:36 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
With Belly and Zach I slept way better after they were born since we did nursing and bed-sharing. Ryan was a little more difficult at night since he took a bottle, but even that wasn't as bad as trying to sleep while pregnant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2noelle View Post
Oh...I will say this though...newborns/infants ARE the easy part.
Gosh yes! It seems once all of mine hit the toddler stage they forgot how to sleep through the whole night. Ryan is almost 6 and I don't think he has slept through the whole night since he was like 2.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
November 30th, 2011, 12:46 AM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ya know I've never thought of it this way but you all have a good point.
The reasons I've been having such issues sleeping well now is I can't lay in a comfortable position, I get heartburn, I have to pee constantly, baby beats me up from the inside etc. All issues that will disappear once I give birth.

And what IS with people trying to scare new moms? I swear all I hear is how hard it's going to be, and very rarely anything good.

And back to the original post:
What is the point of the first response? Like you're trying to sleep crappy? Cause I know I like to make life as hard as possible at all times for myself...

November 30th, 2011, 03:26 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I totally agree that sleeping with a newborn is cake. They sleep ALL THE TIME. So yeah if you try to maintain your pre-baby habit of only sleeping from 11-7 (or whatever), you're going to die of exhaustion bc the baby will be up from 1-2 and 5-6. But if you sleep when the baby sleeps as much as possible, you'll be golden. My dd from her first day home from the hospital slept from 9pm-10am and ate at 12, 3, and 6. After the first two weeks, she only ate twice AND I could nurse her without really waking up Compare that to getting up at 5am every day for work and I was on easy street! When I went back to work, I started going to bed a little earlier bc I had to feed her once in the night and still be up at 5. But you adjust gradually and take naps when you need them and you learn not to exhaust yourself while you're awake (ie cleaning the entire house or walking the mall for 3 hours would qualify as a BAD idea).

And God help me having a baby that's can't walk is sooooooooo much easier than one who can get into things in the blink of an eye, run away, climb out of her own bed, drink out of the toilet, and color on the television with a marker all faster than you can even figure out where she is much less what she is doing!

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
November 30th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaMomma! View Post
And God help me having a baby that's can't walk is sooooooooo much easier than one who can get into things in the blink of an eye, run away, climb out of her own bed, drink out of the toilet, and color on the television with a marker all faster than you can even figure out where she is much less what she is doing!
I'm very sorry about your tv.

And yes, my dd used to swirl her pacifier in the toilet...

November 30th, 2011, 04:16 PM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaMomma! View Post
Or get into the back of the house, empty out both huge containers of Legos, two different bookshelves, stick her lovey in the toilet, put makeup on him (and lotion), then put makeup and lotion all over herself too, all while you make her lunch.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search