Check out this blog post. :)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2011, 07:11 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great blog post!

Breastfeeding in public is offensive – see for yourself! Nature's Mothers Blog

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

December 10th, 2011, 07:32 PM
Super Mommy
OMG! That is a great link! That really puts things in perspective!
December 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That's great haha!
I really don't think I've ever hear someone make a comment about breastfeeding in public being offensive, or indecent though. Of course I know people do feel this way...but I think if more women had the courage to do it [even if you wanna cover yourself up with a blanket or something!] people wouldn't feel this way. It just needs to make a comeback in our culture as something completely natural and normal to do.

December 11th, 2011, 05:30 AM
Heather, I think you're right...but I posted this on FB and one of my friends told me she used to get dirty looks from other women, even when she would go in the dressing rooms or family bathrooms. I plan to be more vigilant about nursing in public this time around. I did with Noelle, but not as much as I could have and often did take bottles with us.

December 11th, 2011, 05:49 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's awesome!!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

December 11th, 2011, 05:51 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think the attitude in this country that breasts are sexual and even if you are using them for their intended purpose we shouldn't ever see them is ridiculous. I never personally had anyone say anything to me or give me a dirty look, luckily. I did always use a nursing cover, but that was mostly for my comfort level, not anyone else's comfort. Sometimes, I still felt self conscious about it and I don't even know why. I am pretty lucky too, because in my circle of friends, breastfeeding is the norm, and only a few of my friends bottle fed.

December 11th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Whitney, it's the same way among my friends...most either tried to or did successfully, so it's not weird to whip out your boob and nurse...same with my family. It's just the way kids eat.

December 11th, 2011, 06:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2noelle View Post
Whitney, it's the same way among my friends...most either tried to or did successfully, so it's not weird to whip out your boob and nurse...same with my family. It's just the way kids eat.
It really makes it so much easier! Plus, I had a few close girlfriends who had successfully nursed before me, so I had someone to talk to if things got rough.

December 11th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Exactly! And I was able to offer help to friends who nursed after me too.

December 11th, 2011, 06:31 AM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
When my mum found out I was planning on breastfeeding Molly her response was pretty much; you aint doing that infront of me. Im sorry but if my baby needs food I'll feed her, if you have a problem with it... remove your self from the inviroment, better still i will pass you a blanket and you can cover your head.

I dont plan on being made to feel what I am doing is wrong.
Breastfeeding will be new to my family and I need all the support I can get... I posted that psge to my facebook the other day, along with another one of a bunch of breast feeding babies flipping the bird lol

December 11th, 2011, 06:44 AM
LOL Emma! I'm sorry your mom isn't supportive. That's gotta suck.

December 11th, 2011, 06:49 AM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
Ah dont worry about it. I have a supportive husband thats all that matters As long as he supports my choices its all hunky dorey. Anyone else can kiss my arse

December 11th, 2011, 06:54 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
In my family breastfeeding is the norm, unfortunately im a 1000 miles from my family. In DHs family, I'm the one and only breast feeder. I got a lot of rude comments from his family with DD. they tried to make me uncomfortable and even tried to tell me I should be in a room alone to do it. Luckily his family hates me so I hopefully won't be around them much this time. But i got to where I made a point of pulling my boob out and not covering anything. Just to make a statement.
December 11th, 2011, 07:03 AM
Dizzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is an amazing post, thanks for sharing, Nia!!

BFing is a common thing in my side of the family but we don't live near them, unfortunately. We live near DH's family where all the kids in his family were adopted and no one breastfed so the first time I breastfed in front of them they were all leaving the room and what-not. My husbands aunt even asked if I'd "please do that in the bathroom" when we were at her house for Christmas dinner one year. DH was so offended on my behalf that we just scooped up the kiddos and left!

December 11th, 2011, 08:06 AM
Tasia, I love when people ask you to feed your child in the BATHROOM!!!! Do they eat in the bathroom??? UGH!

Rachael, I would probablydo just what you do.

I'm not around D's family much and I don't think his mom ever had anything to say about me breastfeeding...not that it would matter.

December 11th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have to feed my baby in a bedroom around dh's family. None of them breastfeed their kids, they think it's gross and I don't understand that, it's the most natural beautiful thing. They have been known to prop their babies up on pillows and prop a bottle in their mouth, which I completely disagree with because for one it's a choking hazard for two they are missing out on that beautiful bonding time even if it is with a bottle. I love lOoking into my babys eyes while nursing and look forward to that again with this baby. They are even uncomfortable with a nursing cover in front of them. With my family I do cover up but I don't have to hide.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w.../ryderlee1.gif
December 11th, 2011, 09:11 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
With my oldest I got a LOT of negative comments about nursing and ultimately gave up after 5 weeks.

I REFUSE to apologize for nursing now. I will nurse my child whenever and wherever I am and I will not cover him or her up with a blanket.

Most of my rude comments now come from the fact that we are extended nursers. I was told I was sexually abusing my daughter for nursing her for 3.5 years. I wish EXTENDED nursing was seen as normal. Even on this board a few months ago there were rude comments about it. People don't even think about it.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 11th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Dizzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
With my oldest I got a LOT of negative comments about nursing and ultimately gave up after 5 weeks.

I REFUSE to apologize for nursing now. I will nurse my child whenever and wherever I am and I will not cover him or her up with a blanket.

Most of my rude comments now come from the fact that we are extended nursers. I was told I was sexually abusing my daughter for nursing her for 3.5 years. I wish EXTENDED nursing was seen as normal. Even on this board a few months ago there were rude comments about it. People don't even think about it.
I only BF Cole to 2 years, he self weaned at that point, but I was constantly getting comments about how I shouldn't BF past the time they're walking, how disturbing it was to see a 2 year old BOY breastfeeding still (I'm still not sure wth difference his gender made!), that he was going to be going off to college with breastmilk in the freezer, etc. Ugh. Narrow mindedness really gets me!

December 11th, 2011, 10:48 AM
I don't know why anyone feels they need to make a comment about someone else's parenting choices. If extended breastfeeding is not something they want to do, that's fine, don't do it then. But that doesn't give them a right to impose their beliefs on someone else.

Dd pretty much self weaned at 15 months. She just stopped asking to do it. It was sad for me, but we had a good run,and the end was as easy as can be, because she was ready. I plan to self wean with the next one as well.

December 11th, 2011, 11:09 AM
The whole extended breastfeeding debacle started off as innocent joke making, in my opinion. And from what I recall, apologies were made and accepted. I don't think anyone realized that we had an extended nurser and the comments weren't made to try to convince anyone to change their parenting styles.

Anyhoo...I was sort of forced to wean Noelle at 13 months because of work. D wanted me to stop at one year and I snuck the extra month in since I knew I would be traveling anyway. He seems to be very uncomfortable with extended nursing too. I'm not sure how this one will play out, but I know I'm going at least 12 months and will probably aim more towards baby led weaning this time. PERSONALLY (be it naive or ignorant or whatever), I equate nursing with babies, and probably wouldn't nurse past 18 months regardless.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search