Matthew Toryn's Arrival

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KiwiMommy

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
On Tuesday 6/19 I had a dr appointment. I was already 5cm dilated and 100% effaced and had been seeing the midwives of the practice. This was the only appointment I had with an ob. I asked about induction, as I was 2 days shy of my due date and nothing was happening. We were also a bit concerned about his size, though the u/s Monday showed only 8lbs 3oz. She said my cervix was very favorable and called another ob who agreed that induction was a good idea. She told me she just had to discuss it with the midwife and she'd call back by 4pm. At 2:30pm I got the call. Could I come in to the hospital at 4?
We got there at 4:50pm and I got hooked up. I was already contracting on my own but I had been for days. I was 5cm still, 100% effaced and my waters were bulging. But baby was at -2 station. Got an IV that took 3 tries. First time in my arm...she popped right through the vein and left a pocket of fluid under my skin. Second, on my hand, did the same. Finally the nurse got another nurse who got it perfect the first time. Fed me first then hooked me up to pitocin for a few hours that night but baby didn't drop. He actually got agitated with the contractions and they had me roll often. Pit was turned up every hr to half hour until it was at a 5 and contractions were 2min apart. When they checked me they decided to turn it off for the night. Contractions were bearable, but I couldn't sleep with them so I got some tylenol (pills) and benadryl (IV) and slept from 3 or 4am to 6am.
They didn't check me at all but started the pitocin again at 6. This time the contractions took forever to regulate but baby handled them wonderfully. I did get a low dose of morphine to take the edge off so I could nap briefly. Then they mentioned if the contractions regulated, we'd check my progress at noon and possibly break my water. But noon came and went and nothing happened. No check and no word on if it'd happen. So my mom and SO headed to my house to grab a few things after we waited a while. Go figure not 10mins later the dr came in. 6cm, baby at 0 station and she broke my water. There was some meconium, so our plans for delayed cord clamping was out the window. Shortly after that SO and my mom got back and contractions got very strong. I began to consider the epi, but I handled the contractions well... until they got so bad that I would have silent tears streaming down my face during them. I guess my distress upset both my mother and SO, as they both started quietly crying when I first did. So epi it was. That was awful. The epi itself was nothing compared to the every 2min severe contractions and the nurse that kept handing me tissues. At one point I even angrily asked WHY she was handing me tissues.. I was dropping every one because I didn't want them! Once the epi was in I noticed the first pain to go was in my belly.. but I felt sooo much pressure in my butt/hooha for a while. Then it faded and I got very tired. I dozed in and out until the dr checked me. I was 10cm and ready to push with baby at +1 station. Yep, I slept at 10cm dilated! Gave a few pushes then she turned the epi off for 15min and turned it back on so I'd feel the need to push. I dozed until they were ready. I never did feel a need to push, but I knew how to push and with each one I felt him move down more. Biggest. Poop. Ever! No pain though, unlike with Ashlynn's birth. He came out easily at 6:49 pm with under an hour of pushing. SO watched him being born (and told me I didn't poop) and when that boy came out near effortlessly I burst into happy tears. My mom, who had been at my head, stepped back so SO could get to me and SO hugged me as he cried. Yep, the big tough guy who swore up and down he wouldn't cry. They took baby away to suction him and I managed to feel the placenta as it dropped down (so weird!) and push it out. I got a 2nd degree tear but no episiotomy. No hemorrhage. No shoulder distocia, which Ash had at birth. No vacuum assistance. I did it on my own.
Matthew Toryn (SO finally agreed on the Y. Originally it was Torin) was born 6/20/12 at 6:49pm weighing 8lbs 1.4oz and 20 inches long at 39w6d gestation. He has a head full of very very light blonde hair, just like we expected. Looks just like Daddy!
We are blessed. The recovery so far has been so much easier than my daughter's. I feel slightly sore and very sleepy but that is it. Matthew breastfeeds well and only lost 6oz in a little over 24hrs. He poops like crazy, hates being disturbed when snuggling Mommy, and we came home today. Big sister is in love!
Now to sleep before I crash. I've been finding it very hard to sleep. Thanks for reading!
gingerrae likes this.

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
June 25th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing! Great job, Mama

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search