We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
My doctor emailed me this last week informing me that I need to be off pain meds 2 weeks before delivery, and that she would most likely be preforming my c-section at 37wks. I'm not sure how I feel about this.. 37wks! I assume she wants to deliver me becasue I've had 3 other c's and the risk for placenta acceta is higher. My last babe was delivered at 36wks, he did ok but I do wonder if his comming early had something to do with all his eating problems.
I'm thinking that maybe I should push to see if I can get those extra couple of weeks. WDYT? Who else is having planed early deliveries? How do you feel about them missing the extra weeks of development. 37weeks is term, but in the weeks to follow they put on more fat and thier gut develops more.
Personally I think that 37 weeks is a little early. I will also be having my fourth c-section and it is scheduled for 39 weeks 1 day. My first was an emergency section at 38 weeks and the rest were at 39 weeks 1 day. My OB told me that they don;t like to do it early than 39 weeks. Did you have problems with your first pregnancies? Is your doctor worried about something happening?
37 weeks is term but if you dont feel comfortable with that ask if they can do it at 38 wks. In the last couple weeks they are just packing on baby fat mostly.
I had my 2nd son just at 36 weeks and we had alot of eating/nursing problems and on top of that my milk never came in till he was almost 3 wks old. I was told his latch problems ect ect was due to him being early.
My OB wants to try to get us to 38 wks this time so here a hopeing.
Lung development is also continuing after 37 weeks.
If she's a good doctor, she's taking into account all risks and basing her decision on what has the lowest risk. So, the risk of a complication in the baby's health if it is born at 37 weeks is lower than the risk of a complication from delivering after 37 weeks.
Of course, you can never know for sure if that's the approach the doctor is taking. I would suggest getting a 2nd or even 3rd opinion, and hopefully you can find some sort of consensus.
From what I've read when placenta accreta is suspected doctors usually go in at 37wks because they don't want you go to into labor on your own.
I had my last at 37 weeks becasue I had vesa previa (blood vessel ran across my cervix) so again they didn't want me to go into labor and start dialating. I ended up going into labor anyways after they gave me the amnio to see if his lungs were developed. His birth was insanely fast, I didn't even have time for my mom to run down to the gift store and get a camera, dh just barely made it in time!
Personally, I would push to schedule it at 39 weeks. The March of Dimes has launched a great campaign lately encouraging babies not to be scheduled before then due to prematurity issues - 37 weeks being term is mostly because the survival rate is very high, but that doesn't mean they don't have problems! IMO, unless you have a history of going into labor early, you'll be fairly safe not to begin labor on your own before 39 weeks...and if you do, you can always rush to a hospital at the first sign of it starting. You could also suggest monitoring at 37-38 weeks to make sure labor isn't beginning, you know?
I would wait until 39 weeks. I will be doing mine between 36-37 weeks (4th c section) but it's for medical reasons and I have to have steroid shots for his lungs and an amnio to verify lung maturity. I am not happy about it but in my case it's definitely necessity.
I would want to get as close to 40 weeks as possible, but your dr. may know best. I would want to speak with them directly and see if they are willing to push it back a little. I'm not really sure why they would send you an email instead of meeting face to face to discuss something like this.
I would also wait until closer to 40 weeks. I had my second csection 14 days early and my son had problems with his stomach as well as breathing issues. My doc wanted him out before he grew to large (gd). He was only 7.11- not big at all.
My doc this time around said that waiting until after 39 weeks should help prevent these problems and the size of a csection baby does not really matter.