Log In Sign Up

Bah humbug..


Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
December 1st, 2011, 02:09 PM
Momma to 2 and one angel
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 692
Am I the only one not in the mood for the holidays? I just have no motivation to get my tree up. I still have alot of shopping to do. I am just plain ole cranky these days lol My poor kids have to deal with me every day so does my Dh but he deserves it and is normaly the reason for my mean mood lol He dosnt do anything wrong but the sound of his voice just makes me mad at time lol
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #2  
December 1st, 2011, 04:04 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere near Detroit, MI
Posts: 8,973
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Im not a big fan of the holiday, though that is just my usual mood...lol. I'm not big into Christmas. My older kids joke and call me Mama Scrooge. I try, but the holiday is so commercialized and since the stores start the Christmas push around Halloween, I'm just plain sick of it by December.
I am known to never put up the tree until the weekend before and it comes down Christmas night. Ohhh and please dont play Christmas music around me until the week of Christmas.
My poor kids....lol.
__________________
Jenifer....The Queen Bee
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
December 1st, 2011, 05:54 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 5,718
Dislike.

Cheer up you guys.

Urbanmama (sorry have to remember your name) I ignore Christmas stuff in stores until after Thanksgiving or at least close to Thanksgiving. I LOVE Christmas. It has nothing to do with the shopping/commercial aspect of it. I come from a big family and growing up, we would always have Christmas dinner at my grandparents house...it was all of their children (7), the spouses and boyfriends/girlfriends, and grandchildren. For me, Christmas is a celebration of family. I was also raised Christian, so this helps me keep things in perspective. But I respect other's opinions...just makes me sad when I see folks who seem to forget the reason for the season, in spite of what society tells us. Oh and I hope this doesn't offend you and you don't feel like I'm attacking you. We've all been together for a while, so it's hard not to speak sort of freely.

Melissa, you go sit in the corner and get yourself together. LOL! Put your dag on tree up. If I can do it, you can do it. I broke mine down into a two day event...Saturday evening I put the tree together and Sunday I decorated it. In all seriousness, I hope your mood lifts soon.
__________________

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Reply With Quote
  #4  
December 2nd, 2011, 06:30 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere near Detroit, MI
Posts: 8,973
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Oh no, not offended. Im Christian too, but choose not to celebrate to the extreme. I am about the real reason for the season, but I have a hard time trying to ignore the commercialism of the holiday when the stores have everything Christmas up at Halloween and play Christmas music from October on. Right after Halloween, Santa Claus was brought by HELICOPTER to our local mall.

Even though the stores and media push Christmas from such and early date it is as a "holiday season" and Christ is left out of Christmas. I understand, and can respect, that not everyone believes in Christ, and that there are other holidays at the same time, but it seems to the point that you cant even say Merry Christmas because you may offend someone.

I don't teach my children about Santa Claus, my children all know thats fake (like the Easter bunny), but I don't tell others that they shouldnt believe and I remind my kids when they are in school to not tell other kids Santa isnt real.

We celebrate with family, my very immediate family. We do put up a tree every year, we have decorations, just not the day after Thanksgiving. My son is turning three on the 27th and we have always had his bday on Christmas too. He likes to tell everyone he shares a birthday with Jesus.

I guess my other post sounded harsh, it was late. I don't think the "Season" begins in late October. I don't want to be attacked by toy ads in early November.
I don't want to hear Justin Beiber and Mariah Carey singing holiday music....ever.

I am happy when my kids come home from school and want to buy toys for the Toys for Tots box at their school and when my little ones want all my change when we are leaving the store so they can put it in the red kettles.

So Merry Christmas!
__________________
Jenifer....The Queen Bee
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
December 2nd, 2011, 06:33 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Missouri
Posts: 42,367
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I'm half and half. I love Christmas, but I'm just not feeling energetic about it this year. There's so many things I WANT to do - Christmas crafts, gingerbread houses, baking cookies, all the fun family stuff I like to do with my kids and did growing up with my parents - but oy. I also just want to sit on my butt, ha!
__________________



Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
December 2nd, 2011, 07:01 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 5,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMomma View Post
Oh no, not offended. Im Christian too, but choose not to celebrate to the extreme. I am about the real reason for the season, but I have a hard time trying to ignore the commercialism of the holiday when the stores have everything Christmas up at Halloween and play Christmas music from October on. Right after Halloween, Santa Claus was brought by HELICOPTER to our local mall.

Even though the stores and media push Christmas from such and early date it is as a "holiday season" and Christ is left out of Christmas. I understand, and can respect, that not everyone believes in Christ, and that there are other holidays at the same time, but it seems to the point that you cant even say Merry Christmas because you may offend someone.

I don't teach my children about Santa Claus, my children all know thats fake (like the Easter bunny), but I don't tell others that they shouldnt believe and I remind my kids when they are in school to not tell other kids Santa isnt real.

We celebrate with family, my very immediate family. We do put up a tree every year, we have decorations, just not the day after Thanksgiving. My son is turning three on the 27th and we have always had his bday on Christmas too. He likes to tell everyone he shares a birthday with Jesus.

I guess my other post sounded harsh, it was late. I don't think the "Season" begins in late October. I don't want to be attacked by toy ads in early November.
I don't want to hear Justin Beiber and Mariah Carey singing holiday music....ever.

I am happy when my kids come home from school and want to buy toys for the Toys for Tots box at their school and when my little ones want all my change when we are leaving the store so they can put it in the red kettles.

So Merry Christmas!
I totally get this. I'm doing Santa with my daughter, because I think it's fun in a sense, you know? We were raised believing Santa was real until I got old enough to recognize my mom's handwriting and then I told my sister "Hey, doesn't Santa's writing look like Mommy's?" I was maybe 11 or so when that happened. BUT on the same token, like I said, being raised in the church and such, I KNEW and LOVED to celebrate Christmas as Jesus' birthday. My favorite Christmas carols are songs like Silent Night, Do You Hear What I Hear?, Little Drummer Boy, etc...I still remember singing those in the Christmas program in 4th grade. Favorite Christmas album is Yolanda Adams...which has disappeared, so I have to replace it. But yeah, it is overdone. My mom feels a lot like you. Not that she doesn't want to celebrate, but she hates how commercial it's become. I DID put up my tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

I'm still a "new" mommy in a sense and I relish in the changes I see in my daughter from year to year, and now with her getting older, it's bringing back that magic we had when we were kids. Does that make sense? Like I said, the holiday season (how I refer to the time from Thanksgiving thru New Years) was always so wonderful in my family, and I want my daughter to have those same memories.
__________________

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Reply With Quote
  #7  
December 2nd, 2011, 07:20 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Somewhere near Detroit, MI
Posts: 8,973
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma


I guess my tree doesnt go up early either because with all the children I have I could spend a great deal of my day on protect the tree duty! LOL I don't even put up my "good" ornaments anymore because over the years my kids have broken a lot of them.
__________________
Jenifer....The Queen Bee
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
December 2nd, 2011, 07:47 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 5,718
I keep hearing about "good" ornaments and such. My friend had a funny FB status about the drama behind assembling her tree this year with her 4 year old daughter and 1 year old son...

I didn't have a tree until my DD was 18 months old, and so I started out with shatter-proof. She did have a fascination with looking at herself in the silver ones, but other than that, she didn't really bother the tree. The only "Good" ornament I have is an angel cradling a baby Jesus, and that goes at the top of the tree under the star...but I've been told it will be different with my boy, so we'll revisit the tree thing next year when I have a mobile boy.
__________________

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Reply With Quote
  #9  
December 2nd, 2011, 08:37 AM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 6,257
I am in the crank pot group. My family's docs wife is pg with their 7th or 8th, too, due about the same time as me. I took #8 for his well check last week and asked if his wife was is a dark place, too. He said yes, very much so! So it is normal, we will get through it. I am looking for a low key Christmas this year and next year we will be back to normal. Give yourself lots of grace, don't over do it. Keep it simple.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
December 2nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
Momma to 2 and one angel
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmers-wife View Post
I am in the crank pot group. My family's docs wife is pg with their 7th or 8th, too, due about the same time as me. I took #8 for his well check last week and asked if his wife was is a dark place, too. He said yes, very much so! So it is normal, we will get through it. I am looking for a low key Christmas this year and next year we will be back to normal. Give yourself lots of grace, don't over do it. Keep it simple.
Yeah I am keeping to just my tree and nativity set lol I am glad my tree is a pre-lit also I just dont want to mess with lights. Gift wrapping is gonna be interesting tho this boy is high and bending over is very hard right now lol

haha Nia the last time someone sent me to the corner was like 6 months ago well tried to my 5 year old got mad at me for something and told me to go to the corner lol

I think once the tree is up I will feel better and maybe after the 19th when school is done for a few weeks then I will get really in the spirt lol
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #11  
December 2nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 5,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky1923 View Post
haha Nia the last time someone sent me to the corner was like 6 months ago well tried to my 5 year old got mad at me for something and told me to go to the corner lol

I think once the tree is up I will feel better and maybe after the 19th when school is done for a few weeks then I will get really in the spirt lol
LOL!!!! That's hilarious!

It is probably harder with a lot on your plate (like school...bleh). Lori and I were talking about gift wrapping last night and she said it was hard to do it on the floor, so I think I'm going to make sure I clean off my kitchen table and do mine there. I'm not even gonna fake the floor funk this year.
__________________

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Reply With Quote
  #12  
December 2nd, 2011, 09:38 AM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Hull
Posts: 19,770
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
Give me a couple of weeks and I will get into the sprit then. Right now I really cant get into it. I dont even have the umph to put our christmas decs up yet. Will maybe do it next weekend.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #13  
December 2nd, 2011, 06:32 PM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,488
Right there with ya! But I'm like this every year. Seems like xmas brings out the worst in everyone around me. I would like just one year when everyone around me remembers what Christmas is saposed to be about!! The birth of CHRIST!!!
__________________
Emmalyn Marie

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

Reply With Quote
  #14  
December 2nd, 2011, 10:54 PM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,471
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2noelle View Post
LOL!!!! That's hilarious!

It is probably harder with a lot on your plate (like school...bleh). Lori and I were talking about gift wrapping last night and she said it was hard to do it on the floor, so I think I'm going to make sure I clean off my kitchen table and do mine there. I'm not even gonna fake the floor funk this year.
I feel ya on wrapping at the table and not on the floor this year! I always get the worst back aches from wrapping presents on the floor. I enjoy wrapping presents but it is hard work! I wrapped some for my niece and nephew and I sat at the kitchen table and took breaks every few presents and it wasn't too bad.
__________________
Kelly

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
Reply With Quote
  #15  
December 2nd, 2011, 11:22 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,442
See I'm never into the Christmas spirit that much. The over commercialization really kills it for me! I also have some extremely bad memories attached to christmas as a child. So i really only enjoy putting up the tree and opening presents cause its a time when my family is together with no distractions and a reason to be in a good mood!

Urbanmomma...I also wanted my kids to not believe in santa Claus, the tooth fairy and whatnot. DF however is against the idea and thinks they'd be brats and tell kids at school.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #16  
December 3rd, 2011, 07:07 AM
Momma to 2 and one angel
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 692
I think I am just gonna wrap for my kids then gift bag it for everyone else lol or make DH do it lol I like the table idea im short and I can just stand at mine without bending over to much lol
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #17  
December 3rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DC Metro
Posts: 5,718
I hate gift bags!!!! LOL!

But growing up and even now, I was the designated wrapper and I love it! My mom's not allowed to wrap for anyone but me, since I can't see my stuff. LOL! I made that rule for her. Even though the paper's just gonna get torn and thrown away, it's just so nice and part of the thoughtfulness of the gift to me.
__________________

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

Reply With Quote
  #18  
December 3rd, 2011, 04:29 PM
Momma to 2 and one angel
Join Date: May 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 692
HAHA Nia , Im have never been a fan of gift bags till Dh's family I always thought they cost to much even if they were at a buck a pop in some stores but his family has a tradtion of saving all the gift bags and reuseing them the next year and some need to be replaced each year but not many lol

There is one that my MIL and I give back and worth to each other that is so pitifull its become an inside joke to us. this year it's my turn to give it back to her and its ripped at the side so I am gonna Duct tape the side lol

They are the only ones I use gift bags for its kinda a tradition ya know lol well my sons bike we got him is going in one of those big bike bags but other than that all my kids gifts are wrapped cause I love watching them unwrap their gifts. Plus that way I only use certain paper from "Santa" and for my sanity that morning and pictures I use different papers for both my boys lol
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #19  
December 3rd, 2011, 04:35 PM
Thea Maria G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Danbury CT
Posts: 1,424
yea call me scrooge this yr
__________________




31yr old Working Mama, MBA Graduate, Married Proud Mama of April Gabrielle E.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:05 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0