Heartburn Relief

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2011, 05:27 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lately I've been getting bad heartburn, and have no idea what I should take to help it.
I usually just sip on milk every time it comes on, but it's been happening when I can't drink milk [like at work, or earlier in the day when I'm out and about] more and more often.
I absolutely hate taking pills, so I really don't want to add something like Tums to my vast collection of crap I have to take now But if I have to, I have to. It's a better alternative to feeling like my throat is burning haha.

So what do you guys do to help with heartburn?
Tried anything that didn't work, or you didn't like?
Anybody got any tips to help it without medicine of some sort?
[water also helps, I believe because it 'coats your throat' but very very little for me]

December 8th, 2011, 05:32 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do Tums. I only eat them when the heartburn starts to get bad. Today I was getting it in the middle of the day, so I know it is time to start carrying them around in my purse.

December 8th, 2011, 05:33 PM
yugot2h8's Avatar Veteran
chewing sugar free mint gum helps me, I think I've read that you are a server (maybe?), so that might not be an option for you (when I served we weren't allowed to chew gum)

otherwise I am just as clueless as you are. I can't take antacids because I have low iron and they block iron absorption. it is miserable though, I've had horrible acid reflux lately and I am constantly afraid I'm going to throw up

thanks to claire1979 for my gorgeous siggy

December 8th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Whitney-
So are they just as effective when you wait to take them til it gets bad?
That would work so much better than if I just have to take it when it starts for it to do me much good, because sometimes it does go away before it gets too bad.

Danielle-
I really hate chewing gum, and all things mint flavored but I'll keep it in mind for when I'm not at work if nothing else is around. Good to know about it blocking iron absorption. I think I'll wait til they test me for anemia to get an antacid, since I've had problems with low iron before. Not too far away now...
And I know how you feel about the acid reflux, if I don't do anything about the heartburn for a couple hours and it doesn't go away on it's own it turns into this and I've almost puked from it it's an icky feeling

December 8th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Super Mommy
I have heartburn all day every day.....tums are my best friend.....LOL. I've heard that drinking milk is supposed to help, but it didn't help me....

December 8th, 2011, 05:58 PM
Milk certainly doesn't help for extended periods of time, but if you drink a little bit when you have heartburn it SHOULD make it go away/calm down temporarily.
Something about it's alkaline, or basic, or the calcium or something...I can't remember, DF knew [which I'm amazed by] why it helped...

December 8th, 2011, 05:59 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When it starts to bother me, I take them, and it usually makes it go away almost instantly.

December 8th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Super Mommy
I rely on prescribed medications, currently omeprazole. But if I forget to take a pill I pay the price then I use tums or whatever is available. Having heartburn sucks! Have you tried small changes to your diet? I can't handle peanut butter or anything spicy.
December 8th, 2011, 06:28 PM
player1023's Avatar Veteran
I take tums but i here pepcid is also good
December 8th, 2011, 06:28 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I didn't have anything spicy or over seasoned today and still managed to get heartburn...then went to the store and forgot to get tums. LOL! I'm going to try milk though now that you mention it.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 8th, 2011, 10:48 PM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica25 View Post
I rely on prescribed medications, currently omeprazole. But if I forget to take a pill I pay the price then I use tums or whatever is available. Having heartburn sucks! Have you tried small changes to your diet? I can't handle peanut butter or anything spicy.
I also take Omeprazole. I do find if I eat too late into the evening that definitely affects it as well.

December 9th, 2011, 12:11 AM
Typed out this big long reply and my internet decided to disconnect when I tried to post...stupid...

Jessica-
I definitely avoid foods that irritate it, but most of the time it strikes long after I've eaten something [when it first started up it'd be at night hours and hours after the last thing I ate]

Nia-
It helps! It might not be as effective as taking an antacid, since I haven't taken one to compare, but it's a better alternative to me when it's available. For me, the more severe it is the more I have to drink, or I have to drink it more frequently.

December 9th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
I'm on Zantac twice a day, but I also har tums spread throughout my house so thr I can chew a couple when the need arises. Everything gives me heartburn. Im pretty sure breathing is causing it for me lol. I've heard an old wives tale that severe wary urn means hairy baby, so I'm assuming I'm having a monkey.

Milk does help a lot though. I find myself popping a couple Tums at 3am and going downstairs to drink some milk just so I can sleep. I also have had to sleep almost sitting up propped up by pillows so that good ol gravity helps.
December 9th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Veteran
WebMD Heartburn Health Center - Find GERD, acid reflux and heartburn information

It's a good start on understanding acid reflux and it's triggers/causes/treatements

I put it this way this morning at work "I was born with acid reflux." I really was

Anyways, pepcid chewables are good, be careful about the maximum and stuff while preggers, defonatly talk to docs about which OTC antacids are safe and which aren't.

Early on I used Tums +Calcium chewables with the 2 am spooning of the ice cream everynight. Hey they both give extra Calcium so that's a plus. However, they aren't working anymore. Because of my sinus infections I can't have too much dairy at all right now so that puts a kink in the ice cream plan.

Remember fruit juices, anything marinera or extra garlic, onions, grease can trigger it.

Right now I'm taking Cimetidine at the OB's orders but that isn't even working anymore. Feel like I"m burping up bubbles of acid at a time. I can go on and on... but the article is a good start.
December 9th, 2011, 08:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I take Zantac. My heartburn is so bad the back of my throat just burns, Zantac does help but it comes on so quick it takes awhile to calm it down

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w.../ryderlee1.gif
December 10th, 2011, 09:39 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
I usually use Tums, milk, and ginger pills. Yeah... usually all at the same time.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
December 10th, 2011, 11:01 AM
Super Mommy
I don't feel so alone in my battle with heartburn now
December 10th, 2011, 04:38 PM
txranchmom's Avatar Country Momma to the Core
I LIVE on tums. LOL Was going through a bottle a week at the height of mine with DS, lol. So far this one hasn't hit that yet, but it will. I Put lemon juice in my water to help me drink enough so I know that is a cleancher for it. But I just deal with it. lol
December 10th, 2011, 09:10 PM
Veteran
Something someone said at work made me think about this.. I was saying how everything flared my acid reflux where before I might go a day or two without it being noticably bad.

"maybe you should look into things you are eating or drinking that didn't cause it before? Just because it doesn't normally cause the acid, your system isn't normal right now is it?"

She had a point. Fatty foods didn't trigger before, but now that I think about it, that could be one of the triggers. Like I mix hamburger meat with macncheese or ramen now. Or even just Hamburger helper used to not do anything, but I realize she has a point. Unless I practically wash the meat after cook does it stand a chance of not upsetting the acid...

So perhaps do a good inventory check, maybe write down your diet and symptoms?? See if you find a pattern, than avoid it.

I also talked to my mom about it and she said that it might be time to go on a Mylanta/Pepto diet *YECK!* seriously bad acid reflux runs in our family.. so she knows what I'm going through during the pregnancy.

< sorry if that third paragraph didn't make much sense... lost my brain during typing that one >

Last edited by Bellasita; December 10th, 2011 at 09:11 PM. Reason: clarifying back to mud
December 10th, 2011, 10:02 PM
Really you could eat foods that have a pretty low chance of causing heartburn, and still get heartburn while pregnant. It's caused by more than just what you eat, baby putting pressure on your stomach is a big reason it happens while pregnant.

Just saying, you could completely evaluate your whole diet and remove any and all foods that can cause heartburn...and still get it. A lot of the times it strikes hours after I eat anything, so I don't think my diet is contributing a whole lot.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search