Kick Counts!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2011, 05:47 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Will you do them? When will you start?

I think the usual time for starting kick counts is between 25 and 28 weeks, and since I've been feeling baby for quite a while, I figure I will start now just to get into the habit. I used to think it was kind of pointless, but after last time - seeing how dramatic a drop in activity Danny had that I brushed off as "normal" and how bad off he actually was - I don't think taking 10-15 minutes out of my evening is such a bad idea!

I downloaded a kick count app for 99 cents... We'll see how it goes

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 2nd, 2011, 06:00 AM
TTC #2
Send a message via Skype™ to Mandy1108
I thought my Dr might discuss this with me....but so far she hasnt. So whats the average count per day? & how long do you count for?
December 2nd, 2011, 06:23 AM
I've oddly not had a doctor bring up kick counts with me. There's a good article on americanpregnancy.com about them in detail... Basically, you just pick a time every day (I think they usually recommend it be not long after you typically eat, and you want the same time every day; I am probably going to do like 7pm or something) and time how long it takes you to feel 10 movements. The recommendation is that if you don't feel at least 10 movements in 1-2 hours, you drink some juice, lay down on your left side, and do it again. You track it every day, and that way if you see a big change (like you usually feel 10 movements in 20 minutes, and one day it takes an hour), you should consider calling your doctor.

December 2nd, 2011, 06:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So what if he does two kicks at once, where it's like kick-kick. Is that one movement or two? Or is it like you wait for him to be still after some movement before counting the next one? This is where I get confused.

December 2nd, 2011, 06:43 AM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
My doctor hasn't mentioned this to me yet. I have an anterior placenta (it's quite high, though) so I'm not feeling movement above my belly button, which leads me to believe that a kick count would worry me unnecessarily.

~*Kimi*~
Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
December 2nd, 2011, 06:50 AM
Oh! Here's an awesome FAQ on it, first off:
Count the Kicks, Frequently Asked Questions, Importance of Counting the Kicks, Expectant Parents

As for the double kicks, I have never seen anything specific. My plan is to go for at least a couple seconds between movements to count them as separate... So like you said, if it's a quick kick-kick-kick, I'd probably count that as just one movement, since if YOU were doing it you'd go it in one fluid motion even though it's two legs (or an arm and a leg, or whatever baby is using, heh). But if it was a kick - pause - kick, I'd count that as two, as though I had kicked, put my foot down, and kicked again.

And Kimi, I agree, in your case I wouldn't do it yet. 25-28 weeks is a general starting time, but you have to know your own body and situation too. My first pregnancy, I had an anterior placenta and he was my first, so I didn't even START feeling movement until 22 weeks... I wouldn't have started doing kick counts until closer to 28-30 weeks, when I was feeling movement all over and more consistently.

December 2nd, 2011, 06:55 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hadn't thought about it really.

I just read something about how babies are sort of on a schedule at this point, so how would that work. Like my kid has periods of waking and sleeping, and so it may be more than 2 hours where I don't have movement, you know? I'll ask the midwife about it at my appointment on Monday though.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 2nd, 2011, 07:39 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With having a stillbirth and all, you would think Drs would tell me to do it, but they have never mentioned it.

I have not done kick counts with any pregnancy and I don't plan to start. Kick counts wouldn't have prevented my stillbirth, so as long as baby moves around about the same time every day, I am good.

My DD hardly ever moved. I would literally have to poke her for 10 minutes to get her to move. Each kid is different.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

December 2nd, 2011, 08:16 AM
See, LeAnn, I'm coming from the totally opposite position. We got lucky with Danny; if I hadn't been getting ultrasounds to monitor my fluid, his lack of movement would've been the only sign, and we likely would've lost him. My best friend had a stillbirth a week before he was born as well, a cord issue, and looking back she definitely sees the lack of movement and thinks kick counts may have prompted them to look closer and potentially saved his life.

You are definitely right, though, that every kid is different!

As for timing, I think that's why they say to choose a time that your baby is usually active, Nia - and just one day shouldn't be a big cause for concern, you just drink something sugary/caffeinated and try to wake them up, then do it again in a little bit.

December 2nd, 2011, 08:25 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He's been relatively still today...not even sure if he was up at breakfast...almost lunch time now though, so I'm sure he'll get to it then. LOL!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 2nd, 2011, 08:35 AM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
Im not gonna...I stressed far too much with my pregnancy with Mia I want to enjoy it this time.
I figure as long as I feel her move at least a few times a day all will be well. I will start to panic if I dont feel her all day - normally when I think that she gives me a swift kick to remind me shes ok.

December 2nd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Dizzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor doesn't recommend starting kick counts until 28 weeks for new moms and, like you said, 25-28 for veteran moms. Basically until you've been feeling your itty bitty for a few weeks and can see a time pattern developing.

I'm definitely doing my kick counting with this little girl, we've had so much going on with her already I start freakin out if she's not "on time" lol I know she can have her lazy days, too, but she better at least give me a quick "hi mom *pow* take that!" before going back to sleep for a bit

I also downloaded an app to try out lol And my doctor provided me with a counting chart

December 2nd, 2011, 10:53 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post
See, LeAnn, I'm coming from the totally opposite position. We got lucky with Danny; if I hadn't been getting ultrasounds to monitor my fluid, his lack of movement would've been the only sign, and we likely would've lost him. My best friend had a stillbirth a week before he was born as well, a cord issue, and looking back she definitely sees the lack of movement and thinks kick counts may have prompted them to look closer and potentially saved his life.

You are definitely right, though, that every kid is different!

As for timing, I think that's why they say to choose a time that your baby is usually active, Nia - and just one day shouldn't be a big cause for concern, you just drink something sugary/caffeinated and try to wake them up, then do it again in a little bit.

No, there is not doubt that it might be a life saver, I just will not stress about it. I have so many risks that could cause a stillbirth at any time in my pregnancy with no warning, so for me, it is not worth the stress for me. My placenta ripped from my uterus, with no warning.
For me, a second trimester antibody screening (they do one at the first visit) might have saved him and countless other babies, so for me, I recommend people do those again.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

December 2nd, 2011, 01:05 PM
pixiedust012404's Avatar Lovin my baby girl
My doc says start at 30 weeks. She also said to pick the same time every day, preferably after a meal (though my LO is more active right before a meal than after) and if I get less than 6 movements in an hour to call. I'll probably start aaround 28 and get her pattern down, then at 30 weeks go off of what her pattern is so i don't overly worry if she's not as active as they say she should be.

thank you jaidynsmum for my siggie!

December 2nd, 2011, 03:57 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My doctor never recommended this last time. Zoe was pretty calm in there when I was pregnant with her. (I remember hoping that meant she would be a calm kid. No such luck) This guy seems much more active to me. I may do it, I might not. I feel him pretty frequently throughout the day, so I'm not too worried.

December 2nd, 2011, 09:54 PM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Whitney you answered my question I was gonna ask if having a calm baby in utero ment and easier time once thier here. HA
As for kick counts, I've never done them but I'm gonna try and remember to do them this time.

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

December 2nd, 2011, 10:29 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So i hope that means an active baby in utero will produce a calmer kid

If my doctor wants me to do it i will. If not, then no. I figure she's pretty crazy active and I'd notice a change, especially now that i can tell she is developing a pattern. If i had a calmer baby I would do them for sure though.

December 3rd, 2011, 05:02 AM
Bailey... Nope. Eric was active in utero and is still active at 5.5 years old

December 3rd, 2011, 05:34 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never had a doctor recommend them, but I've done them with all my pregnancies that have made it this far. I'm very paranoid that something will go wrong when I'm pregnant, so I'm very hypersensitive to the number of times they kick to start with. It's a little harder this time, because I have an anterior placenta that is mostly on my left where Baby B is. I'm feeling him a lot more now that he's bigger, but I still feel Baby A more. I'm assuming they'll also slow their movements faster than singletons, because they're already really cramped in there. I'm so glad I have a doppler this time around, because when I get worried and can't get one of them to move, I use that to check on them.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

December 3rd, 2011, 07:32 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
I don't do them cuz my babies have always been super active. Te moment I start wondering why baby hasn't moved I get a good kick/punch

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search