The birth of Bennett William <3

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Blue_Jar_Mama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 2nd, 2012, 11:05 AM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Baby is napping so I figured I better type this up while it's still fresh in my memory.

Wednesday May 30, I went to my 38 week appointment. I have been seen by a midwife at a birthing center the entire pregnancy. There had previously been two midwives, a few weeks after she left the board of directors decided one midwife could not do it all alone. They decided to suspend births at the center starting June 4 at 7am. Bad news for me!! So, at the 38 week appointment we talked about trying to naturally (not with any drug) help me go into labor sooner. She checked me and I was 3-4cm 80% effaced so she swept my membranes for me. She was able to stretch me to like 5cm, and baby was -1 station. All good signs!! I went on to my NST as usual and hoped I would see her later! I left the center at about 3pm feeling fine.

I went to Walmart, got gas and pizza for hubby and the kids. By the time I left Pizza Hut I was noticing these pesky little contractions I'd had since she swept my membranes were getting stronger. To the point I would stop moving and just be really still. So I went home, we ate dinner and waited around. I could not decide whether to call my midwife or not because I was totally fine with the pain level and really did not think this was "it". I felt like these were probably cramps from being stretched and her stripping me membranes. It started to get dark and my mother in law lives an hour away so we called her to come watch the kids so I could be checked. We didn't want to wait until the middle of the night, so we decided to go see if I had dilated anymore. If not, then we had planned to come back Friday the 1st, and use a breast pump and walking to try and start labor.

I called my midwife who said to meet her there at 9pm and we'd just check to see if I was dilating any. She actually wanted to wait until they were closer together and stronger (which was my concern too) but when I reminded her that in my last two births I slept through all the dilating and contractions up until transition, she said come in. We got there at 9 like she said (I drove! lol) and went in to be checked. The center was of course closed, it was so weird being the only people there. She checked me and I was 6cm! I could not believe the baby was really coming, and mostly that I'd gotten to 6 with little discomfort. The local hospital was called and alerted that someone was delivering at the center, just in case. As well as an ambulance put on stand by for transport.

We picked our birth room (a dark sage green room with a leather recliner and oak colored queen bed) and I got on the birth ball. It's about 9:30pm at this point. Dh called my MIL to tell her we were staying. My midwife called a nurse to come soon (she just put her on stand by at this point) and started prepping our room. Everything was super relaxed and laid back. I got on the Kindle Fire and played on Facebook until close to 10pm just updating everyone that he was coming. I started to notice that they were coming much closer and I was no longer able to scroll FB during the contractions. I had to stop and breath while dh rubbed my back insanely hard. It was the only thing that felt good (which now has a HUGE bruise from his knuckles) By 10 my midwife had called the nurse back and told her to come right away. Thankfully she lived just 5 minutes away.

From this point everything just went REALLY quick. I knew he was coming and that I was already in transition. I asked to get on the bed and sat really upright (thank God I did not have to lay flat) I was still wearing my regular clothes at this point when I felt like my water had broke. But it was blood, very thick. My bag was bulging a LOT so my midwife said we should break my water to help him move down and relieve some of that pressure (which is did) when we broke the water, his fluid was slightly bloody as well. I tried not to worry but obviously had never had that happen before. I immediately needed to push and was told to push when and how often I needed which was nice. No counting, nobody touching my legs or poking at me. Everyone was just sitting on my bed around me waiting.

I gave 3 or 4 good pushes and he just slid right out! It was so amazing and the best feeling of my life to feel him slip out and the contractions end instantly. He was immediately laid on my chest (well, stomach...his cord was short) and screamed his head off. He was so tiny but had a huge set of lungs. We waited for his cord to stop pulsing, then dh cut it and then the placenta was out. You forget that thing is about as big as a head coming out! lol

Baby was pink and perfect with no concerns at all. Nursing like a champ! I had one tiny tear but did not require any sewing or anything. He latched on right away. I had GD while pregnant so he had to have his sugar checked three times before we went home but his sugar was perfect. He maintained it well. We got to go home 6 hours after the birth and it was so nice to go home and take a hot shower in my own house, put clothes on and snuggle my baby. Totally different from a hospital birth. I loved every second of it, and really can't believe it's over! We still don't really know why I bled so much during the labor or why baby's fluid had blood in it. It's possible it was meconium (which can be bloody sometimes instead of green) But my bleeding afterwards was very minimal so there was no worry of hemorrhaging for me and baby was great. Nothing in the lungs. I guess we'll never know because I am never doing it again! LOL I'm so happy that I got my birthing center birth. It was so relaxed and calm. Exactly how I imagined it. We did not do any eye drops, shots, circ or anything and nothing was questioned. Everything was totally our choice. The way it should be!

Bennett William
May 30, 2012
6lbs 5.5oz 20 inches
38 weeks 2 days gestation

gingerrae and JoyfulChaosMama like this.

Girl (12), Boy (9), Boy (4), Boy (2)
Expecting Baby #5 Christmas Eve 2014 TEAM PINK!!

~Audrey Elizabeth~

Last edited by Blue_Jar_Mama; June 4th, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
June 2nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
RachaelDMommaTo3's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to RachaelDMommaTo3 Send a message via Yahoo to RachaelDMommaTo3
Awesome birth story!! I'm so happy you got the birth that you wanted!

June 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Ali and Jillybeans mom :)
that sounds like an amazing experience. i loved your story
June 2nd, 2012, 04:35 PM
Jasmine.'s Avatar Mommy to Kay & Kennedy!
Great birth story! Congrats on your baby boy! He's adorable.

June 4th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Platinum Supermommy
He is adorable! And I am glad you got the birth you wanted

June 6th, 2012, 04:49 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I always have my dh rubbing on me, but I've never been bruised, that's sad and funny at the same time.

Glad that blood wasn't anything bad or anything.

Congrats!

June 8th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Mommy-to-2's Avatar Veteran
awesome story!!! congrats!

June 9th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Amazona's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Aww loved every word of it!!
Now I can't wait to see my little guy too
So, so glad it all went like you expected and he is such a beautiful baby!!

June 12th, 2012, 03:21 PM
Anxious New Mommy
Sounds like an amazing birth! And I totally cracked up at the placenta part..very true!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search