Donavan's Birth Story (a little long)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mommy2noelle

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 8th, 2012, 12:34 PM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Donavan’s birth story actually starts with my 40 week doctor’sappointment, which was scheduled for 10:30am on Monday, March 5th. I typically go to the doctor’s on Tuesdays,but this week they only had Monday or Wednesday available. I got to the doctor’s office only expecting aBPP and regular check-up. Well, when theu/s tech called me back (not the usual lady), she said she was going to checkthe baby’s size. At my 37 weekappointment, the regular tech told me she wouldn’t be doing any more growthscans, so I was shocked. Anyway, thelady does her measurements and tells me the baby is 10 lbs 2 oz. HUH???? I told her 3 weeks ago, the baby measured 7lbs 4 oz, so she was telling me he gained 3 lbs in 3 weeks?? She says “Well that’s my estimate”. She went back and played with themeasurements a little and got it down to 9 lbs 12 oz. Either way, I knewDonavan was coming that day or the next.

So I get in to see the OB (not my regular doc), and she isimmediately concerned about the baby’s size and says there’s no way they’reletting me go until next week and she recommends a c-section because he’s sobig. I asked her was it really possiblefor the baby to have gotten that big in 3 weeks, and she said he couldhave. So anyway, I told her I did notwant a c-section. She said ok, explainedthe risk, and then said she was going to check me to see how much progress Ihad made. She asked what I was the weekbefore and I told her. So as she’schecking me, she’s up there for a minute and she’s like “You’re not havingcontractions??” And I was like, not that I can tell. And honestly, I hadn’t really felt more thanwhat I thought were cramps and BHs. Shetells me I’m 4cm and 80% effaced and that she could stretch me to 5cm if shewanted but she didn’t). She sent me tobe monitored and I was having contractions…go figure. So after 30 minutes of being monitored shetells me I’m going to the hospital to have the baby.

I made my phone calls and went home to wait for my BFF, whowas my birthing partner. Ironically, Ihad taken Noelle to daycare that day, because I wanted to come home after myappointment and do laundry and make a store run. I left the doctor’s office around 12:30. BFF got to my house around 2pm. We changed the sheets on my bed, I ate somefruit, grabbed my stuff, and we got to the hospital around 3pm (after stopping atChick Fil-A so I could get a sandwich). I got into my room around 3:30 (they were not busy at all) and the firstdoctor came to see me. He checked me,said I was 5 cm and that he wanted to do my abx (gbs+), break my water, andstart some Pitocin. So I said, wait…if I’mhaving regular contractions (by this point I could tell I was in labor, but notin pain), why not let me labor a bit by myself and see what happens. He was very hesitant to do this and was justlike “Well if you want to be here all night”. I said, well if nothing happens then I’ll just go home. Thankfully, they were changing OB’s and justmy luck, my regular doctor was the next one on call. YAY!!!!
So after reviewing my files, he decided that the growthestimate was off, said baby was probably high 8’s at most and that the tech whodid the scan was always off. So anyway,we discussed what the previous OB said and Dr. Norman said that he didn’t needto start Pitocin. He also said that Icould go walking for a little while to see if I progress any, and if afterwalking, I didn’t progress, then he’d rupture my bag. I said ok. So this is about 5pm maybe? I gofor a walk, and immediately notice how painful it is…so I only do one lap andthen go back and sit on the ball. Thedoc came in around 5:30 and said “What are you doing? I thought you werewalking?” So I told him it was painful. LOL! So he said, he’d come back to check me in 10 minutes. So I decided to walk some more and did a fewgood laps. The contractions weredefinitely painful (about a 6) and long! My contractions would start, peak, begin to taper off, and then peakagain. OUCH! At this point, I was still trying to labornaturally, and because I didn’t want an epi, I didn’t get an IV, but more aboutthat later. Around 6pm, doc came in andchecked me and I was still at a 5, so he broke my water. That is so gross! LOL! It was so much. Baby’s head was at a minus 1 I think he saidat that point. So there I am, laboringand after about 20 minutes, the contractions start to get really painful, and Iknew at that point I wasn’t going to make it without an epi. So they tell me that I have to have all theIV fluids in order to get the epi. YIKES! My bag was practically full. Theyturned the pump up for me, and it took about 45 minutes for me to get all thefluids. The pain was so, so much bythen. About 8:15 or so theanesthesiologist came in and did my epi.

IDK what he did, but the epi never got super effective likeNoelle’s, but I also didn’t want to have him back poking at my back, so I saidno worries. So I labored with verytolerable contractions for about 45 minutes. My doc came in sometime after 9 tocheck me and said I was still 5cm. But while he was checking me, I had a contractionand he said with the contractions, I stretched to a 7, so he documented that asmy progress. He said it would be aboutan hour or so. He also got some morefluid out, which he said would help baby drop. So IDK what he did, but at that point, my contractions went fromtolerable to holy hell again. And within20 minutes of that, the nurse was in my room giving me oxygen and putting aninternal monitor on the baby. She saidhis rate was dropping, but it was probably just him descending into the birthcanal. At this point I was deliriouswith pain. When the pain started tointensify, I had pushed the button on the epi, but it did not work at all.LOL!

Around 9:30 or so, the doc came to check me again and hesays “Oh, you’re complete and baby’s at +1, so I’m just going to let you labordown to reduce your pushing and you let me know when you feel the pressure inyour bum”. So I said ok (still inagonizing pain) and laid there for a few more minutes and with eachcontraction, I kept feeling like his head was coming out, but was thinkingthere was no way I was feeling that so fast…so I told the doc anyway and when Iturned over for him to check me, he just laughed, because my contractions wereindeed pushing baby’s head out. So theycalled pediatrics (there was so meconium in my fluids) and got me set up. He had me push and with three pushes on onecontraction his head came out. On the nextcontraction I delivered. Doc says, “wellyou’re not going to get a baby bigger than that!” and plopped him on mytummy. I was so shocked at how heavy hewas.

At 9:47 pm, on March 5th, after 3 minutes ofpushing, Donavan Allen Elijah Dorsey was born weighing 9 lbs 3 oz and 21”long. I did not tear at all and I didnot have to be cut. Baby did not showany signs of sugar issues, breathing issues, or any other complications. He latched on almost immediately and has beennursing well ever since.

I would not change a thing about my birth experience and amblessed to have vaginally delivered a healthy boy. I am so in love and just hope that in thefuture I can do that maybe one more time.
Fluffy Baby likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

March 8th, 2012, 02:27 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww, I'm so glad you are so apply with his birth and you avoided being induced. Did Noelle get to be there with you?

March 8th, 2012, 04:18 PM
chapsgirl07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Great job, Nia!

March 8th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Thanks Laura!

Whitney, I decided not to have Noelle there for my sanity.

March 8th, 2012, 06:25 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Awww!!! Congrats mama! Thats a lovely birth story.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
March 9th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Congrats nia! What a chunker!
March 9th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks guys! All I kept hearing while we were in the hospital was how heavy he was whenever a new nurse came to check him. LOL!

March 9th, 2012, 04:19 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Great job, hon! I'm glad it went so well. I had the same issue with my epidural this time, and actually the anesthesiologist told me that the amount of medication they automatically put in epidurals now (at my hospital, at least) is about a third of what they did when I had Eric. Of course, that doesn't explain why mine completely failed, but it might be part of why it didn't get super effective for you this time.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
March 30th, 2012, 04:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congrats Nia! He's adorable, well done mama I love the pic of Noelle and Donovan, very cute!
Johnny age 4 born October 8, 2008
SHANE IS HERE!! Born March 1, 2012

Breastfeeding for 8 months now!!

April 12th, 2012, 03:08 AM
Thanks ladies!

I'm convinced that if I have another child, I'll be passing on the epi for sure.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search