Iron supplements?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2011, 03:37 AM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
So my last bloodwork showed low iron, and my doc told told me to get a supplement. Two days later I still haven't because even the small amount in my prenatal vitamin constipates me. I have to go off it once a week to get things moving again (I have IBS and constipation just makes all my other symptoms worse).

Anyone else have experience with low iron and supplementation? I'm thinking of ignoring her suggestion until my appointment on the 15th when I can ask more questions about cost/benefit of iron supplements. I know it sounds trite but pooping is really important to me.

~*Kimi*~
Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
December 3rd, 2011, 05:01 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Pooping is really important to me, too! I would either wait until the 15th or perhaps call in to the nurse to ask your questions and see if there is anything they can do to counter the constipation.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 3rd, 2011, 07:37 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
U might try a stool softener as well that might help. But honestly even with low iron there is very little risk to baby, baby will steal every bit of iron u have and thrive on it, which leaves ur iron low. so u taking supplements are for your own benefit, not baby's.....If that makes sense. But restoring ur iron levels will make u feel like u have more energy so if ur feeling sluggish it can be a real help. Hope u get it figured it out!!
December 3rd, 2011, 11:41 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was going to suggest a stool softener as well. Maybe some extra fiber. Also, there are risks associated with low iron. I am on an iron supplement but I don't take it every day.

Quote:
How does iron-deficiency anemia affect my baby's health and mine?

Your baby does a good job taking care of his iron needs – he'll get his share before you do. Still, maternal anemia can affect a baby's iron stores at birth, increasing his risk for anemia later in infancy.

Iron-deficiency anemia during pregnancy is linked to an increased risk of preterm delivery and low birth weight. It's also associated with a higher risk of stillbirth or newborn death, so it's something to take seriously.

Iron-deficiency anemia affects your health as well. It can sap your energy and make it harder for your body to fight infection. And if you're anemic later in pregnancy, you're more likely to have problems if you lose a lot of blood when you give birth. You may feel dizzy, have a rapid heart rate, or have other symptoms that require you to stay in the hospital an extra day or two. You're also more likely to need a blood transfusion. And there's research suggesting that anemia may even raise your risk of postpartum depression.
(From Babycenter)

December 3rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
you should add a probiotic! helps me a ton!

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

December 3rd, 2011, 01:39 PM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Because of my WLS (I have malabsortion), I have to take both Iron and Calcium supplements daily. I take colace (2 in the am and 2 in the pm) to keep things moving.

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
December 3rd, 2011, 06:46 PM
txranchmom's Avatar Country Momma to the Core
lol I have IBS too, although mine is the opposite. I actually enjoyed the whole 'normal thing' of pg cause it slowed my whole bowel system down. Try a bit of Milk of Magnesia when you get too stopped up. I wouldn't skip on the iron, as it's an important deal to take and have plenty of in your system during pg.
December 3rd, 2011, 06:56 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
I would like to say f!(% iron supplements, right in the ear. I also turned up anemic and took my very first iron pill yesterday. Cue constipation and taking three tries to, umm, produce. Along with the very lovely "gotta go right now" feeling the whole time. On my way to get something softener-related...

December 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Even though constipation is awful, and I really feel ya on wanting to avoid it I would take the iron and live with it. and as others suggest you can take a stool softener [though I don't think most drs like you to take that all the time], milk of magnesia, etc...I take Metamucil every day. It's not perfect, but it's better than nothing!
Also just making an effort to eat more fiber and stay very hydrated will help.

But Iron Deficiency Anemia sucks. I had it pretty bad for a long time, before I was pregnant. I was tired and drained all the time and got dizzy easily [and pregnancy will only magnify these symptoms] Losing a lot of blood [say when I got my period] made me feel incredibly sick to where I couldn't do anything more than lay in bed all week, and sleeping was **** near impossible because I hurt EVERYWHERE during this time no matter what I did [while you likely won't lose a lot of blood while pregnant, you probably will during birth!]

I'm sure there are more risks to you and baby since you are pregnant.

In short:
I will take being constipated and uncomfortable that way any day than deal with anemia and pregnancy at the same time.

December 5th, 2011, 06:03 AM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
Hmmm well thanks for the feedback! Of course it always sucks when you get the advice you didn't want to hear (lol!) but it's also good to hear some personal experiences and it kind of made me realize that anemia probably isn't something I want to mess with. I'm just going to suck it up and buy the supplement along with some really good fibre or stool softener....let the misery begin!

~*Kimi*~
Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
December 5th, 2011, 04:34 PM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was actually prescribed a stool softener from my OB when I told her that the extra iron she prescribed is going to cause constipation (though OTC does the trick just fine for me).....but something else you can take is FiberCon (tablet form of metimucill basically)....it will keep things moving AND soft.

Believe me, when I tell you....constipation (pregnancy adds to it) can very quickly lead to hemmroids which is even worse IMO then constipation!!!

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
December 5th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Super Mommy
Have you tried mirilax yet? I just take it a couple times a week to help with the flow. I have crohn's but not bad like some people. Did she say anything about changing your diet instead of taking a pill? Isn't it leafy grean veggies and red meats for iron?
December 6th, 2011, 04:50 PM
Regular
I have IBS on the constipation side. I take Miralax every other day just to poop. Dr said this was fine or else I'd be super miserable as I was before taking the miralax. You definitely don't want to get to the point of manual extraction, if you know what I mean. I went through this and it was the most traumatizing thing I've ever been through.

I also found out that I'm slightly anemic but the dr said I didn't have to take a supplement because of it adding more constipation and only to take it if I'm feeling really wiped out. And right now I'm tired but I can still function just fine.

Iron rich foods will be meat, poultry, green leafy veggies (like spinach), nuts...there's other things too. Also, eat foods high in Vitamin C with your meals, it will help you to better absorb the iron. And, avoid tea and I believe coffee with meals because they can interfere with iron absorption.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search