Liam Ryan's birth story-pictures added

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2012, 06:35 PM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The plan was for us to do an amnio on the 7th of Februrary and then deliver on the 8th or 9th....well the test came back that his lungs would not be ready until at least the 17th.....so our new c/s date was the 17th.

Got up extra early the morning of the 17th so I could shave my legs and put on my face prior to going to the hospital (records reflect that even with my previous scheduled c/s's....I still looked like I had a long rough labor...).

We got to the hospital at 5:00am and immediately went up to L&D. It was a very slow morning in there because all 3 nurses came to help take care of me. I had one asking medical history questions, one putting in my I.V. and one hooking me up to the monitors. To my surprise (and my OB's), I was actually contracting pretty regularly - I couldn't feel a thing!!

7:30 I'm wheeled into the O.R and prepped for my c/s....got my spinal (I hate that needle in my back...that was the worst part). The spinal made me feel like I was floating in water...so that is what I pretended I was doing to keep my mind off of what was actually happening (I could smell the burning flesh - OB said she was burning the blood vessles to keep me from bleeding to death). She told me not to worry that she was taking her time because I had a lot of scar tissue. Apparently my uterus was attached to not only muscle, but to my bladder. Other then that...my c/s was pretty uneventful.

Liam was born at 8:06am and immediatly taken to another room right off the side of the O.R. I heard him cry and then I asked DH what was going on. He said he didn't know because they took the baby to the other room, so I sent him to go be with the baby.

The anastesiologist gave me something to help me *relax* so I'm not sure how much time went by. Dh came out, showed me the baby and told me he was having a hard time breathing so he was going to the nursery.

I went to recovery and the babies nurse came out to talk to me. They told me that he was having a hard time breathing, but that his lungs were clear.....they think he will be ok, but he's going to be on oxygen for at least 4 hours......because it was only at 30%, they didn't feel they needed to transfer him to the NICU.....yet. They had to give him an I.V, with sugar because his blood sugar was too low (which is what was causing his breathing issues), they also gave him antibiotics as standard procedure.

After the 4 hours, I sent DH to check on him again and he said they were in the process of getting him ready to be transfered to the NICU (different hospital about 45 minutes away from where I was), but that with in the span of 10 minutes his blood oxygen level went up to 99% and stayed there, so they didn't transfer him (Answered prayers!!!).

Around 4:30 that afternoon, he was finally able to leave the nursery and come to my room. He was still on his I.V, and his monitors, but at least he was in the room with me and I was able to hold him. I started to nurse him right away (because I wanted to and because the nurse said he needs to feed to keep his sugars up). The first night he had to have his blood checked every 2 hours - that was rough because it's not just a prick like we would do...they actually lanced his little heel. By the time we left the hospital his little foot was so bruised. I actually complated on Sunday regarding the blood testing because once we started nursing, his numbers had continuoulsy gone up and stayed up in the proper levels. Sunday night, they stopped checking him! And...he finally pooped!! I must not have changed those first poopy diapers with my other three, because what I saw in his britches.....I'm sure I'd have remembered that!!! From that point on, he's pooped after every feeding.....we are just finally starting to get consistant yellow BF poops.

My recovery with this C/S was by far my easiest!! I'm not sure what my OB did different, but she is a ROCK STAR!! I can say that I did not have any pain....soreness yes...but pain no. I had my cath taken out on Friday night and was able to get out of bed (and use the restroom) 100% on my own....was able to walk easily and all (still sore though).

Friday night I started to get a head ache......took my pain meds as recommended by my nurse whether I felt like them or not (she said it's easier to stay on top of pain, rather then try to catch up on pain)....but they didn't touch my head ache. On Saturday morning the anastesiologis came in and it was determined that I had a spinal headache. I'd had the itches with my previous spinal, so I was prepared for that....but the headache was bruttal. The only thing that made it go away was to lay flat on my back.....it would instantly go away. We were going to do a spinal patch, but I was told that I couldn't hold the baby or bend over for 3 days....I knew that wasn't going to happen, so I opted for the caffeine I.V instead (who knew they had those?!?). It worked. He told me if I needed to come back for another one, I could come back - but I didn't need to....the first one did the trick. With no treatment, the headache would go away on it's own in about a week....but with 3 other kids at home...laying flat on my back for long periods of time just wasn't going to be an option.

Liam was circumsized on Monday and then we were discharged at 5:00pm. So far so good....my milk came on on Saturday so we've been good on the BFing.

I forgot how painful the first 2 weeks are.....between the cracked nipples and the engorgement....many times I've thought......why am I doing this again?!? No wonder so many women give up after a few days....it hurts!! We are at that point now....where I brace myself for the initial latch on, but after about 30 seconds....we are good to go.....about another week or so and I should have leather nipples

I've been sleeping down stairs in the recliner (even though I can get up, I can't get up from laying down flat yet with out making a big ta-do) with the pack n play next to me.....though I've been sleeping with Liam in my lap

He eats every 2.5 hours for the most part....a few times he's gone almost 3.5 hours....but the norm for us right now is every 2-2.5 hours.

Liam was 7lbs 9oz at birth and left the hospital at 6lbs 13oz. He is my smalled baby and my first to actually leave the hospital in newborn diapers. We actually had to go buy newborn diapers (all I had at home were size 1's) and newborn clothing. All my 0-3 months clothings he is swimming in!!

He had his first appointment on Wednesday for a weight check and he had to have his biliruben checked because he was yellow.....numbers came back on the normal/high side, but we were told to just keep feeding him and to put him in indirect sunlight....so we've been parked in front of the window. His next appointment will be his 2 week appointment.

*Sigh* I am simply in love with him!!!
Getting ready for delivery

Liam's very first picture

One day old

He was born at 8:06am

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14

Last edited by RhiettaP; February 26th, 2012 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Updated with pictures
February 24th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Super Mommy
Sorry it was such a rough start!! But it sounds like he is doing well being home with you. Both of my sons never made it 2 and a half hours between feeds- sounds like you are doing awesome with that!!!
February 24th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is great!! yay Liam!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!
February 25th, 2012, 07:22 AM
mythreesons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad to hear he is home and healthy! Congratulations!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my wonderful siggy!

Me: Kristine

February 25th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Congrats!
February 25th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Dan's wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats!!

February 25th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations!! So glad your c section went so smoothly and Liam was a rockstar

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w.../ryderlee1.gif
February 25th, 2012, 05:17 PM
Dizzi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad everything went so smoothly with your c-section! And woot! I'd like a caffeine IV please Just have them delivered to the house every morning, I'll hook myself up!

I'm glad you're not having to do treatments for jaundice, hopefully the indirect sunlight will do the trick!

That's AWESOME news about the breastfeeding!! Yay mommy and Liam!

February 26th, 2012, 06:38 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congrats and welcome to the world Liam! I'm glad he is doing well. I was thinking the same thing a out the caffeine drip. I could totally use one of those!

February 26th, 2012, 11:02 PM
pixiedust012404's Avatar Lovin my baby girl
Congrats!! Love the pictures!

thank you jaidynsmum for my siggie!

February 27th, 2012, 12:35 PM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!!!

Did you do those photos??? They are gorgeous!

How did you do the clock one? Is it an actual clock or is it something you can do in photoshop? Same question on the black background. I want to do some cute cute stuff like that!!!

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
February 29th, 2012, 06:44 AM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes I did do them myself....except of the two in the or:-) with the clock......its a real clock....its a huge one that I bought at target......its laying flat on the ground and I just stood ov er him to snap the picture...he is wraped (I can't swaddle to save my life) in cheese cloth (found in the walmart fab ric dept........I just moved the arms to the time he was born.

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
February 29th, 2012, 07:58 AM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindr0p2433 View Post
Yes I did do them myself....except of the two in the or:-) with the clock......its a real clock....its a huge one that I bought at target......its laying flat on the ground and I just stood ov er him to snap the picture...he is wraped (I can't swaddle to save my life) in cheese cloth (found in the walmart fab ric dept........I just moved the arms to the time he was born.
It's an amazing shot! I love it!

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search