Keagan Miles and Greyson Quinn 2/17/12

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I had been going for twice weekly NSTs/fluid level checks with my MFM with an OB appt on top for weeks, because my doctors knew that when things went bad it would happen quickly. When I went for my NST on Monday 2/13 we had the normal issues getting Baby B (Greyson) to be reactive, but my blood pressure was perfect- 116/68. On Wednesday 2/15 I was monitoring my blood pressure at home, and it was running between 140/90 and 145/95 all day. I knew that I was looking at the beginning of the end, but I was trying to be optimistic. DH kept telling me that I needed to call my OB, but I knew that I had an appt with my MFM and an appt with my OB the next day, so I told him that I was going to wait and see if the pressures on Wednesday were just a bad day. I knew I wasn't going to get that lucky, but I had adopted the not borrowing trouble mantra the entire pregnancy, and I didn't want to stop that outlook.
When I woke up on Thursday morning 2/16 my blood pressure was still 140/90. I knew I wasn't getting out of those two appts without a trip to the hospital. I went to my MFM appt for my NST and fluid level check. My BP was 140/90, and the nurse wasn't too concerned since I had such good pressures just a few days ago. We had our normal issues getting the babies to cooperate on the NST, their fluid levels were great, their BPPs came back perfect, so all was well with them. I did the urine dip right before I left. As the color came up on the stick I thought it looked a lot darker than it had in the past, but the nurse practitioner (not my normal one) said it was fine. I was a little surprised, but figured I was just being overly cautious. Besides, I still had another urine dip to do at the OB's office.
After my MFM appt I had a little bit of time before I needed to go to my OB appt so I stopped at Target and bought all the toiletries that I needed for my hospital bag. Then I went to Chic-fil-A to grab something to eat. When things went bad with DD's pregnancy the only reason DH made it to the hospital for her birth was because I had eaten right before my appt. So I had made it common practice to eat something before all appts with the twins where he wasn't there just in case. After that I was on my way to the OBs office.
When the nurse called me back I told her on the way to the exam room that I knew I would be going to the hospital. She chuckled and reminded me how well I had been doing, and told me not to worry. My first indication that my feeling that something was wrong was correct was when I stepped on the scale. I had gained 7lbs in 6 days. The last few appts I had only gained a pound. I knew from experience with pre-e with DS and DD that there was no way that it was normal weight gain. I just looked at the nurse, and I could tell that she believed me now. We got into the exam room and she took my blood pressure. I knew it was high, because she took it 3 times in each arm before telling me what the number was. She also wasn't very good at hiding her concern. It was 158/100. She also informed me that my urine dip had been +1 for protein. If I had any doubt how the day was going to turn out it was gone after that. I sat and waited for the doctor to come in to see what kind of trouble I was in for. When she came in she got right to the point and told me I needed to do another24 hour urine. I was surprised when she said that she would let me do it at home, but I was relieved because I could still be home with DS and DD. She told me that she would find out where I needed to drop it off at the hospital, because by the time I finished the regular lab would be closed and she wanted the results back stat because of my history. She left the room to call the hospital. When she came back she told me that there had been a change in plans. While she was on the phone with the hospital she had been going through my computerized records and realized that I had been +1 for protein in my urine for 3 weeks. I had no idea! They hadn't mentioned it to me, because my blood pressure had been so fabulous up until that point so they weren't concerned. Now with the elevated BP AND the protein they were. She said that I needed to be admitted to the hospital for the 24 hour urine, and that I more than likely wasn't getting past the weekend still pregnant. She asked me where my kids were, and I told her DS was at school, DD was at the babysitter, and DH was at work. I asked her if I had time to go home and get the kids situated before leaving for the hospital. She told me she could give me 3 hours, but not to push my luck. She was calling the hospital and telling them to expect me. I was grateful for the time, because I didn’t have that luxury when DD was born. On my way to check out I texted DH and told him to leave work and pick up DD on the way. I have a very close relationship with the woman who does check out at the OB’s office, and I told her what was going on. I was kind of in a daze and asked her if I should make my appt for next week just in case. She laughed and told me there was no reason for that, and that I knew that, and if by chance I was still pregnant they would fit me in. She came around to the front and gave me a hug and wished me luck.
When I got out to the parking lot I called DH and explained what happened then I called my mom to tell her. She told me that she and my dad would get their things together and be at my house right away to watch the kids for us. When I got home I started to get our hospital bags packed (it was a good thing I had stopped at Target to get the toiletries!). My parents came shortly after that, and then DH got home with DD. I told him that I wanted to say goodbye to DS before I left, because I didn’t want a repeat of what happened with DD’s birth, so he went and picked him up early from school. I finished packing the hospital bags, said goodbye to DS and DD, and we left.
When we got to the hospital they were expecting us. I was admitted to the triage area and got the 24 hour urine started. They put in my IV and sent my blood work off to be tested. They hooked me up to the monitors to run their strip. The most frustrating thing about this is it’s hospital policy for twins that they be reactive for 20 minutes together to finish the test. The shortest amount of time it took for both of them to cooperate was 3 hours. The resident came in and I was impressed that she had printed all of my records from my OB’s office. She was concerned that I was definitely going to deliver and was taking my history into total account. I told her that I thought she was right, but I wasn’t going to stress until there was a reason to. A couple hours later shift changed and the resident from hell came in. I could tell she was a know it all witch from the minute she walked in the room. She told me that there was no way I was sick enough for the babies to come now. I explained to her that with DD that I went from fine to severely pre-eclamptic in 2 days, and that’s what it looked like was happening again. She decided to get high and mighty and tell me that I was only interested in being done with the pregnancy and that I should be ashamed of myself for wanting to put my babies at risk like that. She told me that she didn’t care what my doctor said, that if those protein numbers weren’t high enough by her standards I was going home. (I was supposed to be delivered if my numbers were 300 or higher) I was super pissed, and I went at her. I told her that I wasn’t done with being pregnant. There was no way that I wanted to have those babies born at not even 34 weeks unless there was a good reason, and how DARE she insinuate that she knew what was going on in my head. I told her that she needed to get the **** out of my room and send the attending in so that I could talk to her. A little while later the attending came in and she apologized for the witch. She was really great and was taking my history into account when making decisions. I spent all night in the triage area, because there were so many laboring moms in L&D. They had to wait for someone to be moved to the postpartum floors before I could get a room on that side. It was ok, other than the nurse that didn’t know how to run a strip on twins. She came in at midnight and kept insisting that Baby A and Baby B were opposite and that she needed to keep the monitor on just one side. Around 1am when we still hadn’t gotten both babies on I got loud with her and told her to let me do it. Around 6am on 2/17 a room opened up so I moved over to L&D.
The nurse that I had on that side was phenomenal! The resident and attending were nice, but neither one of them thought that my proteins would come back elevated. My blood work had come back ok, and I tried to explain to them that with DS and DD my blood work never went bad, but I was very sick. They blew me off in a very polite way. The nurse saw how frustrated I was getting and told me, not that it excuses their behavior, but they see all kinds of whackadoos in there who just want to be done that they take everything a patient says with a grain of salt. Eventually I got so frustrated with them dismissing my BP readings and such that I called DH at home to have him call my doctor. She called me on my cell and then talked to the resident and attending. They still didn’t believe I would be delivering, but they couldn’t say they weren’t aware of my doctor’s wishes. At 5:30pm I finished my 24 hour urine collection and the nurse let me take a shower while she sent the samples down to be tested. My awesome nurse came in at 7pm and said goodbye and wished me luck. DH and I sat in the room and waited to hear results from the next shift. At 7:50pm the door opened and the attending from the day shift walked in with the attending on the night shift and my new nurse. When I saw all 3 of them walk in together I knew. I turned to DH before they could even say anything and said, “It’s over.” They confirmed that I was right and that my protein levels were way over 300. They said that the babies would be here shortly after 9pm.
After that it was a whirlwind of activity. The neonatologist came in to explain what they were going to do and what would happen depending on the babies’ condition at birth. He told us what to expect from babies born at 33w6d. The anesthesiologist and his assistant came in and asked their questions and told me what they were going to do. Before I knew it they were wheeling me into the OR to get me prepped. Even though they were moving quickly everything was so much more calm than my birth with DD (at a different hospital). They were all so accommodating and interested in giving me the birth I wanted to the best of their ability. I asked to not have my arms out to my sides and not have calming meds put in my IV after the twins were out and they were fine with that. They did the spinal, had me lay down, and let me numb up. A little later the drape went up and the nurses were counting materials. Before I knew it we were ready to start. A little while later I heard the doctors saying, “Hey little guy are you trying to walk out?” Apparently when they cut my uterus Keagan’s foot popped out and he started wiggling and it looked like he was trying to walk out of the womb. Keagan Miles made his appearance at 9:19pm, and he came out screaming. I instantly started to cry. I had waited SO long to hear that beautiful sound! They allowed DH to take a pic then passed him off to his neonatologist and nurses. At 9:20pm Greyson Quinn entered the world peeing all over the doctors. They had DH take a pic then passed little man off to his neonatologist and nurses. A few seconds after Greyson went over to be evaluated I heard a bunch of screaming. I looked at DH and said, “He’s peeing on them all.” Sure enough a minute later one of the nurses came over to tell us that they looked great and that Greyson had one hell of a fire hose and knew how to use it. While the doctors were finishing up with me the neonatologists brought Keagan and Greyson over so I could see them and I got to give them kisses and touch their beautiful faces. They let DH hold them, took some pics for us, then they brought them down to the NICU. After they were done closing me up I was moved to recovery.
I was in recovery for about 5 hours while they got a room ready for me. I had A LOT of pain because of the contractions and cramps. I knew that they got worse with each baby you have, but the nurse informed me that it would be worse because my uterus was so large with 2 babies and had so far to contract back down. I have a super high tolerance for pain, and they wound up having to give me several bolus shots of different meds to help while they were waiting for the pump meds to kick in. They also got the mag started because of the pre-e. While I was in recovery DH went back and forth between me and the NICU taking pics, getting updates, and checking on the boys. He also took care of making all the calls, texts, and updating Facebook. Around 3am I got into my room. I had to stay in bed until 10pm the next night until they finished with my mag treatment. It was so hard to be away from my babies. They had wanted me to wait at least an hour after they stopped the mag before I went to the NICU to see the babies, but I refused to wait. I was down there with them around 10:20pm on 2/18. It was hard to see them hooked up. Keagan was on CPAP and had IVs. On 2/19 they wound up needing to put in a PICC line, because his veins kept moving and blowing. Greyson, my peanut, surprisingly never needed help with breathing. He had IVs for lipids, vitamins, etc, but he never had breathing issues. They both came home on 3/5 and are doing well. Here are there stats:

Keagan Miles
2/17/12
6lbs 2oz
18 ¼ in

Greyson Quinn
2/17/12
4lbs 6oz
18 ¼ in

*We’ve since discovered that both of their birth lengths were incorrect. We don’t know what they really were, but we know that both were wrong.

Here are some pics:

Keagan

Greyson

Keagan

Greyson

Keagan

Greyson

Keagan

Greyson

Keagan

Greyson

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

March 11th, 2012, 08:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow you sure went through a lot withthose boys. Glad you stood your ground and everything ended up great. They are beautiful, congratulations!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w.../ryderlee1.gif
March 15th, 2012, 08:47 AM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww, your birth story totally made me cry! I'm so glad that everything is going so well with them now. I'm also glad you gave it to that witchy resident. How rude of her!!!

March 30th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations! What a birth story, I'm glad that they are both doing better now. They are beautiful and I love the pic of your kids together and the ones of you holding them both, so adorable!
Johnny age 4 born October 8, 2008
SHANE IS HERE!! Born March 1, 2012

Breastfeeding for 8 months now!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search