Log In Sign Up

Layne's surprise delivery

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Shadeauxe

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 12th, 2012, 09:40 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,741
Well I have been so busy with a NICU baby lately that I have not had time to write my birth story. I kept telling myself that I would write it as soon as he came home, but I now realize that it would be better to get it done before he gets home. So here it goes:

Starting around 3pm on May 30th, I started feeling sick to my stomach like I was coming down with a virus. My stomach was burning like I was having an ulcer flare up (which is normal for me because of my stomach issues). So I took a Tums and laid down until the hubby got home. I felt so sick when he got home that I could not even eat dinner. I had a handful of cracker and some water and that was it. Sleeping was horrible that night. I kept waking up thinking I was going to throw up and tossing and turning. I did manage to sleep some, but it was very few and far in between. I got up with the hubby at 6am whining about my stomach, so I took another Tums and washed it down with water. I was able to fall back asleep for another hour.

I woke up around 7am in severe burning pain. I called my doctor’s office (the call service as they did not open until 9am) and they told me to head into L&D. So I called L&D and they told me to go to the ER because it did not sound like labor but a stomach virus. I called my husband crying telling him to come home to get me and bring me into the hospital. He got home right at 9am though, so I called my doctor’s office again (to save us a trip to the ER) and got in right away.

As some of you may know, I had a lot of complications this pregnancy. I had severe GD that required daily meds to control. I also had high levels of fluid and a breech baby, which it seems was all due to my diabetes. When the doctor checked me, I was contracting every 2 to 3 minutes apart and I was dilating (I had my regular appointment the day before and I was only 1cm and 0% effaced, so she could tell immediately that I was in labor). I was 37w and 2 d pregnant. I was sent immediately to the hospital as I was extremely high risk for a prolapsed cord with all my fluid and a high breech baby. I was getting an emergency c-section whether I was ready or not.

I got to the hospital around 10am and I was rushed into a room and prepped for surgery. They put an IV in, shaved my belly (that was news to me), gave me IV meds and some nasty liquid to prevent vomiting on the table, among other things. My doctor got there around 11:45am and I was taken back to the OR. I got my spinal and I was restrained to the table. I panicked. I have severe anxiety disorder, so the numb feeling and being tied down did not sit well with me. Plus they had my blood pressure cuff way too tight so every time it went off my arm went completely numb and my hand clawed up due to lack of blood flow. It was terrible. I begged and begged for a valium and I kept getting told no. Lol. Once they started (and me still panicking) the hubby was allowed in to sit with me. That helped me out a lot. I was able to breathe easier. He decided he wanted to peek over the sheet and saw the doctor with her arms inside of me up to her elbows. He was extremely high, which explained my trouble breathing towards the end. He also got to see him born. He thought his little butt was the sac he was in. Lol.

Layne Parker was born at 12:22pm butt first via emergency c-section. He was not breathing when he came out so they rushed him out of the room to work on him. They were able to get the fluid out of his lungs and he was returned to me in recovery less than an hour later. He was 9lbs4oz (originally told 9lbs5oz, but no biggy) and 19in long. He had a head full of dark brown hair too.

At first with all the pain meds in me I felt great. I couldn’t believe that people thought c-sections were rough. I learned my lesson quick the next day when the meds wore off and the pain kicked in. I wasn’t allowed out of bed until the next morning, and that was extremely painful.

I spent the next 3 days in the hospital with Layne in my room until Sunday when we were to be discharged. He started breathing rapidly so he was taken away from me. The doctor came in a little bit later and said he was being admitted into the NICU due to his breathing. I freaked out and made them take me to him right away. Poor little baby had tubes and wires everywhere and I lost it. I could not stop crying. Here I was having a full term baby and now he was in NICU for problems unknown at the time. I was discharged an hour or so later and I went home only to come right back to the hospital after I was showered and dressed.

Fast forward almost 2 weeks from delivery later. He is still in NICU, and after tons of tests and scary assumptions, we found out that all of his complications were related to my diabetes. He also has a small VSD in his heart, and at the time of admittance to NICU he had a moderate size PDA. The doctor is not worried about either because they can both clear up on their own. I just need to follow up with a cardiologist when he gets out. For now, his lungs were immature due to my diabetes (I guess this is common in GD babies born before 38/39 weeks) and his glucose is completely under control. Each day his feedings and breathing is getting better, but they cannot release him until he stops rabid breathing all together. He has very small episodes that last maybe 5 or 10 seconds at a time now, so I just keep praying that one day I’ll wake up and it will be gone. He also is starting to gain back the 2lbs he lost from the medications and glucose problems from birth.

He’ll be 2 weeks old this Thursday June 14th. He needs to come home. Until then I try to get sitters and head up there 2 times a day. I hold him and feed him and just pray that tomorrow he can come home. Each day is tomorrow for me.

Well that is my birth story. If any of you ladies pray, just keep him in your prayers. I want my baby home and healthy.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote
June 12th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 5,820
The butt first part was fun.

I hope he gets to come home soon!
LindseyE117 and mom2moose like this.
Reply With Quote
June 12th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Blue_Jar_Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,078
Awesome story Lindsey. I hope he's home soon!!
Amanda- Proud Homeschooling, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, baby wearing, cloth diapering, chicken raising stay at home mama to:
Girl (13.5)
Boy (11)
Boy (5)
Boy (3)
Girl (12.24.14)
Unplanned home birth on Christmas Eve 2014
Delivered by her daddy

Reply With Quote
June 12th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Parker, CO
Posts: 1,987
Hang in there! I hope he gets to come home soon!!!!
Reply With Quote
June 12th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Posts: n/a
I hope he comes home soon!
Reply With Quote
June 12th, 2012, 01:50 PM
gingerrae's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Anchorage Alaska
Posts: 429
I'm praying for Layne and hoping he gets to come home soon.
Reply With Quote
June 12th, 2012, 03:17 PM
Jasmine.'s Avatar Mommy to Kay & Kennedy!
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,137
Hoping Layne comes home soon! Hang in there!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for my lovely siggy!

Reply With Quote
June 13th, 2012, 11:40 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Delaware (the state!)
Posts: 7,513
And yay, he is coming home today THanks for sharing the story! Scary at times I am sure! So glad he is healthy and will be joining his family today!!
4/2008 8/2011

Reply With Quote
June 15th, 2012, 02:14 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,741
Thanks ladies! I am so glad that he is home now!

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
Reply With Quote
June 22nd, 2012, 06:50 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Eagle, Idaho
Posts: 60,398
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
The belly shaving is news to me too, I haven't heard other people mention it. I have heard when they do surgery they shave you, but I've had abdominal surgery and I don't remember them shaving me.
The tied down thing freaks me out about the idea of a c-section too, I understand the why to it, but it still freaks me out.
So scary he wasn't breathing at first. And of course how hard it has been for him already (and mommy too).

Reply With Quote
June 22nd, 2012, 09:30 AM
Mommy-to-2's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 435
great story! so glad he is home with you now!!

Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0