Why does the world hate the Duggars

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2011, 11:22 AM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't know if you heard or not about Michelle loosing her baby
Anywho.. I thought this was a great article!

Why Does the World Hate the Duggars?

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

December 9th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Super Mommy
Great link! I love watching that show. It helps me be calm with my own children and gives me a good example. When Michelle says to get your childrens eyes before speaking she knows what she is talking about- this has helped me multiple times to get my 5 year old on the right track. I don't really agree with having so many children for the average person but that family really makes it work!
December 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you for sharing that Brandy! It is so nice to read something positive and uplifting about the Duggars for a change. I am so irritated by people who have nothing nice to say.

I am disgusted by the commentors who feel like Michelle Duggar should be learning some sort of lesson and closing up her baby making shop in light of this recent miscarriage. It's so insensitive. You can't say "I'm sorry she lost her baby, BUT...(insert your ignorant opinion here)". Sorta defeats the purpose of expressing any false condolensce. Anyway...

I am very heartbroken for them and was looking forward to watching their family grow. I admire them and their ability to truly embrace their convictions. The only thing that I see that is remotely different, in all honesty, is that they have 19 kids. You see the kids being kids, but they're also responsible. Ok, I'm not going to get all into my gooey crush on the Duggars. But I am a supporter.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 9th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
It makes my mind boggle when people are happy they lost their baby. I would be devastated if I lost mine at that point and extend the same sympathies to anyone else who does.

December 9th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm very sorry she lost her baby....I couldn't imagine how that feels regardless of #2 or #20. BUT, I think it would be an even bigger tragedy if her 19 children and 2 grandchildren lost their mother because her body is getting to the point where it's getting dangerous to have anymore children. I don't think that's ignorant to say, but to some it may be. I also love the Duggars....I wouldn't or couldn't have that many children, but it's not my life, so I'm not one to judge.

December 9th, 2011, 12:49 PM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
I too love the Duggars... I am a complete addict of their show. Michelle and Jimbob come across as wonderful people, I love how they raise their children and how respectful they are. No one deserves to loose a child, no matter how many they already have.

However, I have to agree with Jennifer.
My sister had Pre-E with her first daughter, It wasnt as bad as it could have been although she was poorly, When she fell pregnant with her second daughter she almost died from it. It was that bad. She was warned not have anymore children incase it got worse again and she did infact die. Now, they listend to the drs and her partner had a vasectomy and she went on the pill as they dont want the 'risk' of her getting pregnant if the vasectomy fails at any point as she her self has said she could never abort. They wanted a very large family and it broke their heart to have to stop at two healthy children but they knew it was for the best. In there eyes it wasnt worth the risk to try again.

December 9th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conners Mommie +2 View Post
BUT, I think it would be an even bigger tragedy if her 19 children and 2 grandchildren lost their mother because her body is getting to the point where it's getting dangerous to have anymore children.
See, to me this borderlines on one of those statements that is judgey. How do you (or any of us) know that it's dangerous for her body to have kids? Is that simply because of age? I just wish people could truly be sorry and leave it at that. This is a conditional sorry.

December 9th, 2011, 12:51 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
But you can say that with any amount of children past one. You can have complications and die with any pregnancy. Anyone with ANY children are taking risks all the time that may leave their child without a parent.

Heck, look at us military families. Or police officers and firefighters. They put their lives on the line knowing they may not come home to their families. It doesn't make them selfish for having kids knowing they may leave them.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 9th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2noelle View Post
See, to me this borderlines on one of those statements that is judgey. How do you (or any of us) know that it's dangerous for her body to have kids? Is that simply because of age? I just wish people could truly be sorry and leave it at that. This is a conditional sorry.
Word around the internet (although how true it is i dont actually know) is that she was warned after Josie to not have anymore.

December 9th, 2011, 12:53 PM
That's fine, but we don't even know if she had pre-e this time or that her doctor said she needed to stop. If I remember correctly, from the season finale, her doc said it was ok for her to have another...

December 9th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Thea Maria G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yea twitter was very unforgiving. I figure that you dont have to agree with how anyone lives their life or if its for you or not but don't be an ******* when someone loses their child. Thats heartbreaking. People are so rude these days. I wish that on no one and she was 6 months along!. That could have been anyone and to not hear a heartbeat is so devastating.

31yr old Working Mama, MBA Graduate, Married Proud Mama of April Gabrielle E.
December 9th, 2011, 12:59 PM
Conners Mommie +2's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2noelle View Post
I am not judgey at all....that's my opinion. I said "I THINK"....and yes, because of her age, because of Josie being so premature and having so many health problems and then losing this baby. Like I said earlier though, her life, her choice.

December 9th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conners Mommie +2 View Post
I am not judgey at all....that's my opinion. I said "I THINK"....and yes, because of her age, because of Josie being so premature and having so many health problems and then losing this baby. Like I said earlier though, her life, her choice.
Didn't say YOU were judgey...said the comment came across as such.

December 9th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Ooo You Touch My TraLaLa
Send a message via Skype™ to Dez
Despite the fact that I think what's going on is a circus, I feel bad that she miscarried. It's got to be hard no matter how many kids you have or how far along in pregnancy you are in. I know that my chemical pregnancy was killer on me.

I can't help but wonder however if she's going to take it as a sign from God that they should be done, especially if you include her last baby being very premature. I say that because I know that is their whole tagline. "In Gods hands". Or if they are going to try without preventing (perhaps that's what they've been doing and if they get pregnant great, if not no big deal.
December 9th, 2011, 01:23 PM
They have never prevented since the miscarrage after Josh; They have said they will leave it upto god for how many children they have so I dont think they will activley prevent even now.

December 9th, 2011, 01:27 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It is very sad she lost this baby, especially so far along when most woman see themselves "in the clear".

I don't think we as the public know what caused the miscarriage, we can only speculate. Heck, they might not even know or have a good guess at least. Her ability to produce healthy babies at her age, and after having so many previously is just one possibility. I just hope if they DON'T know what caused it, and her age/ability is considered a factor by her doctor they take it into serious consideration.

There are definitely a lot of people who say some cruel and heartless things about them, and it's not exactly fair. But they chose to put themselves in the spotlight, and what reality show has never had someone talking crap about it in the history of reality shows?

December 9th, 2011, 01:33 PM
Super Mommy
I believe her body will decide sometime soon to start perimenopause- she is in her mid 40's and the average woman starts at 51. She has spent the majority of her life pregnant and it will be interesting to see how she transitions into the next phase. Somehow I think it will be gracefully.
December 9th, 2011, 01:47 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I don't watch their show and because my computer is very slow, I can't read the article in the link from the first post.

What I do know is that some people can be very heartless and sound very unncaring. I had a miscarriage in March of this year, I was only 7-8 weeks along, but to me it was very heartbreaking. Some people seem to believe that its no big deal to miscarry a baby if you have many children already. I got plenty of nasty comments including, "well you didn't really need another baby anyway" or "at least you already have kids." As if already having children makes losing one that much easier. Thinking of my baby that was lost still brings tears to my eyes. It was my baby!!! I was already in love at 7-8 weeks, my heart hurts for Michelle Duggar. I am so sorry for her loss and I offer nothing but prayers to her and her family.

My deepest sympathies go out to Michelle and her family.
#12 is on the way
December 9th, 2011, 01:50 PM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Her Pre-E with Josie has nothing to do with another pregnancy. A woman can have Pre-e with one pregnancy and never have it again. (i had it with my first and didn't have it with my DD) its not fair to say that because she had problems with her 19th pregnancy and had a preemie that her body is failing. she was told by her Dr thr she could get pregnant again and the risks would be the same if she was 45 on her 2nd or 45 on her 20th. This is a wonderful family and in my opinion I think that people need to leave them alone. I understand they have hung their own dirty laundry out by being on tv, but they don't ask for judgement or critiscm. So in other words to say that she should stop cuz she had a preemie and now a miscarriage is just judgmental period of your opinion of why. Im not trying to be rude I'm really not, but as someone who has had many miscarriages and has had Pre-e and had preterm labor, I don't think it's right for anyone to judge anybody about getting pregnant again. I have lost more babies than I have given birth too, but that isn't stopped me from waning and trying to have more.

ETA: sorry about the grammar and lack of punctuation and paragraphs lol I'm on my iPhone which is why I usually keep my comments short

Last edited by Lovemykiddos!; December 9th, 2011 at 01:53 PM.
December 9th, 2011, 02:12 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemykiddos! View Post
Her Pre-E with Josie has nothing to do with another pregnancy. A woman can have Pre-e with one pregnancy and never have it again. (i had it with my first and didn't have it with my DD) its not fair to say that because she had problems with her 19th pregnancy and had a preemie that her body is failing. she was told by her Dr thr she could get pregnant again and the risks would be the same if she was 45 on her 2nd or 45 on her 20th. This is a wonderful family and in my opinion I think that people need to leave them alone. I understand they have hung their own dirty laundry out by being on tv, but they don't ask for judgement or critiscm. So in other words to say that she should stop cuz she had a preemie and now a miscarriage is just judgmental period of your opinion of why. Im not trying to be rude I'm really not, but as someone who has had many miscarriages and has had Pre-e and had preterm labor, I don't think it's right for anyone to judge anybody about getting pregnant again. I have lost more babies than I have given birth too, but that isn't stopped me from waning and trying to have more.

ETA: sorry about the grammar and lack of punctuation and paragraphs lol I'm on my iPhone which is why I usually keep my comments short
Unless I missed something, I don't think anyone here said straight up they should stop having kids because of issues in previous pregnancies. I'm just looking at it from this perspective: she has had many healthy pregnancies, with few losses and few problems. Now her last two pregnancies have had rather serious problems, this could easily be seen as her body telling her "no more". It could also just mean she's hit some bad luck and her body is fine. Anyone who makes any comment, good or bad, on it is just speculating, none of us really know what's going on.
I don't watch the show often, but with their whole philosophy of leaving it up to God I do not get the impression they would stop even if the doctor said it was risky [but like I said, I don't watch the show often or know them personally so it's not like I can say this is a fact, just the impression I get]

They aren't asking for judgement or criticism, but it would be VERY naive of them to think "Oh yeah we can go on TV and have millions of people watching every moment of our lives, because we live a rather unique lifestyle, and no one will judge us badly" And I'm sure their contract has been up, and re-signed once or twice by now, so if the negative comments really bothered them...they could have said "no more" and attempted to live as much out of the spotlight as possible.
No matter how great you are, how good and nice of a person you are, how fantastic your life is [and the exact opposite is true too] there will ALWAYS be someone there to hate on you. And the more people exposed to you, the more your chances go up.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search