First Time Mom Christmas Present Ideas?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2011, 01:53 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So both my sister, and BFF, are pregnant and first time moms. I wanna get them something baby and mommy related for Christmas. But being a first time mom myself, I have NO idea where to start.

They both find out the gender here soon [BFF on Thursday, Sister on the 20th] so I'm planning on getting them a gender-specific outfit for sure. But I also wanna get something more helpful to mom, than just for baby. I know we've had similar discussions on here before...but I have no memory these days

So BTDT moms, any items that made your life easier as a mom? any items that weren't really helpful? anything you think would help you now, even if you don't own it? anything that you would never want to receive as a gift, because you'd want to be the one to pick it out?

FTM moms, any items that you really want? anything you wouldn't want to receive as a gift, because you'd want to be the one to pick it out?

Any ideas at all are welcome.
My fallback is gonna be like, a baby book or keepsake box or something sentimental of that nature.

December 9th, 2011, 03:58 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Personally, I think it would be nice to focus on just Mom. You will soon find out that after your baby is born, everything is about the baby. I'd get them something like a gift certificate for a mani/pedi or something of that nature...but that's my personal opinion.

I know that people make it a point to get me stuff that is just for me because I share so much and spend so much on my child.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Momma to 2 and one angel
I agree focus on mom you can get the baby alittle something to if you want too but keep the focus on mommy.

I know you are talking Christmas gifts but when I go to a baby shower i like to include a small "labor bag"

chapstick
gum
hair ties
massage lotions or hand lotion
maybe a puzzle book and pen
maybe a pretty little journal so they can write things down if they want to ( you can make it pink or blue)

another idea gift certificates so they can be pampered before or after baby is born.

December 9th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Chelbell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Maybe a really pretty mother's necklace? Or a nice stylish diaper bag.
Chelsey, mom to Jaxon(3), Zachary(1), and expecting #3 11/11/13

December 9th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Super Mommy
I love the journal idea! Maybe a framed photo of them pregnant so they can remember thier journey?
December 9th, 2011, 04:38 PM
My sister actually asked for stuff for baby, though I know she wants stuff for herself too. I definitely want to keep it focused on mom though, which is why I'm just gonna get one outfit for baby, as they both find out the gender very soon. And one outfit doesn't exactly break the bank.

The gift certificate thing is a good idea, but BFF wouldn't like/use it. And sister lives pretty far away from a spa/nail salon.
The labor bag sounds like a good idea for a baby shower, not so much Christmas though.
Mother's necklace is something I will think about though. Diaper bags can get quite costly though, and that's something I would personally want to pick out on my own [my sister wants one that's about 100$, yeah she's on her own there haha]

December 9th, 2011, 05:02 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
What about some nice lotions or something along that lines to pamper themselves without being over the top? Or a certificate to a favorite restaurant?

The mother's necklace isn't a bad idea, but it kind of depends on your take on them. I have been holding off on getting one because I want one design that incorporates all my kids, you know?

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 9th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Good point about the necklace.

Lotions and all that girly stuff was in the back of my head, but I get all the girls i know that kinda stuff every year...so it wouldn't be all that special

Am I being difficult enough yet? haha

December 9th, 2011, 07:29 PM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Something I would personally like would be a nice comfy robe. I want something to throw over my pj's since we'll have DH's mom living with us but I also want baby to have 'easy access' for the first several weeks where she's eating pretty often.

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
December 10th, 2011, 08:41 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2noelle View Post
Personally, I think it would be nice to focus on just Mom. You will soon find out that after your baby is born, everything is about the baby. I'd get them something like a gift certificate for a mani/pedi or something of that nature...but that's my personal opinion.

I know that people make it a point to get me stuff that is just for me because I share so much and spend so much on my child.
I HATE when people get me baby things for Christmas/birthday when I am pregnant.
And I'm with Nia, my family all had to start giving me gift certificates to specific places that didn't carry any kid related things so that I would stop using money I got on those things for the kids.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14
December 10th, 2011, 06:46 PM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
I have been asking for baby related stuff for every birthday and Xmas since i was preggo with Claire. It pisses me off when people refuse to buy a baby item bc they want to focus on me. They don't seem to understand that I WANT a new stroller or a new diaper bag or new cloth diapers or whatever. I don't need or want anything else so why should I be made to feel like there's something wrong with saying that's what I want?!

Bailey I usually get first timers a breast feeding gift basket (Lansinoh, gel soothers, cloth nursing pads, a pretty cover (if she's shy), a nursing top (I really like Motherhood Maternity) and two books: the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding and Ina May's Guide to Breastfeeding.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
December 10th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Ah! See I'm glad I'm not the only one then. I really do want baby stuff for Christmas!

My sister asked specifically for baby stuff. Not even a hint as to anything otherwise, her exact words "Get something for your little niece or nephew!" So my compromise is to get something that'll make her life easier with baby. It's not JUST for the baby, but it's still baby related.

My BFF drives me up the wall with gifts. I work hard to find something she will like. Then without fail she will end up asking me if I can return it and get her something else, or ask if I've gotten her something yet because she wants this instead. Now I'm just getting her practical stuff she needs so I don't have to deal with it. And she definitely needs baby stuff...so the compromise with my sister works just as well here.

December 11th, 2011, 10:08 AM
WhoaMomma!'s Avatar Danielle
Wow your friend is rude. I would give her an empty box and tell her your gift this year matched her gratitude last year.

My daughter is perfect, but her birth was not. If you or someone you love is struggling to cope with a traumatic childbirth experience, please visit http://www.solaceformothers.org/
December 11th, 2011, 11:09 PM
She's my BFF and still in high school...I forgive her slightly based on that.
I've also never ever given in to it. If I've already gotten her something, that's what she gets.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search