Log In Sign Up

Shane's Birth Story - Born March 1st (long)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lovemykiddos!
  • 1 Post By chapsgirl07

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 27th, 2012, 10:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 1,029
Shane's birth story starts on February 29th which was when the contractions started. Because I'd never gone into labor on my own I didn't even know for sure if it was labor. At around 8:30 in the morning I was getting the kids ready and had my first really painful contraction but didn't think much of it. I headed off to Walmart with my daughter for some last minute shopping..little did I know how last minute it was lol. While at Walmrt I had several more painful contractions. Not unbearable but definitely strong enough to stop me in my tracks. Then around 2 in the afternoon they suddenly started getting much closer together. I went to the washroom and saw blood and by then was pretty convinced I was in "real" labor. Things went really fast after that, by 4:00 my contractions were coming every 5 minutes and the blood had increased. In the midst of these contractions I was rushing around packing the rest of my stuff for the hospital and making calls to get one brother to come here and watch my kids while my other brother headed to the city to pick up my grandmother who we had planned on her coming up for a few days to help watch the kids. At around 5 pm my brother arrived to watch my kids and we headed to the hospital. The contractions were every 4-5 minutes and very strong but still not unbearable.

Once I got to the hospital they checked me and to my surprise I was already 7 cms dilated and completely effaced!. They asked me if I wanted the epi and I said no, not yet. I didn't want to be confined to the bed quite yet. So I went to walk around with dh and decided to get a sub sandwich to eat because I was suddenly starving. We went back to the room awhile later and by then I was ready for the epi. The anesthesiologist comes in and this is where things start to go awry. It takes him THREE attempts to get the epi positioned properly This means I'm stuck with the freezing needle and the epi multiple times. I was getting scared, upset and angry and on the last attempt I told him if he didn't get it right that I was not going to do the epi. Well, he got it in but for days afterward my back hurt really bad

The doctor comes in and checks me and I'm 8. He says he's going to break my water in a few minutes and that should get me to 10 quickly, Well, while he's out a lady came in who needed emergency surgery to remove an ovary. The ob was gone for hours doing that and now that I was confined to the bed time dragged on forever. Finally he comes back and breaks my water. The water ends up splurting on him lol. Just moments after that I'm at a 10 and ready to push. It went so fast I couldn't believe it! I pushed for 3 contractions and he was out! It took maybe ten minutes of pushing and Shane was born March 1st at 5:42 in the morning, he weighed 8 pounds even and perfectly healthy except for a lot of mucus from being born so fast. I had them put him right on me for some nice skin to skin bonding time and within a short time he latched on and we've been breastfeeding ever since. I'm really excited about this as I tried to nurse my other two kids but it never worked out. This baby loves the boob and we've had no issues so far. A few days after we went home I had my stitches from tearing break! I had to go back to the hospital and they restitched me. Ouch!!Since that happened John's been great about helping out and I'm finally healed up from that.

We've spent the last few weeks getting used to being a family of 5 and it's going well for the most part. Shane is an amazing baby. Very laid back and happy, he rarely cries and reminds me of my daughter when she was a baby. She was the same way, very easy going. We are co sleeping and Shane has a pattern where he eats like crazy all day but then only wakes once at night to eat. It's a total godsend because at the end of the day I'm exhausted and grateful to be able to sleep so much at night. He's already had one growth spurt a week ago and he wanted to eat literally every hour during the day and every couple hours at night. It was totally exhausting and it lasted a good 5 days straight! For a few days after the growth spurt he slept a lot and I notice he's gotten longer. The 3 month outfits that were way too long before now fit him so it looks like all that eating definitely made a difference.

I'm loving having a newborn again. I'm still trying to figure out a good balance between caring for baby, my older two kids and keeping up with the house etc. It's really hard at times but it's slowly getting better - or I'm just getting more used to trying to get it all done. My house looks like a bomb went off in it most days but it's hard to keep up when I'm nursing all day it seems. As I type this my little guy is nursing away lol. I've realized stuff will just have to wait. I concentrate on the essentials and try not to worry too much if stuff that's non-essential doesn't get done. When John's home on the weekends he helps me with the housework I haven't got done and during the week he's pretty good about helping out when he comes home. He took off the first 2 weeks to stay home and help me which was great, Lord knows I needed it! Shane has an appt next week and I'm curious how much he'll weigh. At our last appt he'd already gained back the weight he lost in hospital. He was born weighing 8 pounds but then went down to 7.6 and now back up again to 8. Hopefully the next weight check he'll he closer to 9 I'd guess. He's growing so fast! And that's the story so far

Here is a pic from shortly after he was born

He latched on just minutes after birth!

Jodie (me)
John dh
Samantha age 5 born October 18, 2007
Johnny age 4 born October 8, 2008
SHANE IS HERE!! Born March 1, 2012

Breastfeeding for 8 months now!!

Last edited by moonshyne; March 27th, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
March 27th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ulysses, NE
Posts: 8,341
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Congrats!!! It's great that you got to go into labor on your own!!
moonshyne likes this.
Rachael wife to Shaun, mommy to Jarrett (11) Serenity (3) and Beauden (born 3/3/12) stepmom to Kamryn (9)
Reply With Quote
March 27th, 2012, 06:59 PM
chapsgirl07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Southwest Florida
Posts: 1,785
Great story! Thanks for sharing!
moonshyne likes this.

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0