Ellie's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2012, 04:31 PM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Friday, Feb. 3rd my water broke at 1:05pm. Daddy was at drill (national guard duty) so mommy called our friend Tiara to come get me. I called my sister because I was in complete shock that my water actually broke. I eventually got off the phone with her and she called my mom to get on a plane and fly into town.

When my water did break I was lucky enough to not have the start of contractions. When we first arrived at the hospital they wanted to make sure that my water did break before admitting me. Guess my soaked underwear and pants left at home would have been sign enough but soon enough they did confirm that my water did break.

While I was being admitted daddy was driving home to change out of uniform and to put the carseat in the car. I had planned on putting it in the car that weekend but plans change. While being admitted the doctor checked me and I was 90% effaced and 3cm dilated. I made them wait to give me pitocin or anything (still no contractions at this point around 3pm) until daddy at least got there. At around 6pm they started pitocin and I quickly asked for an epidural.

At this point daddy went back home to feed the dogs for the evening. My mom was finally getting on a plane. While being checked before the epidural the nurse noticed that there was still a bag of water on Ellie's head. We were inbetween doctor's on the floor and I said not to bother with them since neither one of them was around and we'd take care of it when the next doctor arrived on the floor.

After getting my epidural (around 8pm) the nurse was putting my catheter in. When my bladder was relieved my blood pressure dropped, baby's heartrate dropped and I was feeling nauseous. I was given oxygen and was turning from side to side to get heartrate up on Ellie. Once Ellie and I were stablized the nurse checked me and determined that I was ready to push. Pitocin was stopped.

Tiara quickly called daddy to hurry back to the hospital because we were ready to bring Ellie into the world. I also had her call my mom to leave a message saying we were ready to push. Then the doctor came in and determined that I still had one more cm to go to be ready. The pitocin was restarted for that last cm.

After yet a couple of hours later (not sure exactly, I was sleeping a little bit inbetween), daddy and my mom were in the room and I felt the need to push. The nurse checked me and I was only a 9 1/2 cm dilated. Only had to wait 10 more minutes before I had her check again and I was fully dilated.

Around 12:15am I started pushing. Started doing 3 pushes per set for ever how long I could hold my breath. I pushed for a good 45 minutes before the nurse told me to stop pushing the doctor needs to be here. I then started to argue with her about not wanting to stop, the need to push and why is she making me stop. It was quite comical.

The nurses and the doctor are working inbetween pushes to get ready for baby and people around me are taking guesstimates on when baby will arrive while I'm focusing on the pain and need to push. Ellie came out before the doctor had on her second glove, clearly they weren't really that ready for me to push her out. LOL.

Ellie Joanne arrived at 1:03am, 7lbs 1oz, 19 1/2 inches long. My mom cut the umbilical cord and I was able to hold her right when she arrived. When she got cleaned up a little bit daddy held her for about an hour and feel head over heels for his little daughter. Daddy was suppose to help with her first bath but he fell asleep before the lady came in to help out. So Tiara took pictures for us instead.

this might be a novel but I don't want to forget anything
February 16th, 2012, 04:45 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great birth story. Well done and COngrats! She is beautiful!

February 17th, 2012, 12:36 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
What's it like when your water breaks? (Never had that happen.)

Scary epidural experience, but it all worked out. I've had to have oxygen from that same idea before. That scared me cuz they didn't even tell me they just put it on me and all the sudden somebody covers your mouth and nose with something it freaks you out, but of course since it is OXYGEN I quickly realized I was freaking for no reason.

So how long was pushing total, about an hour?

Congrats again

February 17th, 2012, 08:43 AM
katylady's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
my water breaking felt like a the tub plug was lifted and the water started draining. LOL.

the experience was a little unnerving but my friend Tiara is a RN and was helping my nurse so I always had a nurse around even though she isn't an ob or l&d nurse. Never even had to do a rotation during her schooling but I was always felt reassured when I was discussing my thoughts/wants/fears with everything going on. I really really didn't want pitocin.

Yup a good hour of pushing and she came right out!
February 17th, 2012, 02:05 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Sound like a great experience, glad your mom and DH made it before she came out!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search