Atticus Birth Story (w/ pics)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 4th, 2012, 04:33 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
On 1/23 I went in for an appointment and ultrasound and the doctor confirmed he still hadn't grown and in 5 weeks they estimated he had gained 1 pound up to about 5.5 pounds so the doctor decided it was time for him to come out. I was sent home to wait for L&D to cal when they had a room and nurse available. Around 5 I called them and they said to come in at 7 so I being the person who is always late got there at 7"30. They got me hooked up to the IV and started antibiotics for the GBS and Pitocin to start contractions. The plan was to break my water around 4am but doctor kept hitting snooze on his alarm clock so didn't make it in until 9. The entire time that I was just on Pitocin I didn't feel the contractions anywhere except my back which hurt like crazy and my first nurse was not willing to work with me so she kept making me lay on my back which hurt like crazy. I was about to tell her to stop the pitocin get me off the monitors and I would be back when I went into labor naturally but then a new nurse came in that was much nicer she let me stand up and sit on a ball as long as I held the monitor I was able to move around which helped a lot.

When doctor finally broke my water I was only at 2cm so he put internal monitors on so that I could do whatever I wanted without having to worry about the monitors slipping. I of course went to sit on the ball as I was not feeling any pain any more I was talking and having fun telling jokes until Atticus started having decels. I was put back in bed with oxygen they tried having me on both sides but his heart rate was dropping to 30-40 bpm so they shut off the pitocin and had me on hands and knees with my head on the bed and bum in the air which is very uncomfortable but luckily I didn't have an epi so that I coud move because it worked and I didn't end up with a c-section. His heart rate got to a point where it was only dropped sightly with contractions so they slowly turned the pitocin back on turning it up every 30 minutes or so and he tolerated it well so I took a nap.

Once contractions started picking up I was humming and singing to myself to get through them and around 9pm I gave in a got some IV pain meds but because of his decels earlier they would only give me the weakest stuff they had which took the edge off and she told me I was at 5cm. Around 11 she checked again so I could get more pain meds and I was still 5cm and that is when I lost all self control and started yelling at EVERYONE. In the course of my yelling I made the nurse turn off the pitocin, told everyone the next person to say epidural was going to get kicked, and told them to ust cut him out because I wasn't going to be in labor for another 24 hours. My nurse eventually kicked my mom and best friend out of the room so she could get me calmed down which didn't completely work out because I was still begging for a c-section until she told me they can do the epidural so I could sleep and I responded with "I can't the baby is going to fall out." with that contraction I was an 8 and the nurse had someone go get my mom and friend the next contraction I was a 9 and the next I was pushing no matter how many people told me to wait as they quickly tried to take apart the bed my mom got slapped for touching my leg and the doctor and nurse would have been slapped had it not been for their lightning fast reflexes. The next contraction they actually let me push and he was out at 12:22am on January 25th it only took about 30 minutes to go from 5 to delivered I guess I should have gotten mad sooner.

I would have caught him except I couldn't move my hands off my legs because my back hurt so bad. He was put on my chest and the doctor laid out his cord which was super long and a perfect spiral. We all played with it while waiting for it to stop pulsating it was amazing to feel the pulse knowing that it had been giving life to my baby until he came out. When it was time to cut the cord I cut it myself while holding him. He had to go to the warmer because of his size he was 4lbs 14oz and 17.5 inches. He had some slight blood sugar issues but managed to avoid the NICU then his bili was high and he lost 8% of his body weight so we were moved to pediatrics for him to have photo-therapy where I could still room with him and they could monitor his weight we were there for 48 hours before discharge.

I find him to be the most amazing tiny person I have ever met.

Also they used him in a training for NICU parents so he is a movie star!
February 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Wow that was quite a story! What a long labor, but it sounds like you stayed strong! I can't believe the doctor was 5 hours late! Congrats mama, he is just adorable.
February 4th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
LOL I wish I would have had the guts to start yelling at my mom. She didn't try to touch me, though. He is so cute and tiny! Congratulations!
February 4th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Platinum Supermommy
did they give you any reasons why he wasnt gaining weight on the inside?

he is tiny but oh so handsome!! cute little guy!!! looks happy and healthy!

oh gosh I can just picture you screaming at everyone i would probably be like that also if my labor was longer then it is lol

glad things finally started going faster at the end for you and you didnt have to get the epi or csection

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
February 4th, 2012, 05:41 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He's so cute and tiny
February 4th, 2012, 06:05 PM
n8tsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
They don't know why he stopped growing he had a perfect 3 vessel cord and the doctor actually said the placenta was bigger then he expected for a growth restricted baby. So far it seems the biggest issue he has from being small is his cheek muscles being immature make it hard for him to breastfeed which isn't a huge deal I just have to pump after every feeding and give him expressed milk in a bottle after he nurses.

February 5th, 2012, 01:40 PM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
congratulations! he's beautiful. glad the end went so quickly for you.
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

February 8th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Mega Super Mommy
so adorable, what a little man!
February 10th, 2012, 06:02 PM
jensma's Avatar Katie: mommy to Ty & Em
wow he's so tiny!! What a crazy birth story. When i was induced with tyler i went from 4-10 in an hour, so i guess these little guys just like to do things fast!! HE is precious, congrats!!

Have Faith, Expect Miracles

SHHHH!! Don't mention Pregnancy on FB please!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search