Log In Sign Up

Mia Annelise's birth story...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2012, 10:26 AM
JesSsica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: northern Indiana
Posts: 1,233
Mia's birth story...
I went into the hospital on Tuesday, March 27th at 5:30pm to prep my cervix for a Wednesday morning induction. I was going to have Cervadil gel put on my cervix for 12 hours since it wasn't soft enough yet to start the induction. I was 6 days overdue. My dh, Pat, and I arrived at the hospital, I filled out some paperwork and the nurse hooked me up to monitors to monitor the baby's heart rate and any contractions I may be having. Within minutes the baby's heart rate decelled. The nurse was only mildly concerned because she said the baby could have been squeezing the umbilical cord and it may mean nothing. She had me lay on my side to see if this would keep the baby's heart rate from decelerating. We sat in the room with me on the monitors for a few hours and then around 9pm the baby had another heart deceleration.

The nurse came back into the room and said they had ordered the gel to be delivered at 9pm but since the baby had another heart decel they decided to wait awhile longer. I laid on my other side for awhile and the baby's heart rate looked very good. At midnight a resident came in and placed the gel on my cervix and we tried to sleep.

Pat and I slept terribly that night-- we just tossed and turned. At 8am the doctor on call came into the room to check me. He must not have looked at my chart to see that the gel wasn't put on until midnight because he whipped the gel out after only 8 hours, checked my cervix, and said I had not changed at all. He mentioned something about possibly proceeding with Pitocin to start contractions anyway and left the room. We sat in the room for two hours just waiting-- we assumed we were waiting for Pitocin.

At 10am the nurse came in and asked what had happened when the doctor was in the room. We filled her in but it felt a little frustrating because it was like no one was reading my chart. She admitted he pulled the gel out too soon and told us that the other doctor in the practice was now on call and was on his way to the hospital but had to finish in surgery first. She said all of the nurses just love him and I'll be in very good hands. She told me to take a shower and sent Pat down to eat breakfast. She snuck me in some crackers, jello, and water because I hadn't eaten since 5pm the night before. I took a shower and waited for Pat to come back. In the meantime the nurse came back in and said they needed the room so they were going to take me up to labor and delivery to get Cytotec put on my cervix to continue to try to soften my cervix.

I was worried that they were going to send me home since my body wasn't responding but she said they wouldn't send me home because I was a week overdue. Pat came back from breakfast and they wheeled me up to the birthing suite. The nurse gave me this little packaged gift as an apology for the gel being pulled out too soon, us having to sit and wait for answers so long, and for no one really knowing what was going on with me that morning.

We got settled into the new room and a resident placed the Cytotec on my cervix and said I was dilated to 2cm. The waiting game began. In the meantime the baby kept having heart decellerations so the nurse was having me try lots of different positions to see which way the baby was the "happiest".

The doctor arrived at 11:30am and I was already having contractions about 4 minutes apart but I wasn't really feeling them. He checked me and said I was starting to dilate more and was 75% effaced. He said I could have an epidural anytime since I was committed to having a baby. Also in the event that the baby's heart rate really plummetted I would be numb and ready for a c-section in a hurry if need be.

As the afternoon went on two of my sisters and my Mom showed up to sit with Pat and I. The baby's heart rate for the most part was good with the occasional deceleration. I continued to slowly dilate. I got the epidural in the afternoon and initially it was really good. I felt nothing but slight pressure with the contractions. The doctor tried to break my water on two different occasions but each time the baby's head was right up against the sac so he couldn't use the hook to break the water.
Everytime they checked me I would be another centimeter dilated. I told them all to go down and get something to eat. After dinnertime the baby's heart started decelling again as she started to move her way down towards the birth canal. The new nurse assigned to me continued to have me change positions. She put me in a sitting position in the bed with pillows to my sides and I started feeling lots and lots of pressure. I assumed this meant that the baby was starting to engage. The pressure got worse and worse. They checked me and I was only around 6 or 7 cm. This surprised me with the amount of pressure I was feeling.

The pressure started turning to pain and my sister who is a nurse encouraged me to share this with the nurse. The pain was weird though because my legs were numb and I was numb above my belly button. Below my belly button to the crease of my legs was really, really hurting. I tried pushing the button for more meds and the increase in medication did nothing.

The nurse came in to catheterize me because I was on a lot of fluids and I felt it. I told her it was really hurting. She called the anethesiologist to come in an give me more meds. We had to wait for a new anethesiologist to come in since the other's shift was over. In the meantime I had to start breathing through my contractions they hurt so bad.

The anesthesiologist came in and tried to give me more meds. He said that it would take 15 minutes to work. I watched the clock and breathed through my contractions. Twenty-two minutes later it hadn't touched the pain. Three more times they tried to add more meds over the next couple of hours. It didn't help at all and at this point I was experiencing natural childbirth.

I was told it was rare to have two epidurals but they decided I needed a new one. The anesthesiologist came in at 1am and gave me a new epidural. It was awful. I was tired, scared because of the baby's heart decellerations, and hurting so bad. Sitting still was almost impossible because I was so far dilated and the contractions hurt so bad.

Once the epidural was in I felt relief right away. Unfortunately the baby wasn't in great shape because the lower she got in my pelvis, the worse her heart rate looked. The doctor finally got my water to break and there was a little meconium in the fluid.

Pat went in to use the bathroom and when he came out the doctor and 9 other people had come into the room. The computer that showed the baby's heart rate and my contractions was hooked up to the nurses station and obviously the baby's heart rate sparked concern so a crowd of people came into my room. At this point my blood pressure had dropped. I was shaking really bad. They started pumping tons of fluid into me and decided it was time.

The doctor asked me what was the quickest I had ever pushed a baby out. I told him about 20-25 minutes. He told me I had to push this baby out in five minutes and to push with all of my might. I was only dilated to 8cm but he opened me up and dilated me the rest of the way with his hands. He told me to push as hard as I could. I pushed harder than I had energy to over and over. The baby wasn't moving down fast enough. He tried using the vaccum but he kept getting my "floppy" cervix in with the baby's head so that wasn't working. Everytime I pushed, the baby's heart rate would drop. I was starting to get emotional and really worried and Pat just held my hand and kept telling me to look at him and not to worry. He was wonderful and didn't show his fear to me. Dr. McGuire just sat and stared at the monitor. When he watched the monitor, the whole team of people in the room with me watched the monitor too. It was really scary. The baby wasn't tolerating my pushing at all.

He finally looked at me after about five minutes of unsuccessfully pushing and said that he wanted to continue to push in the operating room just in case they needed to do a C-section. They unhooked my monitors, gave Pat some paper scrubs to put on, and wheeled me down to the operating room. Mom and my sisters were just standing there staring and they all looked so concerned. The ride down to the operating room was surreal. I just stared at the ceiling. I was just numb. I never expected that the baby would be in trouble. I just wanted her out safely. I didn't care what they had to do to me.

They stopped my bed in the OR and Pat came in. They got me hooked back up. The doctor appeared in a scrubs and was just watching the monitors again. After another minute he said he didn't want to try to push, they needed the baby out as soon as possible. They had me slide over to the operating table to prep me for surgery. Nurses and doctors were hurrying around the room. The anesthesiologist was telling me what was going to happen and I don't even remember what he told me. Pat came in and grabbed my hand. I just looked at him. Before I could say anything to him they had already put the drape in place, shaved me, and had my belly smeared with Betadine.
The doctor took the scalpel and poked my belly with it. He said, "Jessica, do you feel this?" I did! I said, "YES" as loud as I could. I think I was wanting to make it perfectly clear that I wasn't numb enough! The anesthesiologist told the doctor that it would take 6 minutes for him to get me numb. The doctor said, "We don't have six minutes, put her under". A nurse who was standing above me told me that I was going to feel a burning sensation in my IV. I remember asking her a question and looking at her looking down at me but I have no memory of what that question was. The next thing I know I was in the recovery room and so sleepy...

Pat said that after they told me that I would feel a burning sensation in my arm they told him he had to step out. He looked back at me and saw that they were intubating me and they pushed him out of the room. Less than five minutes later they told him that he could come back in and meet his daughter. She was fine! The doctor held her for a bit and walked around talking to her which I thought was sweet.

Pat was able to cut the remainder of the cord and took some pictures of her before she was even cleaned up. He was able to watch them weigh her and then he held her for the first time. They finally let Mom and my sisters in the room and they were all able to get pictures and hold her. I remember none of this because I was in and out from the anesthesia.

The first memory I have is someone holding Mia next to my face. I got my first look at her. Then I remember that they let her nurse with me laying down. Then I remember looking at Pat and saying, "I just want to go to bed". I remember the time was around 3am. I was so absolutely groggy and exhausted I couldn't keep my eyes open and kept fading in and out.

They finally moved us to our room at 5am. They took the baby down to be cleaned and checked over, and they also wanted to check her length. The nurse tried to explain some things to me and I have no memory of what she told me. I remember another nurse coming in and waking me up at 6am, 7am, and 8am. Each time my eyes would barely stay open and I kept telling her that I was just so tired. I have no idea what she told me.

I gave up trying to sleep closer to 9am and pushed the call button for them to bring the baby in. She was absolutely beautiful! All of the trouble and all of the problems with my labor were totally worth it! The doctor got her out safely! I was so glad she was finally here and just perfect and beautiful! I finally got to hold her and kiss her!

Mia Annelise was born March 29, 2012 at 1:43am via emergency C-section. She was 7lbs, 6oz and 20 3/4" long.
~*~ Jessica ~*~
Mom to:
Madison Rey 11-24-2000
Cole Anthony 5-23-2002
Mia Annelise 3-29-2012

^angel^ 10wks, 2 days, D&C 12wks, 3 days 11-2-09
^angel^ 5wks, 5 days 1-2-10
^angel^ 11wks, 1 day 5-22-10 with D&C
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0