WIC?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 1st, 2011, 06:21 PM
yugot2h8's Avatar Veteran
Do any of you use WIC? How long did it take to process your application?

I have an appointment on Monday to apply. My mom used it with me and she told me it would be a good idea for us to get it since I am planning on staying home with the baby.

thanks to claire1979 for my gorgeous siggy

December 1st, 2011, 06:46 PM
D&K's_mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had gotten wic with ds, actually you will also be able to get it on yourself as well since you are pregnant! It a great help! When I went for my first appt they let you know right then and there if you qualify or not, and if you do they give you vouchers to spend at the grocery, but now Im pretty sure they switched it all over to a card, like a debit card. Anyways good luck with and if you are planning on staying home it is a big help, It helped me to be able to afford to stay home with ds at first.

December 1st, 2011, 07:02 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope...not all states have WIC on debit cards as of now. That's just the food stamp program. I saw a woman not too long ago in Walmart with WIC vouchers.

I don't qualify for the program, but I work for USDA, the department in the government that administers the program.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 1st, 2011, 07:16 PM
Do you know if they will combine my boyfriends' and my income since we live together but are not married? I would say with our combined income we will not qualify, but since I am going to stay at home, we would qualify based on his only.

Will they even consider than I am planning to stay at home?

I am a little worried about this because the people at our health department seem kind of rude.

December 2nd, 2011, 03:48 AM
Super Mommy
I use WIC Overseas because DH is military. The qualifiers were a bit different for this one than regular WIC, but I think it works the same. I think she said the income cut-off for ours is $3500 a month.

My appointment for it was super easy. I went in, they took my height and weight. I had the previous months statement saying how much money DH makes (I don't currently work.) They punched the numbers into the computer and that was that. They had me keep a food journal the day before my appointment so that they could see if I was eating well enough. She went over nutrition with me, gave me a huge spiel about breastfeeding, they printed out my vouchers and explained how to use them and then set up my next appointment. (They make you go in every 3 months here.)

It was pretty simple and painless.

December 2nd, 2011, 04:20 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have WIC. Things have gotten so bad for us financially, that we really needed it to help us out. I wish my stuff was on a debit card. But nope, I have the vouchers and they always have a hard time getting them to go through. It's so fun to stand in line with a bunch of irritated people behind you and a cashier that has absolutely no idea what they're doing. I have no idea why they don't train people how to do it but I have been to multiple stores and always have a problem. That is my little rant about it.
I am a SAHM and we still qualify. The appointment was pretty easy. They did my height and weight, checked my iron, lectured me on nutrition, etc. They were having me come in every month which is annoying because it's a 30 minute drive from our house. But when they scheduled my appointment for next time, they scheduled it 2 months out, which is much better. Also, the nice thing is, you can set your dh up as a proxy. Meaning he can go shopping and go to appointments instead of you. I'm hoping I can send my dh next time. I have a feeling I'm not going to feel much like walking in 2 months.

December 2nd, 2011, 04:55 AM
Momma to 2 and one angel
We are on WIC right now well I am on Wic right now then baby will be once he is born. They will tell you at your appointment if you qualify. We are a one income family right now since I am in school and me and my husband both beleive that one of us should watch our kids while the other works. No daycare, babysitter ect ect. Daycare would cost more than what I got paided sooo whats the point ya know.

WIC is a great program it helps you get the heathy foods ya need for you and for baby and they do promote breastfeeding even more now and even have lactation consultants at the office.

December 2nd, 2011, 05:07 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
WIC is a good program and hopefully run better in your community than in mine.

I used to get WIC a few years ago and it would take MONTHS (seriously) for anyone to ever answer the phones to even get an appointment, which where made by phone only, no walk-ins. I could call morning, noon and night and never get a person and I wasnt the only one who had that problem.
They also had a message service where the machine said someone would call you back if you left a message but no one ever did.

If you were lucky and managed to get an appointment it would be a very long wait in the office to be seen, they were very slow, and a good majority of the women who worked there were very unpleasant.
I'd had enough when a very overweight dietician told me my then 3 year old son was obese and lectured me on feeding him. He was perhaps 8 or 10 pounds overweight, chunky maybe, obese, no.

However I think it was just a very poorly run office and overall the program is a good one and can be a great help. I'm sure I qualify even today but I was just turned off by the whole experience and choose to not use it at all.
#12 is on the way
December 2nd, 2011, 05:38 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I don't have personal experience (we are fortunate enough to not qualify for pretty much any financial aid programs), but I've heard that it's really regional as to how quickly and smoothly you can get into the program. I would reach out to them now; if you can get some benefits while pregnant, awesome, and if not, at least you will know what you need to do when to get on it once the baby arrives.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 2nd, 2011, 05:53 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Danielle, I'm glad you're getting some advice from ladies with experience here.

Check out this pre-screening tool and see if it's helpful.
https://stars.fns.usda.gov/wps/pages/start.jsf

If I'm not mistaken, they are going to take into consideration any funds that come into your HOUSEHOLD, which would include your boyfriend's salary. Also, the fact that you're currently working may make it more difficult for you to qualify right now, but I'm not sure.

Good luck though. Like Kel, I am fortunate enough to not qualify for any of the programs, but you have no idea how me and my coworkers wish the requirements were a little different.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 2nd, 2011, 06:02 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We have wic for me and just recently requalified colin for his sincee we have medicaid as secondary insurance. It's a big help! Danielle, im pretty sure its everyone's income in the household.

December 2nd, 2011, 06:09 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have recieved WIC in 2 different areas. One was absolute hell and my hometown is wonderful.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

December 2nd, 2011, 09:56 AM
mamaperry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh I wish we could get it!! I'm a sahm but hubby's income is to high :0/ my kids have milk allgergies so I have to buy Alemintum, which is around $200 a month!

December 2nd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
I'm on wic, it's great out here, but we still use the vouchers as well. My daughter is also on wic (kids up to age 5 can get wic) we love it cu we go through a lot of milk...I added up all our wic checks one month and it saved us a little over $200 with mine and DDs vouchers. Hope u will qualify while pregnant, but if not make sure I try again once u are staying home!!
December 2nd, 2011, 10:42 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Still vouchers here.

And they will go by the households income, so everyone who lives in the house will be considered. Baby might actually count as a person right now (so your household would be 3 not 2) but I'm not 100%, I know some programs here do and some don't. They will not take into account you won't be working once baby is born, because you want on the program now and work now. After baby is born though you can likely get WIC for it since you will no longer be working.

December 5th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Thank you ladies for responding

I went to my appointment today and I actually qualified... I think because it turns out I have low iron I am glad I found out, this could explain the nosebleeds and dizziness. I have to go to my doctor tomorrow to find out if I should get iron supplements and I think they might end up doing another test.

And about the cards, for now I have a card, but I think they are giving me vouchers at my next appointment in February

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search