Terra Lee's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes
  • 5 Post By LJD3Tdance
  • 1 Post By MrsMommyDtobe
  • 1 Post By LindseyE117
  • 1 Post By humnck
  • 1 Post By CassieR70
  • 1 Post By duckies0
  • 1 Post By wavrunnr
  • 1 Post By lnj5duke
  • 1 Post By PaxtonsMom
  • 1 Post By Mommy-to-2
  • 1 Post By BlessedMommyx
  • 1 Post By Jasmine.
  • 1 Post By gingerrae
  • 1 Post By Carwen*Angel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 29th, 2012, 08:47 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Well, I figure if I write it now, I'll forget less of it. I may be wrong though because I realize I had some of the facts messed up yesterday already.

Of course after struggling with induction decision I decided the depression I get at the end of pregnancy and the pre-labor stuff combined with the ease of knowing my other kids would be more scheduled and everything ready made the induction really a no-brainer. I had after all already had 2 successful inductions plus another labor that started on its own but was augmented with pitocin, so what was it I was so worried about? Probably just the depression getting in the way.

However, at 6am when I was running around getting ready to leave for my 7am induction on May 28th, (Memorial Day), I got a phone call saying I wasn't going to be induced at 7am because they were too busy, but they thought it'd still be today, they'd call me. Nothing more specific than that.

I had not had much sleep so I tried for an hour to get to sleep, no luck. So I got up, got my only kiddo that was up breakfast and dinked around on facebook before cleaning and working on some other stuff I needed to do before the induction.

About 8:15am I decided to go back to bed. I got the phone call at 10:30am telling me to be at the hospital (30 minutes away) at 11. I said that wasn't about to happen, and got them to agree to 11:30am-noon. Finished getting everything ready and took the kids to my parents.

We arrived just before noon where we were promptly ignored for the next oh, say 30 minutes, and then they checked us in, for about 30 minutes.

My midwife arrived around then to check me and make sure everything was go for the induction and discuss which method we were going with. She checked and said I was 4cm dilated, 70% effaced and at -2 station. I thought to myself, why am I not already in labor? I've always been in labor when I was at 4cm before. But, at least it sounded to me like the pitocin would probably not be a terrible option and hopefully the guess I had been given that 6 hours would be the time was going to be true.

We started the pitocin slow and didn't raise it for an hour. Time ticked by, I was mainly only feeling the contractions on the right side of my uterus. I wondered why, I even asked why. But just the way she was sitting or the way it was working I guess is the answer. At 3 hours in, I finally got checked. I was 4.5cm. 3 hours, 1/2 a cm, and she said I was now 80% effaced and Terra was at a -1 now. I was feeling a little hopeless. We had discussed the idea of even stopping, but since Terra had come down to -1 my midwife felt it safe to break my water, so she did. And I knew it was going to get more intense then, and it did.

However, at 4 hours in...I was a big 5cm...1cm in 4 hours. I was thinking, "I don't know if I'll make it here." I was emotionally drained. I was even feeling jealous of the epidural ladies who say they nap in labor. I wasn't tempted to get one, but I was trying to figure out how to get out of the bed. Terra had been a little bugger all along and had not stayed on the monitor for more than 30 minutes during the entire 4 hours. We had even switched when they broke my water to a monitor on her head, and she responded to that by actually flipping over, but I'll talk more about that later.

I tried the birthing ball, I had tried a stool while the ball was busy, I frequently went pee when I could since I've heard that helps them down. I knew the birthing ball was working because it hurt so bad to be on it. Finally I decided since it had been going so slow that I couldn't do the pain of the birthing ball if it was going to continue that slow.

I was back in bed, it is about 6:40pm, I'm nearly 6 hours into the induction now and my midwife checks me and says baby's at 0 station, I'm probably "my 100%" whatever that means...and I'm...6cm!? Freaking almost 6 hours and I've gone 2 cm. I felt a little hopeless except suddenly everything in the room is changing. They're setting up the warmer, bringing in the stuff they will put the placenta in, etc. They must know something I don't know. Cuz to me 4 cm is still a long way off after moving only 2cm in nearly 6 hours.

But they were right. At about 6:55pm, she checks again and says I'm a stretchy 8/9cm starts asking me if I've felt the urge to push in previous labors, says I'll probably feel it in one of the next few contractions and if I do, let's push. At 6:58pm, I was pushing.

In my previous two non epidural births pushing has been minimal. I had 3 pushes with LJ and with Amber cuz the OB never bothered to show, they never let me push, they made me hold her in for 20 minutes before she just stuck her head out all on her own and then they let me push her body out. So, I expected, that a few pushes after she'd be out.

However, as I mentioned earlier, Terra had flipped over from 4.5 cm to 10cm, and she was now face up. I'd done that before, but with an epidural that I'm now even more glad I had, because since she was my first and she was face up, and I just experienced this again, Idk how I would have done it without it...but that's a different story.

Terra I had to push for 8minutes. Without the epi, that hurt, but remarkably for the most part other than feeling like I wasn't getting anywhere every time we'd push, it was less painful than the last hour or so of my labor. The burning at the very end wasn't, but otherwise, I was relieved to be in the position. DH and the nurse holding my legs actually felt better than I had felt in a while.

However, Terra, wasn't liking those 8 minutes at all. Not only was she face up, but she was holding her cord by her face. So every time I contracted, it got compressed and her heart plummeted, so they put the oxygen on me, for like the final 2 minutes, before that they just made me take deep breaths in between contractions. As I pushed her out at the very end, my midwife kept telling me "little push" instead of the big ones I had done to get her out at first cuz apparently we had to ease around her cord.

She was born at 7:06pm, weighing 7lbs 9oz and 20.5 inches. I thought her color was not good when she came out. I was worried about that. The staff however, did not seem worried, they were more busy being relieved, cuz they made it pretty clear they HAD been worried for those last 8 minutes as her heart would drop every time I contracted.

They gave her an 8 and a 9 on scores, so she must have been fine. She has scared me several times since then though because the first time she breastfed, something happened and she started crying and turned purple...all over. They blew some oxygen at her, and she breastfed fine since then every time, so I'm not sure what happened, but I was worried. And twice now she's coughed up amniotic fluid, complete with blood in it...so that was a little worrisome, since I've never seen that with the other 4 either. However, she's doing great and breastfeeding great, she just likes to make Mommy worry.

She did come out with a bruise on her head, I guess my first push she was up a little high from where my midwife was trying to deal with some scar tissue issue and bonked her head on my pubic bone. It isn't really noticeable or anything.

As for me, I tore a tiny bit along the line of a previous tear, but it was so small and lined up so perfectly she didn't even sew me up, I've never had that happen, first birth without stitches. The breastfeeding pain (from my uterus) is not fun, but actually I think possibly better than it was with Amber.

My mother missed the delivery having wanted to be there. She missed it because even though Terra came RIGHT when I said she would at almost exactly 6 hours after the induction began I had told her how slow I had been progressing so my mom was still with my dad and other kids having dinner. The shock on my parents faces when they realized I was holding a baby and not having a baby when they walked in was kind of priceless.

Alright, I've gone on long enough. Thanks for reading

May 29th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
What a great story!! So glad Terra is here and doing well!
LJD3Tdance likes this.

May 29th, 2012, 09:30 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Oh wow, I would have been terrified too with all that was going on! I am glad that she is here and well though! She is gorgeous too btw!!
LJD3Tdance likes this.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
May 29th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am so glad that you went so quickly once you hit that point, I would have been just as discouraged, having only gone 2 cm in 6 hours! And I am glad that all turned out well for your induction and her birth in the end. THanks for sharing the story so early And congratulations, she is beautiful!!
LJD3Tdance likes this.

May 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Super Mommy
I feel so much better after reading your story because this will be my first induction and I was worried about not having an epi.....thank you so much for sharing the details.

I'm so happy that your baby is here and you won't have to deal with the depression anymore. Get lots of rest and take care of yourself
LJD3Tdance likes this.

May 29th, 2012, 10:35 AM
duckies0's Avatar Maggie's Mommy
Great story, Christen! So glad baby Terra is here and healthy. She really is beautiful. Can't wait to see and hear more!
LJD3Tdance likes this.

May 29th, 2012, 11:29 AM
wavrunnr's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
great story!! Sorry that your mom missed the birth. Glad Miss Terra is doing so good!
LJD3Tdance likes this.

Mommy to 2 miracle IVF daughters and a miracle baby boy conceived without any medical assistance!!!!
May 29th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Haha, I guess you're proof of that "every pregnancy/labor is different" thing, lol!!!!
LJD3Tdance likes this.
May 29th, 2012, 02:55 PM
PaxtonsMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is awesome that your staff really seemed to have a handle on what was going on!! She is gorgeous!!
LJD3Tdance likes this.

May 29th, 2012, 08:18 PM
Mommy-to-2's Avatar Veteran
love reading birth stories! Congrats!!
LJD3Tdance likes this.

May 29th, 2012, 08:26 PM
BlessedMommyx's Avatar Stephanie
Awee!!! Congratulations!!!!
LJD3Tdance likes this.

May 30th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Jasmine.'s Avatar Mommy to Kay & Kennedy!
Great story! Little Terra is full of surprises! Congrats on your baby girl!
LJD3Tdance likes this.

May 31st, 2012, 04:48 PM
gingerrae's Avatar Veteran
I wish my induction had gone as fast as yours. My little one was "sunny side up too" so glad I had the epidural especially if it's as painful as you say.
LJD3Tdance likes this.
May 31st, 2012, 11:52 PM
I've just never pushed very long without an epi, so it hurts

June 9th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Carwen*Angel's Avatar Fly away on my zephyr
Send a message via MSN to Carwen*Angel
Congratulations honey, and here's to swift healing for you xxx
LJD3Tdance likes this.

June 11th, 2012, 02:00 AM
Thanks, this actually has been a better healing than the last two for sure. And I didn't feel like those were bad or anything, I'm feeling pretty lucky so far. I have a 2 week appointment tomorrow, hope she thinks I'm doing well

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search