My natural birth of Jake that ended with a c section

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2012, 09:42 AM
sarha81's Avatar First-time Mommy to Jake
Labor 17 hours!
Name: Jacob "Jake" Raffaele
TTC: THREE YEARS!!!!

The day before my scheduled induction, I woke up at 3 a.m. Feb. 28 with strong contractions every 6 minutes. I went into the bath and noticed a gush of fluid with every contractions. My OBGYN office said to head to the hospital. The car ride wasn't too too bad. The cramps were like awful menstrual pains.

We got to the hospital at 5 a.m. I was bleeding and gushing goo down there. The triage nurse said my water had broken and I was contracting every 5 minutes. I was admitted. I asked for a hep lock and told them my wish for no pain medication. The nurses were totally supportive.

By 7 a.m., the doc on call came in and said I was 4 centimeters. I asked to go in the spa tub and it was the most wonderful thing ever. The feeling of the jets on my legs took away most of the worst pains. I had my iPad on with my relaxation songs and was doing yoga breathing.

By 10 a.m., I was back in the room, laboring standing up, squatting, whatever I felt like. My midwife arrived and asked if it was ok to hang out in my room. We said sure. She massaged me through my pains and was just totally supportive. My mom came and they brought her in the room to say hello. Well, i lost all my strength and broke down sobbing during a contraction, so I asked her to wait outside. and then I was fine again.

By noon, I was laboring in the shower and hubby went to eat lunch. The pain was an 8 out of 10. i was gripping the walls and moaning during the pains. An epidural starting sounding very good.

Between 2-3 p.m. I was falling apart. The pains were unbearable. I was contracting every 3-4 minutes. I really want an epi. The midwife checked me and I was at 7 centimeters. TRANSITION! I knew of it and knew this is when most women asked for an epi. The midwife said soon I would be pushing and told me not to get the epi. I agreed to try pushing without the epi when the midwife told my husband, "He'll be here in an hour." (boy was she WRONG, lol)

back in bed, at 3:30 p.m., I was 9 c.m. with a small lip. i pushed and pushed. I never felt any pressure to push. I felt pain and swelling in my pelvic area. i really wanted that urge to push him out, but it never came.

At 4 p.m., my contractions spaced out and I was falling asleep for 2 seconds between pushing. They started me on pitocin to try to get me going again. The midwife kept pushing her fingers in me and stretching me. OUCH. I hated that. She massaged me with mineral oils and told me she could feel the head but couldn't see it yet. I used the squat bar. I kneeled. I laid flat. Nothing worked. I started to think the midwife was lying. He wasn't coming. I was fully dilated. I just was shutting down.

Around 6 p.m. I started saying, "Please, please make it stop. Please, the pain is too much." The midwife called the OBGYN in and he had me try some positions and he had his hands in me. No luck. Meanwhile I was pooping and gushing all kinds of things on the bed and they kept saying I was pushing well, just the baby was stuck. (It turns out he was posterior and his head was jammed against the pelvic bone = not fitting not progressing).

At 6:30 p.m. I pushed a few more times while screaming like no one has ever screamed before and the doc said, "OK, that's it. Time for a c section." I was totally fine with it. I was begging for "sweet relief" to quote my moaning.

The anesthesiologist was HOME! so I had to wait for him to come in! and it was a "change of shift baby" so they were slow sitting up the surgical suite. I was in AGONY waiting. The SPINAL felt like someone flicked me with their fingers. THAT was what I was scared of?!?! it was EASY. I went numb on my left instantly but I could feel my right side. They wanted to redo the spinal but I asked them to wait. They waited 10-15 minutes and I finally went numb on both sides. After tugging and pulling, Jake was out and he didn't cry at first, but then I heard this soft affordable whimper cry and my hubby and I bawled our eyes out. DH stayed by my side and asked that they bring the baby over to us at the same time. I thought that was sweet. He scored two 9s on his APGAR tests and was told he was wide awake after birth because I went all natural until the spinal.

I didn't see much of Jake in the OR room. They took him to the nursery and STAPLED me up. I just was so happy. I waited an hour in recovery, by myself, watching the clock. All I wanted was my baby and my husband. That part was killing me. I just wanted Jake.

Finally, they wheeled me up and put in him in my arms and he really hasn't left my arms since. It was a long, dramatic day and not the ending I wanted, but I couldn't be more at peace with what happened. I was so afraid of an epi causing fetal distress and ending in a c section birth. Well, somethings are totally out of your control. When I almost needed the induction, I learned that LABOR cannot be controlled. You can go in with a plan, but ultimately, your body and the baby will decide the outcome. Try to be at peace with whatever happens.

here's the love of my life:

March 3rd, 2012, 09:57 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
Congrats! Sorry you didn't get the natural childbirth you wanted, but glad he's here and healthy!
March 3rd, 2012, 10:27 AM
daneeleigh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations, he's precious!
March 3rd, 2012, 01:32 PM
Regular
Congratulations! He is so adorable Sorry you didn't get the natural birth but I'm glad he was born healthy
March 8th, 2012, 03:13 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Wow sounds like u stayed strong even when things got rough..very proud of you & love your postive attitude.
He is so handsome
& you are one beautiful mama
Hope u are recovering well from the c section

Thank you Brittany for my very pretty siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search