David's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 18th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Kitusne's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry this is so long, but so was labor...

I ate two eggs mid day Feb 7, and had horrible indigestion as a result. Honestly, I did suspect it was my body getting ready for labor, but hoped it wasn't since it kept me awake all night. I had a few contractions that night that felt very different from braxton hicks, but assume it was due to the indigestion.

The next day, Feb 8, I just didn't feel right. I wanted to be home, and away from people. At 8PM I was exhausted and went to bed. The contractions started as soon as my head hit the pillow, but there not very strong. I called my SO saying they were 10 min apart, and just didn't feel "right". They got progressively stronger but still 10 min apart till 5AM, where they dropped to 8 min apart. I live alone, so at this point is was getting a little scared and the back labor was really painful. I called my doula, and she arrived at 8AM

I checked my own cervix throughout the night and day, and to my dismay felt very little change over the several hours I had been having contractions. The midwife came in the early afternoon and said "you've been checking your own cervix? you can feel it?" I said I would, and she asked me to check for it. I was shocked to find the cervix was so far posterior I could barely feel it while squatting. I finally was able to feel it was still only 2cm...

The mid wife left and the doula and I continued through the day. By early evening I was an emotional wreck due to lack of food, sleep, or progression. I called the OB, and he came over and stretched my cervix to 6cm and broke my water.. The hours continued to pass, and I remained at 6cm, with back labor and a posterior cervix. Finally by late evening the contractions were 3 min apart and the OB and midwife came back and set up the birthing pool.

I sat in the water for over two hours. By now the contractions are horrible due to the back labor, and my ability to cope with the pain was declining with every contraction. At 4AM the OB checked me again, and said I was still only at 6cm, and I needed to get out of the water and try walking around a bit. By now I had no control over my reaction to the contractions. The news of lack of progression was more than I was able to cope with, and I requested to be taken to the ER.

Interestingly I dilated to 9cm in the car on the way to the hospital. If only I had known a car ride would do the trick... I got the epi, and was allowed to sleep while we waited for the last cm. Thank god I was able to sleep as David turned his head from transverse to anterior. At 10AM I was told the epi slowed my contractions, and was given a very small amount of pit to get things moving again. At 11AM it was time to push, and an hour later at 11:59AM, Feb 10 David was born 6 pounds and 19 inches, and not sunny side up..

That was the longest two days of my life, but I'm so thankful things turned out as well as they did. David is so beautiful, and more than worth every second of it.
February 18th, 2012, 02:58 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
What a long labor! Sorry you couldn't deliver at home, but so happy he made it here safely!
February 18th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Wow, that's a long time to labor. I tried to check my cervix and never could. lol OB had problems with that my entire labor. I'm glad you were able to get a bit of relief and everything ended pretty well. I'm sorry you didn't get the birth you wanted, though.

Congratulations!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search