There's just not enough room!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2011, 09:31 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
I measured Belly's room, her bed, the crib, the dresser, her current homemade dresser (lol), and her kitchen setup and there is just not enough room! For starters there is nowhere at all for the actual real dresser we were hoping to put in, not unless we want to put it next to the crib - which we will not do. And with the crib in the place of her current dresser there is nowhere for it to go either, not unless we take off 1/2 of it and move it on the same side as her bed. But that leaves us with just 3 tiny drawers and a cubby. I mean her room is TINY, it's only 9x11 (well 13 if you measure the wall that the door cubby is on). I'm pretty nervous putting her kitchen on the same wall as the crib, but it's going to be one of her big presents, and we don't want to have her feel like she's losing her room.
Any ideas on space? She has a deep closet, but it's only 2 feet wide. We've got to figure out another place for clothes, especially since we don't really hang clothes up since Belly likes to be able to get her own clothes.

Here's the basic layout we'll have to do.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
November 30th, 2011, 11:31 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have a similar problem. Noelle's room is 10x12 I think. I had to move her big kitchen into the dining room, which is where all her big toys are. I have an eat in kitchen so we don't use the formal dining room. In her room right now is a twin bed, crib, small dresser, and bookcase.

Is there somewhere else in the house where you could put the kitchen (if it doesn't bother you)? That's all I could suggest, although you gave me an idea.

I haven't bought any clothes storage for the baby yet...I was going to get a dresser just like DD's...but now I'm thinking I could put his dresser in the closet.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

November 30th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Momma to 2 and one angel
Do you use the closet daily? I was gonna suggest putting shelfs in it to use for her clothes instead of a dresser that way she can still get her own clothes but you said it was onyl 2 ft wide so that probley wouldnt work well. But if you dont use the closet daily you can always put a dresser in front of it or her stove something that easily moves when you need to get into the closet.

Space is a hard thing to come by ehhh

This babys dresser is gonna be in my liveing room I already have the dresser in my lveing room its just gonna be his now and not the Sugar gilders anymore lol

November 30th, 2011, 03:39 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Will the dresser fit in the closet? Since you aren't using the closet to hang clothes, at least you could use that space for the dresser. It looks from your diagram like it could. I don't know how to scale it is though.

My DD will be sharing a room with the baby. It is wall to wall furniture in there right now! Totally packed, but we got in what we needed. I actually think we are going to be getting rid of her dresser, because the bed we bought has a ton of storage under it and in the stairs (it's a bunk bed) so we were able to fit both kids' clothes in the bed. DH is dying to get the dresser out of there, so I said I would try it.

December 1st, 2011, 05:50 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I was thinking maybe a dresser or chest of drawers in the closet too. I'm not very good at this stuff though - and am dreading that we'll run into this problem once we get Danny's new bed and try to fit it into the nursery with the crib, LOL.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 1st, 2011, 10:45 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Why don't you want it next to the crib? Can you put the dresser in your room? Thats where the younger kids dressers are in our home, but we co sleep so it makes sense.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 1st, 2011, 11:03 AM
Dizzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All of our dressers are in our closets here, but they fit perfectly without being cramped or anything.. I love having them this way because they're out of the way and leave more room.

I like the shelf idea too if you can't fit a dresser! My sons closet is a bit smaller than the rest of ours with his room being the smallest so we just took the doors off and added a few more shelves and baskets and voila!

December 1st, 2011, 11:12 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
Why don't you want it next to the crib? Can you put the dresser in your room? Thats where the younger kids dressers are in our home, but we co sleep so it makes sense.
Because you're not supposed to have things like that next to cribs...

There's no more room in my room than theirs. We co-sleep, but we also like each kid to have their own defined space, plus during the day I'm not going to be laying the baby down for a nap in my bed alone.

Oh and yeah, we measured the dresser won't fit. It's like 6 inches too wide, and the other half of Bella's homemade dresser is too tall to fit. John wants to look at it and then discuss it more later. Meaning when Mason is 6 months old and I'm yelling at him for never settling this.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
December 1st, 2011, 11:27 AM
Dizzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
John wants to look at it and then discuss it more later. Meaning when Mason is 6 months old and I'm yelling at him for never settling this.
lol Sounds like Joe. I've been asking him to help me rearrange the 4th bedroom so we can make it up for the baby and it was "Memorial weekend we'll do it.." "Thanksgiving weekend we'll do it.." Now it's "Christmas break we'll do it.." ahhh!

December 1st, 2011, 12:09 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaTrish View Post
Because you're not supposed to have things like that next to cribs...
Not supposed to have dressers next to cribs?

Ok...just googled that, and seriously...I had no furniture next to the crib, mattress on lowest setting, and at 18 months or so, DD learned to climb out of her crib. If there is space between the crib and dresser, as your picture indicates, I think the placement is fine. Honestly, kids are going to climb. Anchor the dresser to the wall and leave it at that...plus, it'll be a while before the baby is even big enough/aware enough/developed enough to even pull up, let alone work out the leg lifting, etc of climbing...IMO.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Last edited by mommy2noelle; December 1st, 2011 at 12:14 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search