Food

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
So starting this week, I have begun buying a few extra groceries, and I'm going to make 2-3 extra meals throughout the week. My plan is to freeze them for later consumption. So I thought it would be cool to have everyone add recipes of thiga they make that are freezable and mostly easy. I do this cuz I hate cooking when I have just come home from the hospital. With DD I didn't get to do this too much cuz I was on bedrest......but I cheated a few times and made a about 2 weeks worth of meals.y hope is to have about 6 weeks of meals ready. The one I'm making today is chicken pot pies. The recipe makes enough for 2 deep dish regular sized pies. Super yummy too!!! So I will post that in a reply.
December 9th, 2011, 09:00 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think I'm just going to be doing a lot of slow cooker meals on maternity leave, because I'm not good at casseroles, etc. I need to research that now anyway too so I can order my groceries for the next couple of weeks.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Chicken pot pies
Chicken (1-2lb cubed and cooked or 2 of the big cans of chicken)
3cans cream of chicken
16oz bag of mixed veggies or 2 big cans of mixed veggies
1C sour cream
1C shredded cheese (your choice)
2TBSP spicy brown mustard (optional)
2 deep dish pie crusts
Choice of seasonings (I usually use some onion pwdr garlic pwdr salt pepper)

Cook chicken I using raw chicken (I season my meat at this time)
Mix all ingredients and add remainder seasoning (season to taste)
Scoop into pie crusts and cook according to pie crust directions.

Instead of cooking them immediately I use Hefty jumbo 2.5 gallon bags and write the cooking directions on the ziplock bag. Then place in freezer.

**i also make these pies with ground beef and just exchange the chicken for beef and the cream of chicken for cream of beef. I also never make these exactly the same. I add things on a whim for something different. I love adding A1 to it when I use beef. I have also added mushrooms to this and it's also really good.
December 9th, 2011, 02:18 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Bierocks/Runza/Cabbage buns are the first thing that comes to my mind.
[I learned to make them as Bierocks, but they are all essentially the same thing from what I've been told]

I haven't tried to freeze them, but I've heard they are still pretty tasty frozen and reheated. They make great lunch items, easy to eat quickly and pretty filling. I don't have exact measurements and whatnot, but there are loads of recipes online. If you don't want to make dough from scratch, there are still recipes that use frozen dough.

It's basically ground beef, cabbage and onions mixed together and cooked. Then you put it in the dough and fold it so it becomes a roll/bun and bake it. It's easy to make a lot at a time, and delicious if you like cabbage and onions
Now I really want some....

December 9th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I had never heard of a runza till I moved to Nebraska. But they r on my list of thiga to make and freeze They are super yummy!! We actually have a fast food chain in Nebraska called runza and they make them and serve them w/fries.
December 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is freaking awesome!
I made a bunch of em for friends and whatnot one day and learned they are also called Runzas haha. They are quite delicious, but I haven't made them enough to perfect them.

December 10th, 2011, 08:24 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
I do a lot of soups/stews/chilis and breads. Also, I usually whip up 2-3 things of rotel chicken (since it is a big favorite in my house). Meats in marinades are also really good to freeze.
mom of: Zach (9), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
December 10th, 2011, 03:34 PM
txranchmom's Avatar Country Momma to the Core
I want to do this too, but will start after the 1st of the year, I remember it being SO hard to have a decent good meal right after Ds got here. LOL

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search