Winter Rose (pics)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By Spyctre

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I had an elective induction scheduled for Valentine's Day , about 4 days shy of my due date. I went in at 5:15 that morning, and I was already 2 cm. Within minutes of the pit drip being started, I started having good contractions. I asked for the epi very soon after to be able to not have to feel the REAL pain after they broke my water.

This is where the epidural nightmare started. It's a whole other story, but let me just say that out of the two anesthesiologists that I got, I had my least favorite doing my epidural. I was already passing out from some phenergan in my IV so I didn't really notice that my legs were NOT getting any kind of heavy. Woke up 30 minutes later in full blown labor.

Anesthesiologist comes back, shoves more medicine into me, decides he needs a redo. "This is very unusual. There is no indication it is not working... You seem stoic enough."

"Dude, I've broken bones without making a peep. There's another. Check the monitor. Actually, you know what? I don't see this going good places. Where's my doctor? I think I need that cesarean."

So he takes off the bandage. My back feels like it was just waxed. Redoes the epidural. Both legs get heavy, pain vanishes. A nurse comes in a few minutes later and makes the brilliant suggestion that I need to be on my left side. Roll over, all of the sudden I hardly feel my left side, but I am definitely feeling my right! "Epidural failed. Can you call the guy back? No really. There's one, check the monitor! No, not pressure. It's a sharp pain. Yes, it really hurts..."

Anesthesiologist comes back. "Roll to your right for a bit. Here's more medicine... Tell me if you feel the next one. OK... Do you feel the next one? Was it better? No? How about this one? OK, sit up." Rips off the bandage, starts poking me again.

My legs go completely numb at this point, so much that I can't move them. But guess what wasn't numb? All of my privates and uterus. I convinced myself this was just the "pressure" they said wouldn't disappear. Only this pressure is getting worse and achy and sharp. Numbness in my legs quickly wore off. I keep calling the nurse complaining about pressure. "Let's go, the kid's ready!"

So the third time I complain about the pressure they go ahead and set up the room. "She's still pretty high, Arwen, you might have to work to get her down." One push later she was entering the birth canal, and I decided I needed some morphine. The doctor didn't think I was feeling pain. She thought I was misunderstanding pressure. Holy crap. How do women want to do this more than once naturally?

Got to feel everything you read about, ring of fire, etc. Felt the head emerge, felt the body slither out, and I screamed my head off the entire time. Everyone kept telling me I was "doing so good! Pushpushpushpushpush! There she is! Awww! A double chin!"

I told them to clean her up, "James, don't you dare take a picture of her covered in gore," (too late...)

I was sitting up for the birth, like almost in a squat position. This position does not make it easier to give birth IMHO! Since I was sitting up, I got to watch my doctor work on me. Placenta didn't want to come out so she was mashing on me. Ow. I asked to see it when she was done, and she promised I could. She decided to leave it for a while since it was stubborn, and got to cleaning me up. Felt like a snake dangling out my vajayjay.

I see her reach for the stitches. "Aww, dang, I need stitches?! Can I have a shot of something first?" At this point, they still don't understand that I was feeling pain so when she started, she said, "Oh, you're feeling the stitches. That epidural really did wear off! This isn't bad, just a second degree tear." A nurse asked where. "In the vagina."

"Really?!"

"It's not bad."

Just 7 stitches. I counted. Then she cleans up more, reaches for the needle and thread again. "Finishing up?"

"No... there's a small tear on the labia. Not even a tear, just an abrasion."

"How did THAT rip?!"

"lol It's not bad."

Just another 3 stitches. I counted! Cleans more, reaches for the stitches AGAIN. "REALLY?!" Just 1 stitch this time. Ouch. More mashing on my tummy. Ouch! One big contraction, placenta thumps out looking like a piece of raw liver stuck to a bag. "Gross!!! Oh, the bag part is at least prettier. I like that Winter had the room with the view." Then I kid you not, my doctor fisted me. "Holy crap, what are you doing?"

"Getting the clots out. All done!" Thumps an ice pack down. "She's so beautiful! Congratulations! I love her double chin! I saw it as soon as she came out. You did so good!" (She must not have been in the same room I delivered in...lol) More pleasantries were exchanged, and they all cleared out to let us do bonding.

"Honey, I never thought my doctor would fist me before we got far enough into our marriage to experiment."

"I saw your vagina. It looks like a massacre. I thought you were going to go super saiyan."

"Me, too! I thought for sure I'd come out of this blonde with a monkey tail! My hands are completely numb. Can you put her face to my boob for me?"

My hands had swollen up so badly during labor. I couldn't touch the sides of my fingertips to each other. Everything was swollen. I'm still peeing like a pregnant woman because I am getting rid of swelling. lol I walked myself to my recovery room. Bonding with her is a lot slower than with Alice. She's doing great with nursing, though. She hates diaper changes and baths. I got a bathtub in the room! Took a bath about 5 minutes of walking myself in there.

Name: Winter Rose
DOB: 2/14/12
Time: 6:42 P.M.
Length: 20"
Weight: 7 lbs 13 oz
Head: 13.75"
Scores: 9 & 9
Blood Type: O- (poor baby has that Rh factor to deal with!)

Nurses and orderlies kept coming by because they were talking about her being "so pretty." I still see a little old man kinda resembling my FIL. lol My anesthesiologist didn't know the final epi failed. He came by talking about "hearing me being nice and comfortable finally." lol I told him he did nothing wrong. My epidural failed with my daughter as well. Took for about 45 minutes and wore off. I now know that it didn't COMPLETELY wear off before delivery. I can definitely tell the difference of those two births. lol

If you actually managed to hang in through this whole thing, thanks for reading!

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com

Last edited by Spyctre; February 17th, 2012 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Forgot to put the time of birth =)
February 17th, 2012, 07:31 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Quote:
If you actually managed to hang in through this whole thing, thanks for reading!
Are you kidding me? Best birth story ever! Very entertaining. You are a trooper!
February 17th, 2012, 07:54 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
totally entertaining!!! Love it. Winter is very pretty sorry the epi didn't exactly work! You did it and she is perfect well done mum!

February 17th, 2012, 08:06 PM
momtomonkeys's Avatar Super Mommy
Good job! Congrats on Baby Winter.
February 17th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Thanks, y'all! I hope I don't freak any first timers out with all this. My doc told me that the epidural problem needed to be known to any future surgeons or anesthesiologists. Apparently that's a problem with me. lol

February 18th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Super Mommy
Popping in from the September DDC. This is so thoroughly entertaining! And she's so beautiful!

And, yes, you did freak the crap out of me. O.o

February 19th, 2012, 12:45 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
LOL Sorry! I actually don't do well with narcotics in general. Morphine is my narcotic of choice, but they weren't going for that. Others make me sick or just don't work. It is pretty unusual. I can almost promise you won't have these problems.
CaliMommy likes this.

February 21st, 2012, 03:54 PM
Coby Jaylen Aubriya mom
Congrats! I also had 2 failed epis ouch
February 26th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Arwen - I'm just lurking from the August DDC but as we know each other from past Love & Sex and Arts & Crafts posting I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS and that story is told in only the way you can tell it! I REALLY wanted to avoid an epi with this baby and after reading your story I want to avoid even more! Love her name mama!

February 26th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Cute cute!! Congrats!! Sorry about the failed EPI!
February 26th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Valkyrie View Post
Arwen - I'm just lurking from the August DDC but as we know each other from past Love & Sex and Arts & Crafts posting I just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS and that story is told in only the way you can tell it! I REALLY wanted to avoid an epi with this baby and after reading your story I want to avoid even more! Love her name mama!
lol If I ever miraculously got pregnant again, I would want to be cut open for sure!

February 26th, 2012, 01:36 PM
mamabear4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
april ddc lurker. love this sstory especially the references to dragonball z lol! i call my unborn daughter the princess of all super saiyans!! congrats on a beautiful daughter and making it thru childbirth!
February 26th, 2012, 02:58 PM
newmommysarah's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hi im just visiting from the august ddc and i have to say a massive well done! and omg i almost pmsl when u said your doctor fisted you lol.

...and baby number 2
February 26th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamabear4 View Post
april ddc lurker. love this sstory especially the references to dragonball z lol! i call my unborn daughter the princess of all super saiyans!! congrats on a beautiful daughter and making it thru childbirth!
lol I am really glad someone knows DBZ! I actually told hubby I was surprised I did not go SSJ3, but I figured people would get it even less.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search