Olivia Quinlan's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 10th, 2012, 09:22 AM
ASH_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok, here's the details of Miss Olivia's debut. Mark and I had a 'sex-date' Thursday morning before Jojo woke up to help speed things along. (We did that with Jojo too and I immediately started contracting and she was born 9 hours later, lol.) This time it didn't seem like it had any effect whatsoever. So Mark went into work and I went about my normal day. I was having irregular, non-painful contractions all day on Thursday, but nothing to be concerned about since I'd been having those all week long. I started spotting a little that evening though, and then the contractions got slightly more close, anywhere from 20-15 minutes apart. They told me to call the hospital when they were 5 minutes apart. So I waited. And waited to call. Of course by this time it was 10:00 at night, and after hours, so I had to call the hospital operator, leave a message with her, and then wait for the on-call OB to call me back. Ugh. So they were actually 6 min. apart when I finally decided to go ahead and call in. By the time we got into our van - maybe 20 minutes later - they were already 3 minutes apart! By the time we got to the hospital, they were right on top of each other. They triaged me (was already at 8 cm when they finally checked me) while Mark took Jojo downstairs to meet up with the husband of my friend that was going to watch her for us while we were in the hospital. It seemed like it took FOREVER for him to get back up to my room, but really only like 20 minutes or so. The whole night was kind of a comedy of errors - the first nurse trying to get my IV in wouldn't listen to me when I said my right arm has better veins. She proceeded to blow out two veins in my left arm. Then the next nurse tried in my right arm to get in the IV - she wasn't prepared and asked MARK to help her with stuff - like move this chair here so I can use it as a table, help me open this STERILE package, blah blah. She got the IV in, but blood was squirting everywhere because she didn't have the stopper on. Then she had to look around for the stopper cause she couldn't remember where she put it. Crazy. I'm begging, pleading for the anesthesiologist because I was so worried I wasn't going to get the epidural in time. He was the only one on call that night, and he was stuck up in another room with another lady (I wasn't the only one that night to not be given the epidural!). He finally came in the room, started going through his schpeel of risk factors and what he's going to do during the procedure - I could care less I just wanted him to stick me already! Mark and a nurse were helping me spin to the side of the bed, when my water burst - literally BURST out of me and across the room during a contraction. Then they tried to move me again to the edge of the bed for the epidural, and my body just started pushing. Scared the crap out of me! (not literally, lol). I yelled, "I'm pushing!" and the epidural guy left the room and everyone came rushing in. Mark tells me in my ear that this is the hardest thing I'm ever going to have to do, but I have to do it. (thanks hun!) I kept my eyes closed almost the whole time - tried to focus on where the pain was coming from and pushing it out of my body (I have to say, I owe my getting through this ordeal to countless hours of watching Baby Story and other such programs on TLC - I know nothing about natural birth except for in those stories, so breathing through the pain, pushing out the pain, etc - I owe it all to them! lol). I've never screamed and grunted so much in my life, and I'm pretty sure I yelled at Olivia to 'get out of me!' at least once. I pushed for 12 minutes, and then it was all over. I have never ever wanted a natural birth, and now that I've had one, I never want one again, haha. But it was definitely worth the outcome. Olivia is pretty calm so far, but she does have a good set of lungs and knows how to use them. She's a bit more darker skinned than Jojo was, has more hair too than even Jojo does now, lol. But she looks a lot like her when she was born too. It's kind of weird and amazing all at once. Jojo is pretty oblivious about Olivia right now. Jojo is not a very gentle child, so we have to constantly watch her when she's around Livy. Livy is a very "sucky" baby, and if she's not asleep you better have her pacifier in her mouth for her or you'll hear about it, lol. But she's a very good baby, good eater, and good sleeper - for now. Here are some pics:

Olivia Quinlan, born 2/3 at 12:38 am, 7 lbs 7.4 oz., 20" long

Last edited by ASH_M; February 10th, 2012 at 11:53 AM.
February 10th, 2012, 11:29 AM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!!! Good on you for pushing through the pain, isn't it such a relief when they come slithering out! Yay for you. She is a very pretty baby, just gorgeous

February 10th, 2012, 11:58 AM
justjaQ's Avatar Platinum Super Mommy
awww, congratulations!!
i'm sorry you didn't get the epidural in time. i've never wanted natural births either, but i got two of them. you did great!!
timothy michael, august 31, 2003, 12:02pm, 8 lb. 4 oz., 21"- 38 wks.
melissa may, april 7, 2006, 1:31pm, 7 lb. 10.5 oz., 19.5"- 36.5 wks
nicholas michael, january 31, 2010, 5:12pm, 5 lb. 11 oz., 18.25"- 37.1 wks
damon michael, january 21, 2012, 1:31am, 6 lb. 14 oz., 20", 38 wks
rainbow baby left me at 6-1/2 weeks on 09.08.12~ never forgotten, sweet child

February 10th, 2012, 04:00 PM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story! Congrats!

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

February 10th, 2012, 04:53 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Nice work mama! Congrats on a beautiful little girl.
February 10th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Your birth story kind of scares me! lol I never want to feel another contraction ever. She is gorgeous! And she does look exactly like her sister. From your siggy I almost think they're the same child. Congratulations!

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
February 11th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What a fast ordeal! When your body is ready to push there is no stopping it! Shes gorgeous and you are strong congrats
February 11th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Platinum Supermommy
yay for a quick delivery

I didnt even think they would try and give you the epi since you were already 8cm when you got the hospital ( I was 8cm with my 1st and they said right away no time for pain meds for you )

she is beautiful and congrats again!!!

I cant get Hailey to take a paci yet

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search