The very long story of beauden's birth

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 26th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Lovemykiddos!'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Lovemykiddos!
Iím going to start out Beaudenís birth story on the day before his birth. DH and I had been talking about everybody needing new shoes. (everyone except me no way I was trying on shoes with the big swollen clods I was walking on) So I took DD to Lincoln to go shoe shopping. It took us 3 different famous footwear stores before we found the twinkle toes in her size that she wanted (**** television). We had lunch with my mom at her restaurant, and headed home. When DH got home from work, I insisted we go to Columbus and get him and DS1 shoes as well. He wanted to stay home and relax, but for some reason I wouldnít have it. So we packed up the kids and headed north. We got DH some shoes, and DS1 after going to another 3 shoes stores. Then decided to hit up Walmart since I still hadnít officially finished packing our hospital bag. I got the notion in my head that I wanted my push present right then. No ifís no andís no butís. DH relented and got me a keurig. (im really not usually very pushy I didnít know what had gotten into me that night) We got dinner (fast food, I actually only got a milk shake I hate fast food) and headed home. DH and DTD simply because I promised him that once I was at 37 weeks and out of the fear of another early baby I would stop holding out on him. Honestly when you are the size of a house, itís not really for your own pleasure lol.

At exactly 5am I woke up to a very painful and obvious contraction. Not really thinking it was that big of a deal since I had been having contractions for the last few weeks anyways I decided to go ahead and get up. I wanted to get the house clean during the weekend and we wanted to take the kids to the zoo that afternoon. As I was setting up my new keurig for some super awesome coffee and chomping on a donut I realized the contractions had not gotten lighter and seemed to be very regular. So I pulled up my iphone contraction timing app. By 7 I realized they were every 3 minutes, and by now it had been 2 hours. Since with my last 2 births they were very short I started freaking out. With DS I started contracting at 230 and had him at 830 with DD I started contracting at noon and had her at 450. Now I was already 2 hours in. I somehow made it up the stairs and woke up DH and told him we were going to the hospital at David City (small hospital where our family DR practices) confusedly he asked why. I explained that I was pretty sure the baby would be here any minuteÖ..that got him up and going. He packed the rest of our bag while I slowly went down the stairs and got the other kids into the van. By the time we got to the hospital it was 9. I seriously thought for sure they would monitor me and send me home and make me feel silly. Nope. They checked me and I was a 4 and had a lot of bloody show. And now the contractions were every 2 minutes. HMMM guess im staying lol. The nurse asked if I wanted an epidural, and I told her I had no intention of feeling any pain, but that at the moment it didnít really hurt at all. So she called the anesthesiologist and let him know to come out asap. My family DR was afraid the baby was going to be here before the anesthesiologist could make it from Columbus given the history of my past labors. (the hospital is so small they donít have their own lol) The nurse checked me again at 930 when I told her that while nothing was really hurting their was a lot of pressure in my vagina like I needed to pee but couldnít get it out. (not the pooping sensation you get from needing to push) the nurse gloved up and went in to check it out, as soon as she attempted to see how far dilated I was, she was immediately drenched in my bag of waters. (donít laugh lol this is the 2nd time this has happened to me it happened with DSís labor too) after jumping and eyes the size of saucers she checked me again and I was at a 6 and fully effaced. The DR and the nurse were super quiet though. I asked what was wrong and the dr said the bag of waters was strange. When I asked him to elaborate (I assumed maybe mechonium) he said it was bloody. When they change m y bed liners I understood. It was BRIGHT RED. I started freaking out. The DR left to go phone my Peri and ask him what he thought.
At this point my mom, her BF, and the dreaded MIL show up. Not wanting to be near her, I asked the nurse if she minded if DH and I walked the halls, not that I thought I needed it but I didnít want the MIL at the birth of my son ruining my last labor and birth experience. I amazingly walked for an hour, I was shocked I didnít think I would make it another hour before the baby came. So I got back to the room and the nurse let me know I could get my epi if I wanted it. I figured sure why not. It was 11 at this time. She checked me real quick just to make sure I wasnít ready to push though I assured her I wasnít. To my and everyone elseís surprise I was still at a 6!!I got my epi, and my Dr said he assumed that maybe the epi would relax me and I would dilate a bit more. Every hour from then on the nurse came and checked on me. Still at a 6 . Around 3 the nurse decided to see if she could figure out which way the baby was facing. After hanging out in my lady bits for quite a long time, she decided he was sideways but couldnít tell if he was facing right or left. They decided to try putting me on my side and see if he would rotate. An hour later it hadnít helped. They tried the other side. An hour later, still no change. She then decided to try and put me on my hands and knees. Very funny when one side of my body is so numb that I canít wiggle my toes but the other side is only slightly numb and I have full mobility. So her, 2 nurses and DH held me up on my hands and knees with my bum in the air trying to get him to move for another 30 minutes. Still nothing. My Dr came in and teased me that I wasnít going to have a fast labor this time. Ummm DUH thanks DOC! This was at 530. The DR checked me and said that I was at a 5 now, my cervix was closing ***!!! He told me that with my permission he would attempt to manually rotate the baby to see if he would descend facing a better direction. I agreed. Soooo my doctor shoved BOTH HANDS IN UP TO MID FORARM. Yeah Iím not kidding. He attempted to push the baby out of the birth canal and rotate him. He did this for about 15 minutes. Afterwards he didnít think he was successful. He talked to me about a C-Section. I relented. I just wanted my baby here healthy, and by now all the man handling and the being stuck in my birth canal was stressing him out. He told me that it would take an hour for the OR to be prepped unless it became an emergency and then it would be 5 minutes. But IF for some reason at anytime I felt the pressure of needing to push to let him know and we would try pushing. Right about then my EPI had worn off. I didnít care since the anesthesiologist was going to be changing it so that I could have a C-Sec anyways. The OR nurse came in and shaved and disinfected my lower abdomen. At about 620 the nurse checked me, I was still at 5-6. Suddenly kid you not 5 minutes later I felt the pooping sensation!! The nurse was still there and I asked her to check again, she laughed and said of course. (she was an awesome nurse) She checked me and shrieked, screaming I was at a 10. She jumped up and down all sorts of excited. She ran to get the Dr. He came in and checked to make sure, and laughed and told me my baby is a trouble maker. He put the stirrups up and asked if my EPI was still working. I hadnít thought of that, ****. I told him no and asked if I could push the button for a new dose, he said no that we needed to either push now or head to the OR cuz suddenly Beaudenís heart rate started decelerating and we had reached that point where it was going to be an emergency C-Sec if I didnít push him out now. At this point is when MIL decided to start being a *****, she had been sitting in a chair in the corner of the room minding her own business before. She attempted to usher DS1 and DD out of the room so they wouldnít see the birth. After we had already explained to everyone that both kids were allowed to stay and watch if they wished. I screamed bloody murder at her to get the **** away from my kids. I screamed at DH to pick up DD and keep his mother away from her. He did this and then it was push time. The Dr told me to curl up and push, counting to 10. At 7 noticed he was holding the babyís head and preventing him from coming out further. His cord was wrapped around his head twice. He had it unwrapped quickly by the time I was at 10. I pushed again and by the time we were at 5, he was out!! (I think I could have done it with 1 push if his cord hadnít been wrapped around his neck so much! He was born at 6:34.

They put him on my tummy and rubbed him a bit to stimulate him. After he cried for a few seconds they took him to evaluate him. (since I was 37 weeks and a day they were worried) but at 20Ē and 7lbs even they decided he was great and was at term. They blew just a bit of oxygen in his face to encourage him to breath because of his fast descent through the birth canal it was possible he could have some fluid in his lungs. They wrapped him up and gave him back to me.

So thatís his birth story.

As a slight continuance, at 830 I noticed he was blue, he had already been a bit blue because he was stuck in the birth canal and had some bruising. But this was a different blue, it was in his fingers and toes and his lips. I called the nurse, and she decided to check his pulse ox. He was rating at a 30% (normal being 92-100) This is where the freak out mode starts. My Dr came in and checked him and decided to do chest x-rays. His heart was enlarged and his lungs didnít look right. He called the Dr he knows at the St. Elizabethís NICU in Lincoln. They sent an emergency transport team to the hospital to take my baby in the hope of saving his life. The nurses at my hospital had put him on regular room air (thatís the best they could do with what they had available) and I didnít get to see him for another 15 hours. DH followed the transport to be with him.
The next morning instead of getting my tubal done, my DR released me from the hospital and my MIL took me to Lincoln. (my mom had my other kids) The Dr there explained that he had been born with a rare disorder that causes infant respitory distress syndrome. He had NO surfactent in his lungs. A baby born after 30 weeks usually has some, and there is a valve in his heart that hadnít closed. This valve sends the oxygen going to the fetus to the placenta. It is supposed to close at birth to allow the oxygen to go into his lungs. It was a double whammy. Then to make it worse 2 days later he developed pneumonia. The DR assured me time and time again there was nothing we could have done to prevent it. The only thing that MIGHT have helped was if I had gotten an amniocentesis, they would have seen that there was no surfactent and that his lungs would never be ready, so I could have delivered at a hospital with a NICU. I was actually supposed to. But with my extremely fast labors, I was afraid I would deliver on the side of the highway so I went to the small hospital instead. (also expecting to be sent home not believing I was really in labor)
From there we watched my baby boy fight for his life for the next couple weeks. It took him 2.5 weeks to be considered and G&G (gainer and grower) and at 3 weeks he finally came home! He came home at 7lbs 6.9oz and 22Ē long .
May 26th, 2012, 10:28 AM
This is at the time I realized he was turning blue

He also hadn't woken up or tried to nurse at all which set off huge alarms. All my babies love boobs and have latched on within minutes of birth. (which happened the first time I was able to offer the breast in the NICU)
Waiting for the NICU transport team

On the oscillating ventilator (it pushes out something like 900 breaths a min)

Home on air
May 26th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Farmers-wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow. I am so glad you noticed and didn't ignore it. I likely would have. So happy he is ok.

What was the bright red blood about?
May 26th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Oh lol guess I forgot about that part in the story haha. Turns out I had some tumors in my uterus. I ended up with a hysterectomy at 7 weeks PP. they didnt know that was the problem at the time though. My uterus wouldn't go down it was still 3x the size it should have been and I had developed an infection. So out it went I jut got the test results back a couple weeks ago and they were benign
May 26th, 2012, 07:47 PM
Babytooth's Avatar Coral
Wow... An incredible story! How are you guys doing now? Is Beauden feeling OK? Poor little guy. I can't believe he had to go through all that at such an early age. I would have been a wreck!

My little guy also has a hole in his heart because of a septum that didn't close properly at birth. Doctors say it is not a huge deal and that it can be repaired later but it's still scary stuff.

I hope all turns out great for you guys!!
Thanks for posting!!

May 26th, 2012, 11:51 PM
He's doing much better now thanks! I was def a wreck the whole time. No matter what I did I felt like I was abandoning someone at some point. Whether it was leaving my baby on the NICU to see my older kids or leaving my older kids at home to be with Beauden. (I lived in a hotel for the 3 weeks cuz we live an hour from the hospital) I think that was the hardest thing.

Beauden's heart is now repaired, the combination of drugs they gave him closed the valve. He was just a day away from surgery to repair it if it didn't start improving on its own.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search