BTDT Moms that breastfed AND pumped

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 29th, 2011, 10:22 PM
pixiedust012404's Avatar Lovin my baby girl
So I have been sort of reading up on it but wanted to know what you all felt worked best for you.

Once Katelynn's 3 months, I'll be going back to work and soon after that, going to school a few hours a week also. I want to breastfeed, so I'm gonna have to pump. I have a couple questions for you all.

1.) When do you feel is the best time to begin pumping to work up a stock?

2.) When do you feel is the best time to start giving baby a bottle of expressed milk? I don't want to cause nipple confusion but it's important to me to have enough time to really get her used to the bottle before she absolutly has to take one. My nephew refused bottles to the point that if you gave him a bottle he'd put himself to sleep so you'd stop trying to give it to him. My SIL ended up not being able to go back to work because he would only take the breast. This is not an option for me for right now.

3.) Who should introduce baby to the bottle? Should I be the one trying to bottle feed or would it be more benefical to have someone else do it, since DH and our daycare provider will be feeding her when I'm not around?

I don't think this will start any conflicts but I'll add the disclaimer that this post is meant to be benefical and not to say who's way is better. I am just curious what you feel worked best for you.

thank you jaidynsmum for my siggie!

November 29th, 2011, 10:53 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I can't give you much advice since I'm a first time mom BUT

I know breastmilk can be frozen for 3 months or so [in a regular freezer] so really you could start pumping as soon as your milk comes in to stock up.

I've heard both ways on who should give the bottle, but the one that made the most sense was having DH [or someone else] give the bottle. That way baby doesn't get confused as much. She'll know when mom is around she gets milk from the breast, and when someone else is around she gets it from a bottle. So I'd start off with that, and if she is being difficult for awhile maybe have you try then.

--
Can I reccomend The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding? It's got whole sections on introducing bottles, pumping, and working and breastfeeding

November 30th, 2011, 01:06 AM
I'm guessing that's a book?? I've been wanting to get a book on breast feeding so I'll check that one out. I'm also going to a breastfeeding class tomorrow and I am guessing they might touch on pumping, but am curious to see what's worked for people I "know" lol

November 30th, 2011, 01:29 AM
Yeah, pregnancy brain I thought I said it was a book haha.

It was the one I got reccomended the most, and then I sat on the floor of the bookstore and vaguely looked through every book they had on breastfeeding [there wasn't THAT many] and still chose that one.

November 30th, 2011, 04:27 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I went beck to work when DD was 3 months old and pumped for her. Let me see if I can help.

I don't remember specifically setting out to build a freezer stash. I did pump at times when I was engorged and needed relief. Or there were times that she would only eat on one side and I would pump the other. A friend of mine suggested though, that if you want to build a stash, pick a set time to pump, and do it regularly. Your body will then make milk for it like it is a regular feeding. I didn't do it, but should have, because I didn't ave much in the freezer when I went back to work, and used a bunch of it trying to teach her to use a bottle.

2.) When do you feel is the best time to start giving baby a bottle of expressed milk?
I know personally, we waited too long. DD had a rough time adjusting, and before she went to daycare, she wouldn't take a bottle. She adjusted within a week of daycare, and was fine after that. I think I have read 4 to 6 weeks to introduce a bottle. Once breastfeeding is firmly established, but not so late that they reject the bottle.

3.) Who should introduce baby to the bottle?
I would have DH or someone else do it. They can smell the milk on you, and will be less likely to take the bottle.

I also recommend kellymom :: Breastfeeding and Parenting It is a great site with tons of good information about breastfeeding.

November 30th, 2011, 04:41 AM
Momma to 2 and one angel
I am gonna have the same problem with school but I have to go back right away so DH and I are makeing a plan on not giveing a bottle at all at first and only working with a cup, finger feeder, or dropper. I am going to start pumping right away as soon as we get home from the hospital and the baby isnt cluster feeding or right after he feeds.

I wont be gone much for school since I only have webinar classes so I dont have to go on campus. However, at least once a week I will have to go spend a few hours at a court house so on those days we are going to need an alternative.

November 30th, 2011, 07:10 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I just wanted to say good luck, hon!! Kellymom.com has some awesome resources for pumping moms. I pumped and breastfed until Danny was 11 months old, working full time...but unfortunately, while I can answer a LOT of questions, I can't help with your specific ones With Danny being in the NICU for the first 2 months, there was no opportunity to stash before I went back to work, and of course the bottle got introduced as soon as he was strong enough to try eating with one. I would make sure you introduce a bottle at least a few weeks before you go back to work just so you can find the bottles that work for your baby - every baby seems to have their own opinion of what bottle is best, LOL, and sometimes they'll refuse one type of bottle but not another.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
November 30th, 2011, 07:31 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust012404 View Post
So I have been sort of reading up on it but wanted to know what you all felt worked best for you.

Once Katelynn's 3 months, I'll be going back to work and soon after that, going to school a few hours a week also. I want to breastfeed, so I'm gonna have to pump. I have a couple questions for you all.

2.) When do you feel is the best time to start giving baby a bottle of expressed milk? I don't want to cause nipple confusion but it's important to me to have enough time to really get her used to the bottle before she absolutly has to take one. My nephew refused bottles to the point that if you gave him a bottle he'd put himself to sleep so you'd stop trying to give it to him. My SIL ended up not being able to go back to work because he would only take the breast. This is not an option for me for right now.

3.) Who should introduce baby to the bottle? Should I be the one trying to bottle feed or would it be more benefical to have someone else do it, since DH and our daycare provider will be feeding her when I'm not around?

I don't think this will start any conflicts but I'll add the disclaimer that this post is meant to be benefical and not to say who's way is better. I am just curious what you feel worked best for you.
Yay!!! Something I was successful with. I didn't read any other responses because I wanted to give you a true representation of my experiences.

1) I started pumping as soon as we came home from the hospital for two reasons: a) DD had trouble latching, so she had to be bottle fed, but I didn't want to give her formula. By the time I went back to work, I probably had about a gallon or more of milk stored and b) I made A LOT of milk so I had to get the relief.

2) As said before, I started bottles immediately because she didn't latch until she was 4 days old. After that, she was about a month old before anyone babysat, so that was when she had bottles again. I think the general rule of thumb though is to wait until you have breastfeeding well established to introduce any other nipples.

3) I was the one to introduce Noelle to the bottle...because I was a single parent in the beginning. Again, we didn't have any problems with nipple confusion either thankfully.

A lot of what I did was just how the cards fell in my particular situation. Aside from early latching issues, we had NO problems. I pumped 2-3 times a day once I went back to work and nursed as soon as we got home. I pumped until DD was about 10 months and then she switched to straight formula bottles while I was at work and breastmilk when I was home. I nursed for 13 months. Just adding that in there in the event that you wonder how often to pump.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Last edited by mommy2noelle; November 30th, 2011 at 07:34 AM.
November 30th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if what I did was "best for me," but I will share what I did and comment on how well it worked. I was in the same situation as you--went back to work FT after 3 months.

Right away! As soon as you have energy to dedicate the time. The strongest memory I have of the first couple weeks was that feeding was a full time job. I was either nursing or pumping around the clock. Mostly nursing, though. I feel like I didn't pump enough. My frozen stock ran out after just a couple months back at work, so I had to start supplementing with formula earlier than I would have liked. I remember some mommies saying they had a freezer full of milk, so it can be done!

I did it right away, even in the hospital. He was in the NICU and my milk wasn't coming in quickly enough, and I had had gestational diabetes so we had to keep his sugar levels even. So we supplemented with forumla there, and for the first week or so at home. After that it was mostly breast milk. We didn't have any nipple confusion.

Since we did it right away, DH would give a little in a bottle. It wasn't a problem.

Last edited by pumpkinpie24; November 30th, 2011 at 09:29 AM.
November 30th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Thank you ladies! Your responses are pretty close to what I've read online. It's much appreciated!!

November 30th, 2011, 02:53 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle

Right away! Not necessarily bc of the stash issue but bc as a pp mentioned it will encourage milk production and you will need it. Even the best pump cannot get as much out of the breast as a baby. SO pumping moms have to basically overproduce in order to extract enough. I was told to pump for 15 min after every feeding. That SO did not happen. Feedings in the beginning can take a long time. So let's say I started nursing her at 1. I might not finish until 1:30. She has to eat again at 3. And I'm supposed to sit there and pump until 1:45? Noooooooo thanks. But pumping once a day worked for me. I did it in the morning bc that's when I had the most extra milk. This time around I'll probably try to do it twice a day bc more would have been better. FWIW the ladies I know who DID pump for 15 min after every feeding for the first few weeks had an AWESOME milk supply.

There's no magic number. You want breastfeeding to be well established and the latch to be successful. You will know when that happens. In the beginning breastfeeding is HARD work. It takes a lot of effort and after each feeding you feel this sense of "whew! that was tough and i'm kinda glad it's over but hurray for another successful feeding!" And then at some point, you both click and it becomes easy. You will find yourself yanking up your shirt, popping a boob in her mouth, she latches immediately, you flip channels for 5-10 min and then she's done and full. And you will have this epiphany like "oh hey this used to be really hard but now it's super easy!" And THAT is when you can introduce anything you want to and it'll make no difference. Booby-babies aren't gonna give up a warm, yummy booby for a piece of plastic.

It kinda depends on the baby. My dd took to the bottle right away without any trouble and I was the one giving it to her. For a baby that initially doesn't want it, Mom should leave the house completely and let someone else try. You can't even be there bc if she smells you, she isn't gonna want that bottle. But if you're gone and she thinks it's the only source of food, she will be more likely to try it and realize that while it's not as awesome as Mommy, it'll do in a pinch.

Oh and this is just my own personal pet peeve - I think "nipple confusion" is a misleading term. Most babies who try a bottle too soon aren't confused - they're smart. Getting milk out of a boob takes WORK. With a bottle you just lay there and it drips in your mouth. All you have to do is swallow from time to time. Being a newborn is hard work and you're exhausted ALL the time. So if someone is gonna do all the work for you, why wouldn't you let them? And if someone demands you work for your dinner and all you have to do to earn the easy meal ticket is refuse to suckle, what baby in his right mind is gonna work at latching? Confusion my butt. More like laziness

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/

Last edited by WhoaMomma!; November 30th, 2011 at 02:58 PM.
November 30th, 2011, 05:27 PM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1.) When do you feel is the best time to begin pumping to work up a stock? I started pumping as soon as I got home from the hospital. I made sure that baby was a *one boob* per meal baby by feeding on one side and pumping the other.....then the next feeding I'd feed on the other side and pump the other breast...that way I always had a spare *meal*....when baby would go through a growth spurt, I'd still do the same....just more often. By the time I went back to work, I'd have a good 100+oz stored in the freezer (I also us BM to mix in with cereal when we start cereal)

2.) When do you feel is the best time to start giving baby a bottle of expressed milk?With my DD, we didn't start giving bottles until she was around 8 wks old (I went back to work at 12wks) and it was a bit rough....but she got the hang of it. With William....he'd nurse all night long and then refuse the bottle 100% during the day, and then we'd nurse as soon as I picked him up from daycare. We started giving Ethan a bottle when he was about 2 weeks old (one a day)...he had no problems taking a bottle.

3.) Who should introduce baby to the bottle? I'd let my kids or or DH feed the baby the bottle. If I was around, my kids would refuse the bottle and wait for me.

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
November 30th, 2011, 09:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
With dd I let nursing get established first for 4 weeks and then started pumping if she didn't finish on a side and always set aside an extra feeding just to pump so my milk supply would increase. I made dh give bottles she nursed with me whenever I was home and even if I'd try she refused the bottle from me which was fine. I had more than enough supply and I nursed and pumped for her for 20 months. I just made sure I nursed her before I left for work and had her on a schedule to nurse when I got home so she was only getting 2 bottles while I was at work at the most.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w.../ryderlee1.gif
November 30th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoaMomma! View Post

Right away! Not necessarily bc of the stash issue but bc as a pp mentioned it will encourage milk production and you will need it. Even the best pump cannot get as much out of the breast as a baby. SO pumping moms have to basically overproduce in order to extract enough. I was told to pump for 15 min after every feeding. That SO did not happen. Feedings in the beginning can take a long time. So let's say I started nursing her at 1. I might not finish until 1:30. She has to eat again at 3. And I'm supposed to sit there and pump until 1:45? Noooooooo thanks. But pumping once a day worked for me. I did it in the morning bc that's when I had the most extra milk. This time around I'll probably try to do it twice a day bc more would have been better. FWIW the ladies I know who DID pump for 15 min after every feeding for the first few weeks had an AWESOME milk supply.

There's no magic number. You want breastfeeding to be well established and the latch to be successful. You will know when that happens. In the beginning breastfeeding is HARD work. It takes a lot of effort and after each feeding you feel this sense of "whew! that was tough and i'm kinda glad it's over but hurray for another successful feeding!" And then at some point, you both click and it becomes easy. You will find yourself yanking up your shirt, popping a boob in her mouth, she latches immediately, you flip channels for 5-10 min and then she's done and full. And you will have this epiphany like "oh hey this used to be really hard but now it's super easy!" And THAT is when you can introduce anything you want to and it'll make no difference. Booby-babies aren't gonna give up a warm, yummy booby for a piece of plastic.

It kinda depends on the baby. My dd took to the bottle right away without any trouble and I was the one giving it to her. For a baby that initially doesn't want it, Mom should leave the house completely and let someone else try. You can't even be there bc if she smells you, she isn't gonna want that bottle. But if you're gone and she thinks it's the only source of food, she will be more likely to try it and realize that while it's not as awesome as Mommy, it'll do in a pinch.

Oh and this is just my own personal pet peeve - I think "nipple confusion" is a misleading term. Most babies who try a bottle too soon aren't confused - they're smart. Getting milk out of a boob takes WORK. With a bottle you just lay there and it drips in your mouth. All you have to do is swallow from time to time. Being a newborn is hard work and you're exhausted ALL the time. So if someone is gonna do all the work for you, why wouldn't you let them? And if someone demands you work for your dinner and all you have to do to earn the easy meal ticket is refuse to suckle, what baby in his right mind is gonna work at latching? Confusion my butt. More like laziness
Oh the nipple confusion thing reminds me. I remember reading that even as they get older stick with the "newborn sized" nipples on the bottle. That way it doesnt get TOO easy that they'd rather have a bottle instead.

December 1st, 2011, 06:30 PM
Super Mommy
I might be the odd one out here. We did both breast and bottle with both boys from the first day. With my older son I wasn't sure that I would nurse... but I gave it a try and it went ok. Every one in my family took turns bottle feeding our son- I had a csection and was 'out of it' for a couple days. I never made enough milk to store any for him, whenever I pumped he drank it within a couple days.

The second time the same thing happened but I was able to pump between feeds and store about 40 bags so when I went back to work I had enough. I also pumped twice a shift at work which really helped supplement the supply.

Are you gonna be able to pump at work? I only needed 10-15 mins a session so I did it on my break, but that option isn't available for everyone.

We had no problems with nipple confusion- they had breast, bottle and a nuk from the start. This carries over with my kids now- they are not picky eaters... they are piggies. I think I was blessed with two kids who just don't care how they get thier food or what they eat.
December 1st, 2011, 07:09 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Bailey- View Post
Oh the nipple confusion thing reminds me. I remember reading that even as they get older stick with the "newborn sized" nipples on the bottle. That way it doesnt get TOO easy that they'd rather have a bottle instead.
I switched nipple flows from slow to fast with DD and we didn't have problems. I think once they know how to nurse, they just do it. The only problem I had with my DD was as she got older, over 6 months or so, we had to go to a room and nurse in private, because she would get so caught up in what was going on around her and would constantly pop off my boob to "talk" to people. LOL!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 1st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica25 View Post
Are you gonna be able to pump at work? I only needed 10-15 mins a session so I did it on my break, but that option isn't available for everyone.
Thankfully yes! It's law in Oregon now that employers provide employees with 3 fifteen minute breaks (can be paid or unpaid, that's up to the employer) to pump. And it has to be in a comfortable place with a lock. Luckily my office has a lock on the door & blinds on every window, & a fridge. My company usually lets women use my office for pumping, but they have to clock out so it's unpaid.

December 1st, 2011, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2noelle View Post
I switched nipple flows from slow to fast with DD and we didn't have problems. I think once they know how to nurse, they just do it. The only problem I had with my DD was as she got older, over 6 months or so, we had to go to a room and nurse in private, because she would get so caught up in what was going on around her and would constantly pop off my boob to "talk" to people. LOL!
Yeah, obviously I haven't tested it out myself, just what I've heard
Just a good thing to keep in mind, I can't see the harm in sticking with the slow flows all the time just in case you get an ornery baby

And that would be embaressing for sure haha!

December 2nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I never bought new nipples and the slow flow ones worked fine until she switched to a cup. I wasn't refusing to upgrade though - I just never felt like I needed to change them out.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search