Baby measuring ahead?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 14th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Thea Maria G's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
April was measuring 2 weeks ahead @ 30 weeks during my 28 week appt last week. Anyone else? She said not to worry but would do an ultrasound around 34 weeks to make sure she isn't too big. I also need to add that im 5'11 LOL. Not sure if that helps but....anyone else had this happen? If so what happened in the end?

31yr old Working Mama, MBA Graduate, Married Proud Mama of April Gabrielle E.
December 14th, 2011, 06:23 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I wouldnt put too much into measuring ahead, it can just be the position of baby when they measure. As far as ultrasounds for measuring baby's size just remember they can be way off.
They once told me a baby was over 10 pounds and he was only 8 1/2, and this was a matter of a day later.
#12 is on the way
December 14th, 2011, 06:50 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
It could also be baby's length they can't really measure fat on the u/s so they just go by head, leg length, and belly size. So if ur baby has really long legs that's probably where the measuring ahead comes from .

Beau's legs and arms are measuring 2 weeks ahead but the rest of him is right on target.....so that combined with my heartburn makes me assume I'm having a monkey lol.
December 14th, 2011, 07:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemykiddos! View Post
It could also be baby's length they can't really measure fat on the u/s so they just go by head, leg length, and belly size. So if ur baby has really long legs that's probably where the measuring ahead comes from .

Beau's legs and arms are measuring 2 weeks ahead but the rest of him is right on target.....so that combined with my heartburn makes me assume I'm having a monkey lol.
thanks ladies!

December 14th, 2011, 07:19 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
They say Baby Slater is already 2lbs 5 oz, but they always tell me my baby is big and then they are born itty bitty (5 and 6 lbers) so I don't think he is as big as they tell me.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 14th, 2011, 07:26 AM
txranchmom's Avatar Country Momma to the Core
Mine has from about week 12 or so. Right at a week and a half ahead, of what they tell me I am. Haven't changed my due date yet though. No idea about what happens in the end, my 1st measured right on, Ifigure, he'll either be a week or so early, or he'll be late and closer to my date that they've given me. Which is fine too, cause I don't want to be induced, so it'll give my body and him a week to play around with before they start pushing it.

And no I'm not tall at 5'2" either.

Last edited by txranchmom; December 14th, 2011 at 07:29 AM.
December 14th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Momma to 2 and one angel
I was measuring 25 wks at my 21 wks appointment and the doc said its ok soo Im not to worried about it. this little boy is so high also.

They told me with my first I was looking at a 10 lbs baby but when he was born he was only 6 lbs 2 ounces but was 21 inces long. U/S can be way off.

December 14th, 2011, 08:39 AM
Thanks ladies, i feel so relieved. Sometimes coming here helps ease my Anxiety vs my dr. I think it because you all have so much different experiences to share

December 14th, 2011, 08:54 AM
mythreesons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
All of my boys measured big (anywhere from 2-6 weeks). This little one is already measuring 3 weeks ahead. My boys were on the bigger side, ranging from 8lb 6 oz - 9 lb 8 oz.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my wonderful siggy!

Me: Kristine

December 14th, 2011, 10:01 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I agree - don't sweat it! Even when they say your baby is "too big," it's very rarely true. Babies come in all sizes and shapes

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 14th, 2011, 10:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They told me Samantha would be in the 8 pound range..she was 6 lbs then they told me my son would be 7 pounds..he was over 9!! Ultrasounds in my own experience are notoriously inaccurate as far as size goes. Don't sweat it at all!
Johnny age 4 born October 8, 2008
SHANE IS HERE!! Born March 1, 2012

Breastfeeding for 8 months now!!

December 14th, 2011, 01:15 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
^ Yeah, this too! I read somewhere that ultrasound measurements are usually accurate "within 2 pounds." Well, that's kind of a big difference when you're talking about the size of a baby!!!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
December 14th, 2011, 02:15 PM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
Baby has been measuring a week ahead for months now. I've been told it means nothing.

On the baby weight thing, doctors told my mom that she was expecting an 8 pounds baby and when she actually gave birth, I was a whooping 10 pounds 8 ounces. So yeah, unless the measurements are *really* too high or too low, I say take it with a grain of salt.

December 14th, 2011, 05:42 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Up until this week [28 weeks] baby was measuring right on, now she's measuring about a week behind according to my fundal height AND U/S. Considering she's been measuring just fine up until now I'm not putting too much in either method. I'd say as long as the difference isn't too drastic [which I'd say 2 weeks isn't] I don't think it's cause for worry.

And like the other ladies said, U/S weights are so inaccurate. It always seems to be 1-2lbs over what baby actually weighs. Sadly a couple girls I know 'had to' get induced because they said baby was too big...and baby ended up being 2lbs smaller and mom had a terrible long labor from being induced.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search