Comfort nursing???

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2012, 12:34 PM
yugot2h8's Avatar Veteran
AK still seems constantly hungry, but I am starting to think she is just comfort nursing after the first 20 minutes or so. She won't fall asleep unless she nurses for a ridiculously long time. I don't mind it, but it seems this has already become a habit and this won't be good later on!

How do I (gradually) get her to stop? We just found out she has reflux, partially because she is getting too much to eat because she does this. Her doctor said 10 minutes on each side should be plenty at her age, but she just won't have it. If I pull her off, she's munching on her hands half an hour later.

Help!

Also, she will not take a pacifier. I've been trying to give her one when the 20 minutes of eating are done, but she just spits it out. And I keep trying and trying and trying but it's either my nip or give herself a hickey on her arm or scream.

thanks to claire1979 for my gorgeous siggy

Last edited by yugot2h8; April 17th, 2012 at 12:36 PM.
April 17th, 2012, 01:16 PM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My I used to get all my lo's to take binkies, was to first give gas drops then pop the binkie in. I guess you could also use sugar water if you had to do it a lot. But for my kids I only had to do this for a few days and/or when I had to have them take a binkie (ie. car rides). Eventually they got used to sucking on it. Emmalyn still every once in a while will gag when I put her binkie in. When she does I just walk her around get her calmer, put a drop of gass drops and try again. Usually always works.

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

April 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
ericab's Avatar Veteran
Luke use to do the same thing, I was a human pacifier! He was wanting to eat every 2 hours so I just walked him around calming him while trying to give him a pacifier and it took about 2 days but he finally took it, also I agree with Brandy gas drops will help.
April 20th, 2012, 09:41 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
Could she be going through a growth spurt?
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search