Log In Sign Up

Avery Harrison Bulger (I'm longwinded)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 21st, 2012, 03:45 PM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 964
On Sunday, March 18 , I woke from a dead sleep convinced I peed myself. After consciousness set in, I realized I was pretty sure it wasn’t urine and got excited that my water probably broke. It wasn’t a whole lot of fluid, so I wasn’t sure. I sat around for about an hour trying to decide if I should go to the hospital and finally decided I should. I had been told to get to the hospital as soon as my water broke for antibiotics since I was group B strep positive.

We arrived at the hospital around 6am and went to the early labour assessment unit. They started testing my fluid to see if it was amniotic fluid, but the nurse said that she was having trouble determining if it was indeed my water or not. We waited and waited. Finally, a resident confirmed it was my water, so I got my first round of antibiotics. I wasn’t in true labour yet, so the nurse said we could go out for a late brunch and then return to the hospital to have my labour induced. We had a lovely breakfast, excited that meeting our little man was so close.

We arrived back at the hospital around noon, and were admitted to the birth unit. I was having some contractions on my own, but nothing that I could feel. We waited around in our birthing room for a few hours waiting for the Pitocin.

It was about 2pm when I finally got hooked up to Pitocin. I was nervous because everyone tells you how intense labour gets very quickly with Pitocin. I started contracting but didn’t feel any real pain until a few hours later. We were walking the halls and I was bouncing around on the birthing ball trying to get my labour going and dialate.

Since my birth plan was to have the most natural possible birth, without pain medication, I was annoyed by IV pole and monitors. Since I was having my labour induced, I had to be monitored fairly constantly. At first this meant reduced mobility, but one of the nurses was able to make the wireless monitor work (they had been having trouble) so I could at least haul my IV pole up and down the hallways.

It was noted that the baby’s heart rate was great, except that there were occasional “variables” that the nurse kept a strict eye on. This meant that I was even more strictly monitored.

When my contractions started getting painful, I would hug my husband and sway my hips back and forth. I would breathe deeply and “ride the wave” of pain as much as I could. I was coping with the pain very well using the comfort measures that our doula had taught us and was suggestion throughout the course of my labour.

The variables in the baby’s heart rate became defined decels after each contraction. There were a number of times that the nurse told me I needed to stop what I was doing and get into a certain position. I was told to try laying down. I was also put back on the corded monitor which meant I couldn’t really move more than a few feet from my bed. I was still able to use the birthing ball, but certain positions were eliminated as the baby’s heart-rate ruled them out. Finally, I put into bed where the OB team checked my progress. I was less than 2 cm dialated at that point. They told me my water had only partially broken so they finished breaking it in hopes that my labour would make some progress. I was more or less confined to bed at this point, and laying on my side was the only position I was permitted to have. An internal monitor was attached to Avery’s head. My contractions felt very painful in this position, and I wasn’t allowed to use any of my comfort measures because they all involved being out of bed.

I decided to get an epidural at this point because all of my tools to manage the pain without medication required mobility, which Avery’s heart rate did not respond well to. Once I said I wanted the epi, the anaesthesiologists were in my room within five minutes. When I tried to sit up to get the epi, Avery’s heart-rate did not respond well and I had to get it while lying down on the bed. Once the pain relief took effect, I could totally see why people get epidurals and don’t even try for natural birth. I felt like I could get a nap.

More decels happened. I was taken off Pitocin and restarted after Avery’s heart-rate seemed to stabilize. Within a minute of the Pitocin starting again, his heart-rate dropped dramatically and the OB team was paged urgently into the room. They checked my progress; I had made none since they last checked. At this point it was clear I needed an emergency c-section because Avery would be safer on the outside.

We were very quickly moved to the ER. I was very excited to meet my little guy. The c-section procedure was quick and painless. I requested that they did not tell me step-by-step what they were doing, and only tell me when the baby was about to be born. We were warned that c-section babies often don’t cry immediately so don’t worry if you don’t hear him right away. Well, he came out wailing. It was the most amazing sound I have ever heard in my life. It was a few minutes before I got to see him, but Keegan got to cut his cord. He was born at 12:40 am on March 19th, weighed 6lbs 5 oz and was 19 inches long.

Although I do not feel traumatized by my birth or feel overly like it was not the “right” birth experience for me, I do wish I’d been able to give birth naturally. I do feel I would have been able to deliver without pain medication if I had not lost my mobility and Avery’s heart rate was not decelerating. It turns out that his cord was around his neck so I’m not sure if anything would have made a difference in the outcome. He was perfectly healthy so I’m ever so thankful for that.

Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
April 26th, 2012, 07:06 PM
kdrew88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,471
Thanks for sharing your story!

I am so surprised (and jealous!) they let you go out to brunch! I wasn't allowed to eat anything but I did sneak a granola bar right before getting induced, haha!

I'm also surprised they let you walk around and get on the birthing ball while on pitocin. They made me stay in the bed the whole time. I agree with you that it's hard to manage the pain when you're basically stuck in one position. That's why I ended up going for the epidural as well.

As you know, I ended up with a c-section too, but it wasn't an emergency one since baby's heartrate tolerated labor well, she just wouldn't descend past my pelvic bone. Glad your c-section went so smoothly and it sounds like you've had a great recovery too!

First Time Mommy to Tatum Elaine born March 10th, 2012. 8 lbs, 9 oz, 21 inches long
Reply With Quote
April 30th, 2012, 08:33 AM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 964
Our hospital is amazing, I can't say it enough. They did everything they could to accommodate my birth plan...I think that's the biggest reason I don't feel badly about my birth experience reality versus the experience I hoped I'd have.

Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0