Won't drink formula

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2012, 10:01 AM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Last night I don't know if my milk supply was down or if she was just having tummy troubles, but nursing was not working. So I decided to try having her take a bottle of formula. At the hospital she had a couple of bottles to help flush out jaunice. But last night she would have none of it! A little would drip into her mouth and she would give a disgusted look and cry.I tried for about an hr, but she sure is stuborn! I really pray nursing goes better today! Last night it was about 6 hrs till I got a decent feed in her We would just pacify her and get her to sleep with her binkie, but then she'd wake up wanting to eat and fuss at the breast, repeat every 30 min.

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

April 17th, 2012, 04:05 AM
mommy2noelle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Brandy, have you put in a call to her pediatrician?

I've read where others have said that babies with reflux tend to fuss when it's time to eat, be it at the breast or bottle. If eating is causing her pain, then she won't want to eat, you know? Have you tried gas drops (sorry if you've answered that before)? Also, on the formula front, maybe try soy formula? Walmart's brand in inexpensive and very good. Soy formula is lighter than the regular milk-based formulas, so it may "taste" more like breastmilk. Also, if you haven't, make sure the bottle is pretty warm. Donavan gobbles up warm bottles like nobody's business.

I hope you get something figured out.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my gorgeous siggy!

April 17th, 2012, 05:42 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
Formula's got to be pretty disgusting when you're used to breast milk! I agree with Nia, I'd talk to the pedi about all the fussing, and definitely try warmed up bottles either of formula or breastmilk. Between growth spurts and possible tummy troubles, we have days like that as well where Andrew fusses a lot more than usual both on and off the breast, but they pass within a day or two... I hope the same is true for you guys!

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
April 17th, 2012, 02:07 PM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you guys! I am going to ask about the reflux.. although she doesn't spit up barley at all. I'll also ask for some soy formula samples while I'm there. Although I'm not ready to give up on bf yet! But it does get scary thinking that she's not gaining what she should!

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

April 17th, 2012, 06:35 PM
faysdt414's Avatar Mother, Crafter, OT
We had the same problem recently, she would not take the formula but then I made it warm and used a different bottle/nipple type and she eats it just fine now

Ella Chaya: March 15, 2012 (8.14lbs)
April 20th, 2012, 12:14 PM
Valerie.'s Avatar Loving life as a mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandywk View Post
Thank you guys! I am going to ask about the reflux.. although she doesn't spit up barley at all. I'll also ask for some soy formula samples while I'm there. Although I'm not ready to give up on bf yet! But it does get scary thinking that she's not gaining what she should!
How are things going now ? I hope she is back to BF

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search