Skarlette Ruth Elowynn's Birth Story!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Zoii

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 10th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Preggo Foster Momma!
I had been having contractions and been very progressed for two weeks. Our obstetric doctor thought for sure we would be having the baby Memorial Day weekend because I was more progressed than “the past 30 first time mom’s right before they went into labor.” I continued having bouts of contractions the next two weeks, consistent, but then stopping completely! It was very frustrating for us!

June 1st, we went to have two tests done at the hospital. A non-stress test, and an ultrasound to check Skarlette’s water levels. Both tests showed normal, however, borderline. She was also very small, measuring especially small in her abdomen. These factors had been concerning for our doctor and he said that on Monday we would be discussing inducement.

We came home and went for a long walk. We called these walks “Daddy Boot Camp” because even during a contraction, Jeremiah would push me to continue walking! However, this time- I didn’t have ONE contraction. I did say that it felt odd to walk downhill though!

A few hours later, I started having contractions again, but we didn’t think much of them. We figured it was just like the times before and it would stop eventually. We didn’t even bother timing them. It was opening night for the movie, Snow White and the Huntsman, and it was a movie Jeremiah and I both wanted to see, so we saw a late 10:30pm showing. I was having contractions pretty regularly throughout. In a two hour movie, I lost count after six. Some of them I had to breathe through, which must have been pretty distressing for the young guy sitting next to me in the very crowded, sold-out theater! We came home and went to bed, even though I was still contracting.

At 8:15am, I awoke to a very painful contraction. It was painful enough, that I woke up Jeremiah and told him not to worry, but I just had a strong one and I’m not sure if it meant anything. He wanted to time them, I told him not to, that it was probably nothing. After a few more contractions, two-three minutes apart I told him I thought I JUST NEEDED TO GO TO THE BATHROOM! Then I told him I wanted to take a shower to see if I could get the “Braxton Hicks” to stop. They didn’t stop, as a matter of fact, they got stronger, and I still wasn’t convinced. At this point, Jeremiah insisted that we track. He told me, “We will try to track 20 minutes sitting, 20 minutes walking, and see what happens.”

We start tracking the contractions on Jeremiah’s phone application. We have used this application many times before. It gives a progress bar that will tell you when it thinks you might be in pre-labor, etc. It’s never done any notifications for us in the past. After sitting down tracking for about ten minutes, alarms on his phone start going off! We look at the screen, “TRANSITION LABOR DETECTED, GET IN ROUTE TO THE HOSPITAL NOW!” Jeremiah says, “Uh oh, let’s go!” I’m still not convinced; electronics can be faulty, right?!

All of a sudden I hear Jeremiah calling our doctor. I tell him not to! “I don’t want to be embarrassed if I just have to the bathroom! Let’s just go to Labor & Delivery!” He hangs up and gets me to get in the car and asks me to at least call L & D to let them know that I am on the way. I call, and tell them that I MIGHT be in labor, having contractions two-three minutes apart, but that I thought I just had to go to the bathroom! She told me just to come in and get checked out.

We got to the hospital at 9:45am, my contractions were getting very strong at this point and I was very uncomfortable. I was starting to believe that something was happening, but was hoping that we hadn’t gotten to the hospital too early. The nurse was trying to put the monitors on me, but had to keep stopping because of my contractions and pain. She instead checked me.

“Oh yeah, today is the day sweetie! You are 5 centimeters dilated, the baby’s head is VERY low. Let’s get you admitted!” They then monitored the baby for a while in triage to make sure everything was going okay with Skarlette.

Before taking me to my room, they asked me if I wanted to walk or take a wheel chair. I told them I wanted to walk! I stopped every two minutes or so to breathe through the ever intensifying contractions. The only thing distracting me at this point was the nurse’s very cute, purple shoes! Random, I know! (I told her about it later!)

When we got to the room at about 10:50am , she checked me again. Eight centimeters dilated! I asked how long it would be before I got to meet my daughter. They told me it could still be HOURS! This made me panic! My contractions were already so intense, and I was terrified they were going to get worse. I had planned on a completely unmedicated labor, but opted for the epidural.

I received the epidural at 11:45am. Which was an instant relief! I was now joking around with the nursing staff, anesthesiologist, and Jeremiah. At this point our doctor walked into the door and saw me smiling! “It hurts, doesn’t it!?” He asked about my progress. He checked me as well and said he could see my water bulging and opted to pop it. There was meconium in the water so he got NICU on standby just in case, since she was already a somewhat high-risk delivery from possible issues found on the tests.

After a while, I felt the epidural was wearing off. I kept pressing the button they gave me, but the pressure and pain in my back was getting worse! The nurse said she was going to check me again.
“OH MY, There’s a baby head!” As she was about ready to call our doctor to tell him I was complete and ready to push, he walked into the door.

•First Push: Nurse told me to bear down for a “practice push”, and said I was a great pusher! Our doctor said he could see the baby coming down the canal, so he left to go glove up. The nurse was monitoring the baby’s vitals on the screen and told me that if I felt another contraction, to go ahead and push!

•Second Push: I felt the baby head come out! I looked around, no one was paying attention! “Umm, BABY HEAD!” Jeremiah looked down, “Yep, there’s a head there!” Nurse says, “Uh oh!” Doctor runs over ready to go! Her heart rate dropped so NICU was called into the room.

•Third Push: Baby has arrived! On June 2nd, 2012 at 12:49pm, Skarlette made her QUICK entrance into the world!

Apgar scores 8 & 10! She came out screaming! NICU was unneeded! She was immediately placed on my chest and put there for the first hour of her life where we got to bond and try breastfeeding for the first time. Jeremiah got to cut the cord, just like he wanted. We cried, smiled and laughed staring at our beautiful newborn daughter! Such an amazing experience!

Skarlette Ruth Elowynn
6/2/2012 @ 12:49PM
5lbs 6oz ---- 17 in

gingerrae likes this.
June 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Jasmine.'s Avatar Mommy to Kay & Kennedy!
Loved your birth story! Congrats, she is beautiful!

June 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM
LIZZYI's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Beautiful story!

June 11th, 2012, 01:58 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
I enjoyed your whole birth story. Congrats again. I missed the top photo previously, very cute

June 11th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I commented on another post of this, but wanted to say it again Congrats and thanks for sharing, great story! She is just such a perfect little bundle

June 21st, 2012, 04:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lovely story and lovely pictures! Congrats Jaana, very happy for you!!

June 22nd, 2012, 06:48 AM
Super Mommy
Love your birth story! so sweet, congrats!
June 22nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Mommy-to-2's Avatar Veteran
loved your story!! Skara is beautiful!!

August 2nd, 2012, 08:05 PM
hotpinktulips's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats you two, she is beautiful.

~Special thanks to *Kiliki* for my adorable siggy~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search