The arrival of Cooper James (very long/pics inside)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 23rd, 2012, 08:02 PM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
As many of you know, Cooper was due on my birthday, February 22. I had mixed emotions on whether I wanted him to come that day. While I loved the idea of him being my 30th birthday present, I also thought he should have his own day. Apparently he agreed. Sunday we had such a nice day. After breakfast we went for a hike and to the grocery store to stock up, just in case. We went to see my Grandma, who had mentioned she'd like to see me pregnant one more time before I had Cooper. We had a very nice visit with her and I was able to show her my maternity pics on my iPad. Then we went to MILs for my birthday dinner and watched The Help. During the movie I just couldn't get comfortable. Went home and went to bed. Around 11 I started having contractions and bloody show. They weren't very regular but they were intense, so I took a shower just in case. I managed to fall asleep from about 1-2. At 3 the contractions were 5 minutes apart, so I started timing them. After a solid hour of timeable contractions I woke DH up and called the doctor, who told me to come in. I packed the rest of my things and DH made himself some eggs (lol). We headed to the hospital at 4:15.

They admitted me to triage, but felt I was probably just in early labor and thought about sending me home. However my BP was high so they ended up admitting me and started me on Pitocin. I am so glad they admitted me because if I went home, I wasn't sure at what point to come back, the contractions were pretty intense. I started crying knowing he was coming today.

Me in triage:

Once we got into our room (which amazingly enough was room 222...my lucky number and birthday, this made me cry again), we called our parents to let them know Cooper was on his way. By this time it was shortly before 8. The nurse immediately asked if I was ready for my epidural, which surprised me because I thought I had to be dilated a certain amount, and at this point I was only around a 2. I said heck yeah. I got the epi and immediately felt great. While I'm sure a natural childbirth is amazing, the epidural was absolute heaven.

Our parents showed up and the party started. It was surreal to be in labor and in absolutely no pain. A doctor came in to break my water, and I was curious to see what that would feel like. Apparently I had already felt it though, my water had already broken. While in triage, every time I contracted I felt water coming out of me, and I told DH I thought my water had broken, but expected a much larger gush. Good thing they didn't decide to send me home. Suddenly the fun was sucked out of the day though, as Cooper's heart rate was dropping with each contraction and the doctor got nervous. He said their might be a chance of a csection, and I started to cry, this time they weren't happy tears. They nurse had me sign paperwork allowing the surgery. DH was in the cafeteria having lunch with mom at the time, and as soon as he came back I broke the news. I tried to look at the positive though, and came to terms with it. My doctor was so amazing. He said he didn't want me to have a section either, and he would keep monitoring things until he felt there was a necessity to rush me into surgery.

I labored on, and although I progressed to 7-8 very quickly, my body was at a standstill. My doctor mentioned the c word yet again, but said he was willing to give it another hour. The nurse decided to put me in what she called the "magic position", a position midwives use to help patients fully dilate. She said it would either get me to 10 quickly, or a section was imminent. It was the most awkward position (even made me fart loudly in front of my family, but hey, my entire lower half was numb), but wouldn't you know it worked. The next time the doctor came in he said I was ready to go. DH asked when I could start pushing, and he said next contraction. Woo hoo!

I pushed for an hour and half. They asked if I wanted a mirror to look, and I said heck yeah. I figured they would hand me a small mirror, but nope, they wheeled in a monstrosity of a mirror. It was nice though, being able to see the progression made me work that much harder. They asked if we wanted to know they hair color, and DH said please don't let him be a redhead, and to his relief they said he had dark brown hair.

One of the things I was worried about was being on the epi, I wouldn't be able to effectively push. That totally wasn't the case, they were amazed at how well I was pushing. I just wanted to get him out quickly and meet him! The doctor was really afraid the cord was wrapped around his neck, and that's why his heart rate kept dropping. So once he started to come out, he kept telling me to push then stop. Although I couldn't really feel any pain, I sure felt the pressure of that. The doctor also told me I probably wouldn't tear, unfortunately that wasn't the case. They spent about 45 minutes stitching me as soon as he came out.

He finally told me to push him out and they immediately laid him on my chest. DH cut the cord, which shocked me, because he thought he wouldn't be able to. My mom was his backup just in case. My mom warned me that sometimes you don't feel an immediate bond with your baby, but that certainly wasn't the case. Although he looked nothing like I had pictured over the past 9 months, he was so perfect and beautiful. I was immediately in love. Cooper made his arrival at 5:43pm. He was 6lb 3.5oz and 21".

My beautiful baby boy:

Resting in recovery:

Proud Daddy:

Ready to go home:

The two days at the hospital breezed by and we finally came home with our bundle of joy. I was so worried about being overwhelmed once we got home, but I love being a mother. He has been breast feeding relatively well, with the last few feedings being the exception. For whatever reason he screams as soon as he tries to latch, or doesn't try at all. He might be frustrated that my milk hasn't come in yet, but I have a feeling I'm just about there.

Home napping with Daddy:

I ended up very swollen and with lots of interior stitches, which hurt like heck. I'm on pain meds every 3 hours and have an ice pack shoved down my pants at all times. I was really worried about my first poop, rightfully so. It happened about 2 hours ago, and luckily my SIL gave me a tip which sounds totally gross, but was absolutely necessary...I pooped in the tub. I tried to go on the toilet, but it was so painful and basically got stuck. That might have been worse than actually giving birth!

Sorry this was so long and I'm sure I forgot many things, but the bottom line is he's here, perfectly healthy, and I love him more than anything!

Last edited by JTsquared; February 24th, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
February 24th, 2012, 09:44 AM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good job Mama! Glad you were able to avoid a C-section! And yes, he'll probably latch/feed a lot better when your milk is fully in.

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

February 24th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
glad you were able to avoid the csection but ouch sounds pain that you tore and had to get so mayn stitches

you did great tho mama! and he is so handsome & tiny!!!

hope you start feeling better soon

great story and love the pictures!

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!
February 24th, 2012, 05:30 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great story! Congrats again mumma! He is adorable. Hope you start to heal soon, you sound as sore as I was with Lara. The ice packs are great aren't they!!!!

February 24th, 2012, 07:26 PM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Love the story and pictures, he's adorable.
February 26th, 2012, 05:00 PM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
what a beautiful birth story. congrats on your new bundle of joy. he is adorable! someone did a great job capturing the sleeping moment w/ you and baby. love that pic! (p.s. did you really poop in the tub? lol)
February 26th, 2012, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarha81 View Post
what a beautiful birth story. congrats on your new bundle of joy. he is adorable! someone did a great job capturing the sleeping moment w/ you and baby. love that pic! (p.s. did you really poop in the tub? lol)
Thanks Sarah! DH took that picture, he loves it too. And yes, I really pooped in the tub. It was one of the most painful experiences ever! I am still on pain killers though, they stop you up. I had to take miralax to get things moving.
March 4th, 2012, 11:00 AM
Veteran
Wow!! Congratulations..so happy for you...I was waiting for your story..and I just thought I'd check and see and there it was!! Great Job! Beautifull baby..happy for you
March 4th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Great birth story, and I love all the pictures. =D The one of him sleeping with you is so cute!
March 4th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
The one of him sleeping with you is so cute!
DH just told me his best friend has that pic as the wallpaper on his computer. Flattering or creepy? Not sure what to think of that...lol.
March 4th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTsquared View Post
DH just told me his best friend has that pic as the wallpaper on his computer. Flattering or creepy? Not sure what to think of that...lol.
Maybe he thinks of you as a friend, too? My first thought is just "kinda strange." lol
August 6th, 2012, 09:39 PM
QueenBee_2012's Avatar Regular
I'm new to JM but I just so happen to open this thread and opened your story. I just wanted to say that my birthday is also on 2/22, 22 is my favorite number, and my original edd was 2/22. I had my son on 2/21, at the age of 30. I also wanted him to come on my b-day, but was glad he came on his own special day!

Your birth story is beautiful and so is your family. =)
August 8th, 2012, 04:48 PM
No way! That's awesome. Congrats on your little one.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search