Car Seats???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 6th, 2011, 03:53 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know we've talked about lots of baby gear, but I'm just wondering what kind of carseats will you ladies be getting or did you register for?

I was orinally going to get this one:
Combi Coccoro Convertible Car Seat - Chestnut : Target

But I'm such a cheapskate and I feel myself chickening out as the time approaches to actually buy it. I'm also reconsidering not buying an infant seat, because I've been thinking about how much we visit family and how that would be somewhere for the baby to sit/sleep when not in arms...so IDK. I'm definitely not getting a travel system though. It's a waste to me.

So, let's say I stick with the original seat, because now that I've looked at it again, i want it. LOL! Now I have to get baby gear to keep at everyone's houses? Or do I simply just do the old blanket thing that we did back in the day? LOL!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 6th, 2011, 03:58 AM
KimberlyAnn327's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have matching Graco Snugrides. Given to me by a friend with 22 month old twin boys. I love having the carriers. Though I'm not sure how much I'm going to feel like traveling with 2 newborns.

December 6th, 2011, 04:11 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have my Chicco Key Fit 30 from DD. we will use that for the first year. Zoe is in a Britax Marathon right now. I'm trying to decide if I should just leave her in it, when the time comes, and get him his own seat, or move her to the Graco Nautilus, which converts to a high back booster and then a backless booster, and give him the Britax.

Nia, do you have a Goodwill store near you? They get brand new, in the box car seats every once in awhile, and they sell them for $25. My friend got one of the Graco baby seats that way. I believe they are donated by stores when they have overstock. It is worth a shot.

December 6th, 2011, 04:20 AM
I don't have a Goodwill near me.

It's not that I can't afford the seat...but I just get bad buyer's remorse on anything over $50. I'm just strange like that. I know the kid NEEDS the seat. LOL! Plus, Noelle needs a high back booster, but I'm probably just getting her Cosco.

Only reason I was getting a convertible was to avoid having to buy 3 or 4 seats, like I did with Noelle, but Noelle's second seat was a $40 Cosco Scenera, which she's still in. I guess I could do the same thing to have an infant seat, because I know D is probably going to complain about not having an infant seat.

December 6th, 2011, 06:00 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
My current seats are a Graco Snugride for the baby (got it on clearance for $60!), a Babies R Us Easy Fit convertible for Danny ($99, high height/weight limits), and a TurboBooster for Eric (he loves it, very comfortable, easy to nap in if he falls asleep, got it for like $50 on Amazon - and spent a few months doing Swagbucks surveys for Amazon gift cards, so I actually got it for free). I haven't actually USED the Snugride yet, so I can't speak for how good or not it is, but the other two seats are serving us well right now.

As for visiting, I'd just take a blanket. Our main reason for getting an infant seat was because it was cheaper in the long run - but then, by the time baby needs a convertible, Danny will be big enough for a booster, so we'll be able to rotate seats.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 6th, 2011, 08:19 AM
Thea Maria G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hey Nia
We put a travel system on our registry, why do you think its a waste?

31yr old Working Mama, MBA Graduate, Married Proud Mama of April Gabrielle E.
December 6th, 2011, 08:32 AM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got a Peg Perego infant carseat with 2 bases. Someone in my neighborhood was selling it used for $50. I wouldn't normally buy a used carseat but it was never in any accidents and was in great shape so I just went for it.

We didn't get a travel system but we did get the carseat adaptor for our City Mini stroller so we can click it right onto that. The stroller folds up super easily, is lightweight, and doesn't take up much room in the back of the car so it's a nice setup for us.

I guess you could bring one of those small bouncer seats to people's houses? They are pretty cheap and look fairly portable.

ETA: I forgot that we also bought the stroller that the Peg carseat fits into from the same woman for $50. Our in-laws are going to take it and use it when we bring the baby there so we don't have to travel with the stroller as well. It was originally a $400 stroller.

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long

Last edited by kdrew88; December 6th, 2011 at 09:18 AM.
December 6th, 2011, 08:44 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
We got a travel system from a friend. It was originally almost $300 new so when she was asking $75 we couldn't say no.
This is what we got.
December 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have this Graco Glider Travel System - Little Hoot : Target a graco travel system. I've always use an infant seat - it's just easier if we go out to dinner (which we do often), or if baby is sleeping when I get home from running errands etc.

I wear baby in a Mobi when I go shopping or out and about....but I still need/want the stroller

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
December 6th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemykiddos! View Post
We got a travel system from a friend. It was originally almost $300 new so when she was asking $75 we couldn't say no.
This is what we got.
We've got the same style, just different colored infant carrier and stroller combo. I love an infant carrier....it's so easy to get baby in and out of the car and I'll just leave them there if we get out of the car and they're asleep!

December 6th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Thea, for me this time around, a travel system is a waste because Noelle is still stroller sized. I have a jogger that is good for up to 50 lbs which is going to last her until baby is big enough to fit in a double jogger. I plan on predominantly wearing the baby, so even if I got an infant seat, I'd just be buying the seat without the stroller.

However, I had a travel system with Noelle and I loved it, honestly. It's great for just one kid, but I just don't see myself being able to really use it with two kids.

December 6th, 2011, 10:11 AM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, with two kids you'd need a stroller that could hold a toddler and an infant and then convert to holding 2 toddlers. Those are either really hard to find, or super expensive!

I'm currently looking for one so that the woman who is going to watch baby girl can use it to take out baby and her toddler to the park, store, etc. I've seen a couple of good deals on craigslist, so I'm just keeping my eyes peeled. I think it's mostly good for SAHM's or people who take the baby out by themselves pretty often.

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
December 6th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sister and I are trading strollers when Caleb gets here. She has a double stroller, but her oldest is too big to use a stroller now and I'm going to need a double so she's going to take mine and give me hers since she'll only have one that still needs one Worked out great!

December 6th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Super Mommy
I used the same graco snugride system for both my boys- I can't use it any longer because it expired. So we have a new snugride to use, it fits my stroller but the patterns don't match.

I like having the carrier for when the baby is sleeping or when I go shopping. I don't baby wear so it is important that they are in a safe place during outings.
December 6th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I use a bucket seat until I can't carry them anymore. My friend is giving me hers that her son just grew out of. When he is bigger, I will buy him a convertible carseat, not sure which one yet.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

December 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents are in charge of the stroller and infant seat purchase haha, so I dunno what I'll be getting. I definitely want the travel system though, with only one kid I think it'll make life so much easier!

December 6th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Dee136's Avatar Super Mommy
I had a Graco snugride with my daughter, but I really hate most travel systems b/c they're so stinking big. This time I'm using a Peg Perego set that has a considerably smaller stroller than many other travel systems.

December 6th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Thea Maria G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2noelle View Post
Thea, for me this time around, a travel system is a waste because Noelle is still stroller sized. I have a jogger that is good for up to 50 lbs which is going to last her until baby is big enough to fit in a double jogger. I plan on predominantly wearing the baby, so even if I got an infant seat, I'd just be buying the seat without the stroller.

However, I had a travel system with Noelle and I loved it, honestly. It's great for just one kid, but I just don't see myself being able to really use it with two kids.
oh ok! i thought something was wrong that i should know about

31yr old Working Mama, MBA Graduate, Married Proud Mama of April Gabrielle E.
December 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM
LOL Thea! Nope. Not at all.

December 6th, 2011, 01:03 PM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
I had a graco travel system with graco infant carseat and seatbelt base with Mia, I loved it but it was too big and bulky for public transport. Plus the travel system was so big it would take up most of the boot space leaving hardly any room when we went shopping.

Anyway...This time around we're getting this car seat..

You can buy attachments so the carseat will clip to the chassis of this..
so it will be heck of a lot smaller then my graco was/is.

Last edited by ETanny; December 6th, 2011 at 02:26 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search