Help! I think I'm losing my milk, what's the best way to increase my supply?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mythreesons

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 19th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow, this is weird! just a month ago I had too much milk and now suddenly I don't think I'm making enough. I think the fact my little man was sleeping much longer during the day all last week plus he only usually wakes up once at night has depleted my supply. He now seems to be constantly hungry and not satisfied after a feed. While he's eating he tugs a lot at my nipple and gets frustrated. Just to see I pumped and usually I can get 4 ounces from one breast and 3 from the other - this time I got one ounce from one breast and barely 2 ounces from the breast i usually get 4 from! Finally this morning after being up from 4 am on with him breastfeeding but not seeming to get anything and him waking up over and over wanting to eat I gave him a bottle of formula which he devoured 4 ounces of. He was very satisfied afterwards and finally fell asleep.

Thing is, I really don't want to get in the habit of supplementing him with formula but I felt today I had no choice. He was really hungry and apparently I didn't have enough milk for him. What is the best way to (quickly) increase my supply? I'm putting him to breast a lot more often, every couple hours - to try and up my supply. I've heard of Fenugreek helping, has anyone tried this? Or would I be better off getting a prescription for Reglan to boost my supply? If anyone can tell me whats worked for them the best to increase supply I'd really appreciate it. I am scared of losing my supply and I don't want to have to stop breastfeeding. I love it and so does my little guy but I'm just not making enough milk right now.
Johnny age 4 born October 8, 2008
SHANE IS HERE!! Born March 1, 2012

Breastfeeding for 8 months now!!

April 19th, 2012, 12:47 PM
mythreesons's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nursing is the best way to increase your supply. Also, try to pump in between feeds. Fenugreek I great. I had success with DS#2.

He may also be going through a growth spurt and need to eat more often. When Christopher went through a growth spurt, I think he ate almost non stop for four hours.
moonshyne likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my wonderful siggy!

Me: Kristine

April 19th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think I'll give the fenugreek a try, do you think I could get it from the drugstore or would I need to go to a health food store? And yes, a growth spurt is possible but he just had one a couple weeks ago which is why he slept so much last week I think. After a crazy growth spurt he tends to sleep a lot for a few days to a week. I didn't think he could have another one so soon after the last one but I guess anything's possible.

How long after starting Fenugreek will I see an increase in my supply do you think? Hopefully it works quickly. My nipples are sooo sore right now from him latching on and sucking so voraciously trying to get milk out. I'll keep putting him on every couple hours though and pick up some Fenugreek later today. I'll have to be careful in the future and wake him up to eat if I need to in order to avoid too much time passing between feeds. I'm pretty sure that's what's caused my supply to drop. :/

April 19th, 2012, 05:03 PM
brandywk's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used the Fenugreek and pumped and I saw sucess in just one day! I hope it works for you!

6lbs 15oz 17.5 inches

Sister to Christian, Madelyn & Samuel

April 19th, 2012, 05:09 PM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do you have any frozen breast milk you could give him to supplement? Also, if he sleeps past a feeding session, you can pump instead so that it doesn't affect your supply.

Hope the fenugreek helps you!

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
April 20th, 2012, 01:59 AM
pixiedust012404's Avatar Lovin my baby girl
My walmart sells fenugreek!

thank you jaidynsmum for my siggie!

April 20th, 2012, 09:57 AM
cherry08's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used a combination of Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle in the past with good results. I have also used Domperidone and that really worked. The only downside for me was that whereas most women can take it for 2-4 weeks and to boost their supply and then wean off and their supply is fine I had to stay on it and long term use interferes with your AF (that's how I got pregnant with Zoe LOL) and can affect your mood a little bit. I am not planning for more children so if I really need to take it this time around I will if the Fenugreek etc aren't helping enough. I have been ok so far without anything but I usually find I have to start using something to boost my supply anywhere between 2-6 months after birth but I also do it because I let my kids self wean and usually BF for anywhere from 18 months to 3 years.

April 20th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wish I did have some frozen stashed away but I foolishly haven't put any away. Whenever I'm out for awhile myself I just pump and leave a bottle for dh. Hopefully I'll get my supply back and I'll definitely start freezing some just in case.

I'll try the Fenugreek/blessed thistle combo first and if that doesn't work I'll get the Domperidone (that's only available by prescription right?) I checked my Walmart today but no luck. I have to drive to a town about a half hour away to buy it from a health food store so I'm doing that tomorrow. And yes, I definitely need to pump if he sleeps a long time. I just figured I'd be ok because until now I didn't have any problem with my supply even when he did sleep longer.

Got my fingers crossed that the Fenugreek works as well for me as it did for everyone else.

April 21st, 2012, 01:09 AM
chapsgirl07's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Power pumping works well too. Pump 10 minutes, rest 10 minutes for an hour. Do that once a day for a day or 2 and you'll notice a huge difference.

April 21st, 2012, 08:34 AM
MommaTrish's Avatar bless your heart
Send a message via Yahoo to MommaTrish
I've been using the Fenugreek and Mother's Milk tea with noticeable success.
mom of: Zach (10), Ryan (8), Bella (5), Mason (2), and pollywog #5 due 12/04/14

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search