The food rules...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2011, 08:20 AM
Super Mommy
For the btdt moms (this is premature but has been on my mind): Did you follow all the food rules as in start veggies before fruits, don't give peanut butter before a year and no shell fish until 3 years old?

I followed all the rules with my first born but relaxed a bit with ds#2. Just a couple months ago my nephew had an allergic reaction to peanut butter so I might be more strict this time.

Also- does anyone have a child with a food allergy/reaction? Will that make you less likely to give that food to your new baby?
December 8th, 2011, 08:26 AM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Interesting questions!

At my shower there was a game that talked about what people did with their kids and one of the questions was 'What was your baby's first food?'. The answers ranged from Avocado to rice cereal to banana, and a few others. I was surprised there were so many different answers.

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
December 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I honestly don't think I knew much about the food rules.

DD had strawberries at 10 months, which I later found out could be a highly allergic food.

I think I did fruit first, because I mixed it in her cereal, but we also didn't start solids til 6 months, due to her slight reflux problems.

I tried eggs when they were allowed and til this day, she refuses to eat them. LOL! Same with peanut butter. I probably was cautious due to her dad's food allergies and eczema. She has slight eczema, but it only flares in the summer.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
We follow most of them. No pb, strawberries, honey those sort I things till 1 or so. As fr as shellfish goes as long as baby is atleast 1.5 we let them taste it. My DD loves shrimp and scallops!!
December 8th, 2011, 11:14 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Nope. I dont follow rules and have never had any issues with allergies or any other problems.
#12 is on the way
December 8th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Jessica/Kelly,

I think also an important point will be to consider risk factors/family history...i.e. Noelle's eczema.

Also, if you want to consider deviating from the "norm", just consult your ped about it.

December 8th, 2011, 11:36 AM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've honestly never heard of these food rules, and just barely learned what to avoid giving them for at least a year due to allergies.

Why start veggies before fruits?

December 8th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Momma to 2 and one angel
I am probley the only one that dosnt do solids till they can do finger foods around 9 months but I stay away from peanut butter, honey, strawberries and tomatoes.

Tomatoes are probley safe but I am highly allergic to raw totamatoes and the plant sooooo....

Peanut butter and honey because my husband ia allergic to bees peanut butter because my first son had a slight reaction.

Starwberries cause my brother is really allergic to them.

I dont do starting at 6 months because all the baby needs is BM or formula both have everything they need in it so I rather them get that.

Both my boys love fruit and veggies and both think that a big treat is carrots and broc they can dip in ranch dressing. So I am not afraid of them not likeing them because they didnt get them early. My kids will also take a banana over a cookie any day.

December 8th, 2011, 12:13 PM
^^^
I'm actually gonna try being baby led on starting on solids, since they don't really need solids for awhile. But if they wanna attempt to eat it all the more power to em

I don't understand why people think a kid won't like something just because they didn't get it really early? Maybe some kids yeah but there are things to this day I'll try [or accidentally eat more likely] and discover I like it! [just recently discovered I like mushrooms haha]

December 8th, 2011, 12:16 PM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We usually start with rice cereal or oatmeal first.....no specific reason, just because. I think both boys first solid food was oatmeal, mixed with applesauce and cinnamon.

The no honey before 1 comes because honey has a bacteria that infants bodies can't digest (I think the digest part is right) and could make them sick.

December 8th, 2011, 12:24 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I don't really follow that many rules either. I wait until 6 months (at least) to do solid food, and I plan this time to do a combination of purees and just mushed up solids, really more baby led this time. I did go ahead and pick a vegetable first, but I don't really put any stock into it making babies more willing to eat veggies in general - both of my kids had a big taste for fruit the second they got their lips on it, LOL.

As for allergies, I don't sweat 'em. We have no family history though... If we did, that would be different!

Now, too, the rules have even changed. With Eric, it was supposedly a big allergy no-no to introduce peanut butter and eggs and a few others before a year - now they are changing their thinking, and say that unless you DO have a reason to worry about allergies, you don't really gain anything by holding off. In 2008, the AAP came out and said that after all that delaying, there wasn't really any evidence they could study that suggested it was helping any:
AAP issues new advice on food allergies - ParentDish

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 8th, 2011, 12:30 PM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
TBH, We just gave her whatever we had. I've never made two seprate meals.
She only ever had baby jars when we went on days out.

December 8th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Heather, I did baby led on solids....I believe the "rule" on that is if baby starts showing interest in your food, etc then you can try. Noelle was about 5 months and thought she could have my spoon and watched me very intently whenever I ate. LOL! She's beena greedy goober ever since. LOL!

December 8th, 2011, 12:56 PM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Bailey- View Post
Why start veggies before fruits?
From what I gathered from the brochure I was given at my first OB appt., you start veggies first because baby could refuse them since they would not taste as sweet as the fruits s/he's been eating so far.

December 8th, 2011, 01:46 PM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both of my kids wound up with horrible reflux so we were told to start rice cereal and adding it to their bottles to thicken it up by 2 weeks. We take their cues for when to start other solids. I do start with veggies first so they don't get used to the sweet taste and then reject the veggies. I stick to the rule that you should give one food for 3 days or so to see if they have a reaction before starting a new one, only so we'll know what they react to if it happens. (That only ever happened with apricots for DS). I give PB, strawberries, and such before 1, but not honey. DS used to LOVE jarred food. DD on the other hand HATED it all so she was eating mashed up or small bits of table food by 7 months.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

December 8th, 2011, 03:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I tried starting dd with rice cereal at 4 months but she ended up with a dairy and rice allergy so we stuck eith just breast milk until 6 months then went to oatmeal. I did veggies first because I've been told once they taste sweet they won't try veggies and my dd loves her veggies so I'm gonna do the same way with this baby.
She grew out of dairy allergy by 1.5 yrs and rice by 2 but because of allergies, she still has never had peanut butter or nuts or shellfish and she's 2.5 yrs old, my pediatrician wants me to wait til she's 3 and even then I'll be so nervous

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w.../ryderlee1.gif
December 8th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2noelle View Post
Heather, I did baby led on solids....I believe the "rule" on that is if baby starts showing interest in your food, etc then you can try. Noelle was about 5 months and thought she could have my spoon and watched me very intently whenever I ate. LOL! She's beena greedy goober ever since. LOL!
Yepyep, that's what I've heard. And it makes more sense to me than trying to get them to eat solids if they really don't wanna since they don't need anything but breastmilk for quite some time as it is.

Quote:
From what I gathered from the brochure I was given at my first OB appt., you start veggies first because baby could refuse them since they would not taste as sweet as the fruits s/he's been eating so far.
I guess the reasoning behind it is logical, but then wouldn't you introduce ALL not sweet foods before introducing anything sweet? Not saying you're wrong or anything just doesn't make sense

Hmmm I'm gonna have to investigate this

December 8th, 2011, 04:07 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do how I please. I don't follow rules. I don't give baby cereal. I make my own baby food. I start when they show interest as long as they can sit unsupported. I do my own thing as far as parenting.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

December 8th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Super Mommy
I have always delayed strawberries and honey due to my own allergies... but the boys don't seem to have any allergies yet.
Our second son also started cereal in his bottle at about a month due to extreme reflux at the peds suggestion. It didn't help him- he would rather nurse.
December 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
chapsgirl07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started rice cereal in the bottle at 5 months because he needed it thick enough to not spit up everything he ate. As for fruits and veggies, he preferred veggies right from the start. I never used jarred, I made my own. (Mostly because I think they taste better and it was WAY cheaper!!). I held off on honey until the recommended age. I held off on wheat products for quite awhile because I have a gluten allergy. I was really nervous that he would too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search