Damon Michael, 01.21.12

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 23rd, 2012, 06:58 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
Friday the 20th, I went to the bathroom at 4:20pm and lost the last of my plug, which had been coming out little by little for a week or so. I was about to go to my dad/grandparents (they live next door to one another) for dinner. I didn’t want to stay home to wait and wonder, but I was feeling a little bit crampy, so I figured before I left, I would get my hospital bag finished, as I thought labour would begin that night or the next day. I didn’t bring it with me, though. I had thought about bringing an extra pair of pants, just in case my water broke, but decided against it. We had lasagna for dinner and visited for a while. By 8:45pm I was feeling tired, and just wanted to get the kids home to bed, but being a Friday night, their bedtime wasn’t til 10, so I just sat in my grandpa’s recliner and rocked a bit. My 2-year-old got down on the floor in front of me on his hands and knees and got all serious, so I figured I was about to change a diaper. I was watching for him to finish, when my water broke. I said, “uh oh!” and jumped up quickly, not wanting to ruin my grandpa’s good chair. Luckily I had a liner on, so I didn’t make a mess. But, I didn’t have anything else to wear, so I had to change into an adult diaper and my dad’s old work jeans, which wouldn’t zip. :-D I thought that was pretty hilarious. I had my first contraction at 9:33pm, and it wasn’t bad. My brother called my mom to come get me, while I got dressed and gathered my stuff. Mom grabbed my just-packed bags, and headed over, in, of course, our first real snowfall of the year. The kids stayed with my dad, but were so excited that the baby was coming. Timmy had predicted he’d be born on the 20th, so since my last 3 labours were 5-1/2 hours combined, we thought he might be right.
The lines in the roads weren’t visible, and we were in a Sebring with a 45 minute drive ahead of us, so my mom kept bringing up an ambulance, but I didn’t want to end up at the nearest hospital. I wanted to be at my hospital. I tried my best to stall labour while we drove, and I guess I succeeded. My contractions weren’t yet regular when we got to the ER at 10:20: 9:33, 9:41, 9:45, 9:48, 9:57, 10:02, 10:12, 10:17, 10:19.
We had called ahead, so we went right upstairs and into a room. I had enough NSTs in the last couple months, they knew who I was, anyway. I put the gown on over my tank top, got on the monitors, had some blood drawn and got an IV. I was 5cm, 80% and –2 at 10:39pm. My contractions were 3 minutes apart, and still not really bothering me, but I asked for IV pain meds right away. I didn’t want to wait and have it be too late- that’s happened twice before. They brought me morphine in a shot and for the IV. After a minute, I felt chattier, but I don’t think it ended up helping with pain. I sat and talked to my mom while she was dozing off in a chair. I stayed in the bed for a while, sitting upright and rocking my hips during contractions. At 11:35 the contractions were getting more intense, and my nurse determined I was 5-6 cm. She wanted to keep a close eye on me, and said she had a feeling he’d be there fast.
I was annoyed to not really have any progress, so I got up and moved around a little bit... sat on the edge of the bed and leaned forward... I squatted next to the bed for 2 or 3 contractions, and suddenly they got more painful. I felt that I couldn’t stand up through them, so I sat on the bed again, and continued talking about random things with my mom. Shannon, my very nice nurse, checked me again at 12:25, and I was 6 and 0 station. I was pleased that he was at least moving down, because I was getting uncomfortable, and I didn’t know how long this would last. It was going so slow, and I definitely didn’t want an epidural, because I wanted to choose a comfortable position to deliver in, rather than be stuck on my back.
By 12:31am, I was contracting every two minutes. They weren’t showing on the monitor, so I watched the clock in between. Baby’s heart rate was registering, and stayed steady in the 140s-160s. I had to pee really bad, and didn’t want to have to use the bathroom after giving birth, when I’d be all swollen, and unable to go. So I got up and went in the bathroom, sat there for a while and couldn’t go, and then I felt pressure. I hadn’t had any diarrhea, so I wasn’t sure if it was that, or if I was getting close to complete. My mom told me to come back to bed, but I couldn’t walk. She and one of the nurses held me under my arms, and walked me back to the bed. It was 1:10 am and I was 8 cm. At this point, they noticed there was a second bag of water. I asked if they would break it, and they did. Of course, that made the contractions even harder. I had been breathing through all my contractions so far, but that went out the window. They were coming close and hard, and I knew the last 2cm would be fast. I was shaking during contractions, and trying to relax every muscle, in between.
I was feeling a lot of pressure by then, and having a hard time not pushing. This was 1:20, and I was 9cm, and they were all telling me not to push. I was 9.5 with the next contraction, and said that I couldn’t control it anymore, my body was ready to push, and it wasn’t going to listen to them. My nurse said to go ahead, that I’d probably be complete in the next contraction or two. I stopped fighting the pressure, but didn’t actively push until she confirmed I was 10cm. There was also a third bag of water- he was nice and safe in there, lol! So that one was broken, and I started pushing at 1:25. Unfortunately, there was no relief in it this time. That’s what I had been looking forward to, but it felt even worse than the contractions. I was in too much pain to move into any different positions, but it was fairly “comfortable” how I was, sitting upright with my legs at the edges of the bed. They wanted me to pull my legs up to my chest, but I wasn’t going to fight gravity, and that would’ve really hurt my hips, so I said no. And they were okay with that. That was a pleasant surprise. I also appreciated that no one was repeatedly shouting, “push!” at me, or counting and trying to tell me when. They just let me follow my body. My first couple of pushes were pretty half-assed. I realized I had no choice but to push harder, no matter how awful it felt, to just get it over with. I had read a birth story where the mom mentioned trying to keep her pushes very close together once the baby began crowning, so the head wouldn’t slip back in. this sounded like a good idea to me, so when I had to take another breath, I kept bearing down, and it seemed to work. I was yelling and probably sounded rather whiny. I think I screamed when I got the head out, and they asked me not to push, so I didn’t tear. I yelled at Dr. Orr to “just pull him out!” :-D It burned way more than I remember, and I was so sure that I was all torn up and would need a million stitches. After his mouth and nose were suctioned, I gave one more big push, and his body slid out. I still felt like fire down below, but the contractions ceased, and I had a brand new son, so I was happy. He started screaming the moment he was born. They held him up for me to see, and I got to cut the cord. I was still shaking so hard, it took me quite a few tries. Every time they moved him, I’d flinch in pain, from the cord rubbing against me, but I actually didn’t have any tears, and the stinging and sensitivity went away over the next couple hours. I had asked that they clean him up before I held him, so they took him to the warmer to assess him. While I delivered the placenta, my mom took my phone over to get pictures for me. She told me that he had long black hair. I guess I didn’t realize that when I was cutting the cord. I couldn’t believe he had hair at all, because my older three were all but bald, and had light hair, at birth. This, plus his wide nose and very dark genitals makes me think Brandon is not his father. Baby’s skin is pretty light, and his hair is very fine, but I think he’s biracial. We really wanted Brandon to be Damon’s father- he chose the name and everything. I’m not even in contact with the other guy anymore, and have no idea how he would react to this. He said from the beginning it couldn’t be his, since he used a condom. But, it’s done now, and I guess we’ll have to wait a little bit longer before we can know for certain.
When they were finished, I got to hold my little guy, and he was adorable and perfect. He was born at 1:31 am, January 21st, weighing 6 lb. 14 oz., 20” long, with a 13.5” head. His apgars were 8 and 9, just like his brothers and sister. He was very quiet and mellow, and was ready to eat right away. It took about two days for him to perfect the latch. Before that, he just wanted to sleep, and wasn’t very interested in eating. Once he got the hang of it, he wanted to nurse every hour or two. He looks even tinier, eating from a boob that’s twice the size of his head- and my milk hasn’t even come in yet. :-S
He lost 9 oz. at the hospital, but that should stop now that he’s eating more. He’s in perfect health and so much cuter than I ever imagined.

timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

January 23rd, 2012, 10:33 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for the birth Story and more piccies! Sounds like a pretty ok labour Glad you could go without the epidural or any intervention. Well done mumma! He is just a sweet lil thing.

January 24th, 2012, 03:45 AM
marinewife0702's Avatar proud first time mama
soo cute!!! its funny that our boys were due 1 day apart and yours came on 1.21.12 and mine on 1.12.12 and their weight was exactly the same...6.14 lol.

January 24th, 2012, 04:23 AM
~Mindy~'s Avatar Full hands...Full ❤
He is adorable! Congrats JaQ, thanks for sharing your birth story!

Mindy ~ Mom to Dharma ~11
Leilani ~9
Dylan ~ 6
Malachi ~3
Delilah ~5 months

January 24th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Aww, he's a sweetie! He might have your hair. I was born with black hair, and like many babies it all fell out. I hope all of that comes out the way you want it to, but he's still precious regardless!
January 24th, 2012, 10:16 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations!
January 24th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Capns Girl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!! He's a cutie

January 24th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He is a cutie! He looks slightly skeptical in that last picture though, haha!

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
January 24th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
what a crazy birth story
but you knew when he would be born thats awesome
sorry it took longer then your other deliveries but seems like it was all worth it in the end.

I didnt think he was biracial when you posted the pics yesterday but now that you mention it he does look alittle darker then i had noticed before... either way he is going to be loved by so many people! Has Brandon seen him yet?

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
January 25th, 2012, 08:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for sharing your birth story! And Congrats on your little man! Will you be doing a DNA test to find out for sure. The last pic he looks bi-racial but not the other pics. Definitely a cutie!!!

Mommy Pam to 8 other blessings ages 16 to newborn! 5 boys and 3 girls.
For the multiples forum: I have identical twin boys who are 3.
January 27th, 2012, 11:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinewife0702 View Post
soo cute!!! its funny that our boys were due 1 day apart and yours came on 1.21.12 and mine on 1.12.12 and their weight was exactly the same...6.14 lol.
i didn't realise that, good eye! i love his birthday! was hoping my daughter would've been 04.05.06, but she missed it by a couple days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
Aww, he's a sweetie! He might have your hair. I was born with black hair, and like many babies it all fell out. I hope all of that comes out the way you want it to, but he's still precious regardless!
well, i was born with light brown hair, i think, and i do have native american ancestry. brand and i both had blonde hair as kids. but he kind of seems like he doesn't care if he's biologically the dad, and that would be just so wonderful. he's going nuts not having met baby yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready_for_BabyMcD View Post
He is a cutie! He looks slightly skeptical in that last picture though, haha!
yes, i love how there are certain "adult" expressions like that! :-D

January 27th, 2012, 11:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNiSe View Post
what a crazy birth story
I didnt think he was biracial when you posted the pics yesterday but now that you mention it he does look alittle darker then i had noticed before... either way he is going to be loved by so many people! Has Brandon seen him yet?
no, but we are working on it, and he said it's all he's thought about. so, i can't wait to get him down here. it's beyond amazing when a parent meets their child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by themorethemerrier View Post
Thanks for sharing your birth story! And Congrats on your little man! Will you be doing a DNA test to find out for sure. The last pic he looks bi-racial but not the other pics. Definitely a cutie!!!
i've got people arguing about whether he is or not, but we should be able to tell in a few weeks. the plan was always to have a dna test, but idk if we'll bother, if he starts to clearly look darker.

January 27th, 2012, 11:57 PM
thank you everyone!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search