Honest opinion

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2011, 10:08 PM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just got word from dh that my best friend called him recently about having a shower for me. The only reason he told me is because he knows that I didn't want one. This is my second boy and I have mostly everything. She was supposed to throw me one the first time around but she was getting married and didn't have the time or money. Dh and my mom ended up taking over. She told dh the other day that she feels bad for not throwing me one the first time and she wants to make up for it. What do I do? Do I let her have it for me and act surprised? I would hate for dh's family and our other friends to think I'm being greedy for having another shower. Ugh!

December 2nd, 2011, 10:25 PM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awww, I think you should let her throw it for you. Perhaps DH could give her some ideas to keep it small if you have fears of people feeling that way. I've also heard of people bringing a package of diapers or wipes as their gift. It's small enough that it's not burdensome to people and assuming you're not doing cloth then everyone needs diapers!

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
December 2nd, 2011, 11:33 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think maybe have DH pass on that she should keep it small, since you guys don't really need a lot of stuff. I don't see it as being greedy if someone else wants to do one...though not sure if they sill understand it was in no way your idea.

December 3rd, 2011, 03:21 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with having DH suggest a diaper shower instead, since you all don't need anything else really. Someone told me on FB that if people don't agree with you having a second shower or whatever then they probably just won't come. Everyone judges...you shouldn't let that be your concern.

I think every baby should be celebrated, as do most of the folks in my circle, but I know not everyone agrees that a shower, per se, is the way to do that.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 3rd, 2011, 06:06 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Personally, I say you should let her do it as well. It would be one thing if YOU were the one hosting the shower - then maybe people would have room to say something about being greedy (not that I fully agree with that) - but if someone else WANTS to do it, why say no? Your DH could pass on that you guys have the big stuff, but at my second shower (work threw me a small one without my knowing it was coming), it was all diapers, wipes, onesies, and a few little toys... Small stuff to celebrate the new baby and have some fun.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 3rd, 2011, 06:12 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
How about a shower with a children's book theme? And ask each guest to bring their favorite baby/toddler/preschool/children's book? Books aren't super expensive, but at $10-20 a pop it can be tough for families to build a large library for their kids. This way you'd have a lot of new books that both boys could benefit from. And people who really want to shell out more money for a traditional baby gift can still do that.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
December 3rd, 2011, 06:21 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietsong View Post
Personally, I say you should let her do it as well. It would be one thing if YOU were the one hosting the shower - then maybe people would have room to say something about being greedy (not that I fully agree with that) - but if someone else WANTS to do it, why say no? Your DH could pass on that you guys have the big stuff.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

December 3rd, 2011, 06:54 AM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I love the diaper shower idea and the books idea. I'll talk to him about it today!

December 3rd, 2011, 07:00 AM
Momma to 2 and one angel
I like the just having your Dh suggest to your freind about a diaper party. People who want to can still get other stuff but diapers are always helpfull.

People who think you are being greedy which you are not just wont come so dont worry to much about what people will think. What people think is their problem not yours.

Main thing is you have fun and and enjoy the party !!!!

December 3rd, 2011, 08:19 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
I agree with all of the above lol just wanted to say that. My mom is throwing me a baby shower and this is my last haha but I'm gonna let her do it and be happy for it
December 3rd, 2011, 10:37 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
I agree with let her but keep it lower key

December 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah you can never have enough diapers and wipes and cute little books, wish someone would throw me a little shower just for essentials

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w.../ryderlee1.gif
December 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There is NOTHING GREEDY about celebrating a NEW baby - it would be different if you were having multiple showers for the same baby...but this is a new baby, a new life.

I think every baby should be celebrated. Have the shower=)

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
December 6th, 2011, 10:48 PM
pixiedust012404's Avatar Lovin my baby girl
Also, if you really don't want ANYTHING you could tell DH to ask to put Please No Gifts on the invitation. People who really want to get you something will probably still do it anyways

thank you jaidynsmum for my siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search