Merrik's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 3rd, 2012, 11:16 AM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
I lost my mucous plus on saturday so I was fairly confident that something was gonna be happening in the near future. It wasn't bloody show but still, I felt like that was it. Nothing much happened on sunday but on monday evening, I had what I thought was bloody show. I became worried when I realized that it was more blood than I was expected and I spent about an hour monitoring how much blood was coming out. Since it didn't look too much, I went to bed.

I had a horrible night, coming down with a chest cold and being woken up by some sporadic but painful contractions. I woke up early and went to the bathroom and when I wiped, there was quite a lot of bright red blood. Worried, I called the hospital but was told to wait it out, check if it was tapering off or becoming worse. So I laid down for an hour and when I woke up and went to the bathroom, it looked like I was hemorrhaging. Loads of red blood and clots were coming out. I was oddly calm about it, called the hospital to let them know I was coming in and even took time to fix my hair (I do silly things when I get nervous!). So off we went.

I got to the hospital at 10am and was monitored. They couldn't tell where the blood was coming from but since I was already 3cm and 80% effaced, they ruptured my membranes and put me in a birthing room. Labor started really quickly. I went from no contractions to having really strong ones that lasted over a minute and were 1 to 2 minutes apart. I had a really hard time breathing through them. I labored on the birthing ball and in the bath but the contractions while in the water were soooo strong that I didn't wanted to be in it after a short while. After something like 4 hours of that, I asked for the epi. The anesthesiologist was super backed up and I had to wait about an hour and a half before she could do it. Needless to say, it was heaven not to have to deal with the contractions Unfortunately, it really slowed the labor down so I got put on pitocin. About 3 hours later I was almost complete and the epi stopped working. Ay caramba, the pain!!

I started pushing and it rapidly became obvious that it wasn't gonna be quick since baby had turned posterior. I kept on pushing with all my might for a bit over an hour but i was barely progressing. So I'm not sure why but the doc decided that even though I was connected to pitocin, IV, monitoring thingies and still had my epi in (that had started functionning partially halfway through labor), I should stand up and sit on the birthing bench. So I managed to get up and everything got kinda hazy. I had a huge BP drop and almost fainted, started vomiting and was completely confused. The room was suddenly full of medical personnel trying to get me back on the bed (not sure how I made it), my SO was freaking out.The OB then decided to try to turn baby around manually and jammed her hand up there and was unexpectedly successful (possibly standing up helped, we're not sure). So I resumed pushing for another hour before I felt him crowning. I'm a bit hazy on the details but I remember couple things like begging the OB to use a vacuum (why? I don't know...), saying that my butt was exploding and when I was asked if I wanted to see baby come out, I said 'I don't care! Just get him out!'. I pushed a couple more time and the head was born. And he started screaming right there and then (the visual I wave of that is pretty funny). The feeling of him coming out is bars none the weirdest sensation ever. They put him on my stomach and I remember saying 'It's a baby, thank you everyone'. Ok, writing this is making me sound pretty insane... So Merrik was born at 23h23 on the 28th (I actually kinda wanted a leap year baby but by that point, he couldn't be born fast enough!) and weighted 9pounds 7oz, 22 inches long.

The placenta was stuck and I had a nurse, the intern and the OB all massaging my uterus and trying to pull on the placenta to get it out. It took a really long time before it came out and when it did, it was HUGE. And came out with soooooo much blood and liquid and a clot almost half the size of baby. And splashed the OB from head to toe Our theory is that the placenta was detaching and the blood that came out that morning was coming from that. I spent an hour being stitched up (3 tears and a pretty big one on my perineum) and when it was time to get to my room, I couldn't get up. My BP was around 70/40 and we found out a bit later that with the blood that I lost, I had pretty severe anemia. So I had to be wheeled on the bed to my room and had a rough first night. The next morning, since I still couldn't stand up to go to the bathroom, I had the single most despicable nurse ever put a catheter in without even trying not to hurt me all the while she kept on saying: 'I'm hurting you, right? '. Erm...yes? I don't go all stiff and hold my breath and whine like this when I'm not in pain. *sighs* My BP came back up during the day so I didn't feel like death warmed over anymore.

So that's pretty much it for now. I'll probably come back to edit/correct this birth story when I'll get some time and I'm not gazing at my little man in amazement

Taken right after we got in our room, about 2 hours after birth. He's wearing his Space Invader hat because his head was too big for the hospital's .

Last edited by MissLoki; March 3rd, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
March 3rd, 2012, 02:12 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Isn't birth glamorous? I got a couple of good chuckles from your story.

Thank you for sharing!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

March 3rd, 2012, 02:54 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Wow.... i'm surprised they let you have a vaginal with a placental abruption. Thats normally an emergency c-section. An HOUR to get stitched up!? What?! I was cut from stem to stern and my doctor only took about 15 minutes. You poor woman
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 3rd, 2012, 05:09 PM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
Wow.... i'm surprised they let you have a vaginal with a placental abruption. Thats normally an emergency c-section. An HOUR to get stitched up!? What?! I was cut from stem to stern and my doctor only took about 15 minutes. You poor woman
I asked them about that because i had been told that I would have a c-sec if i ever had lots of bleeding (back when my placenta was marginal). The OB said that the initial bleeding wasn't important enough to let them think that i wouldn't be able to have a vaginal birth but the clot they found behind the placenta made them think that they had taken a risk. So I guess i was lucky.

As for the 1 hr reconstruction down there, I think its because it was an intern doing the job. i had no reference to how long it could take so I thought it was normal.

March 3rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow! What a story! So glad you and baby are okay. You poor momma, that was rough, but he's worth it I'm sure. Congratulations!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w.../ryderlee1.gif
March 4th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Dan's wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's quite a story! Glad you're both ok!

March 4th, 2012, 07:29 PM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, I am so glad you and baby are ok!

Your story is scaring me a bit since I had partial and then marginal previa and now they *think* it's far enough away but it's hard to tell when they do an ultrasound b/c baby's head is right on my cervix.

Congrats on your new baby!

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
March 5th, 2012, 08:59 AM
CAMPMOMMYAMY's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow!!! I am soooooo glad you and baby are okay!!!!! He is absolutely adorable too

March 7th, 2012, 06:33 AM
chapsgirl07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you both are ok!! What a cute baby!! Congrats.

March 7th, 2012, 07:35 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a story! Glad it has a happy ending. Your little man is adorable!

March 9th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Congrats!!
March 10th, 2012, 12:03 AM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You are a champ!! wow, you go mama! Congrats!

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search