Grandparents

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 27th, 2012, 05:02 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
How close do you live to your kids' grandparents?
How often do you see them?

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
June 27th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Dan's wife's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My parent's live about 45 minutes away and we see them about every weekend. Dh's parents live about an hour away and we see them every week or two.

June 27th, 2012, 07:26 AM
ethansmom0408's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents live with us in our basement so they see the kids daily. They have their own lives so they only help me if I ask. I respect that. When they lived in their previous house, they were 45 minutes away and I'd see them once or twice a week.

My il's live 1 1/2 hours away and they saw my first born maybe 3 times in the first year of his life and they were holidays. They are better with him now because he's older. They don't really have much to do with Mason either. But he doesn't care for them. He cries when they hold him and he is usually so well behaved but when we go out for dinner with them, he fusses so much. It's been 3 times and each time I'd make sure he was fed, well rested, changed but he still fussed the whole time. I seriously think its because he doesn't like them. When we go out to eat with my parents or by ourselves, he's a perfect angel.

June 27th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Sarai1983's Avatar Bonus Mom w/ a Baby Bump
Send a message via Skype™ to Sarai1983
1400 miles away.... we see each other at Christmas, but skype when we can... ILs are 1 1/2 hours away, but don't get by very often...
June 27th, 2012, 01:47 PM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
Parents and IL's are about 30 minutes away. They see the kid every week or at most every two weeks.

June 27th, 2012, 02:53 PM
KimiB's Avatar Super Mommy
My parents are 45 minutes away and see Avery every three weeks or so....if there's a reason. My in-laws live 1.5 hours away but they are currently on a long-term vacation (FIL is hiking the Appalacian trail which is 2100 miles in length). They'll be home in August/September and I fully expect that if they don't just move closer, we'll still see them more often than we do my parents. I don't really want to get started on how upset I am that my parents aren't very present.

~*Kimi*~
Proud mama of Avery, born March 19, 2012, 6lbs 5 oz, 19 inches

Please check out my blog: http://familybirdsnest.blogspot.com
June 27th, 2012, 08:25 PM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parent's are 10 mins away and I see them a lot. MIL is 40 minutes and maybe every 2 weeks.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
June 27th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
East Coast and we are West Coast. My mom was here for his birth and will be back in a month. My dad will be here is a few weeks. My dummy MIL will be back in August (kill me) and my FIL isn't coming. We are going home to FL for Christmas and will see everyone again then.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!
June 28th, 2012, 04:09 AM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I have to admit, I'm jealous of a bunch of you! John's sets (dad & step-mom, mom & step-dad) are both a good 8 hour drive away, in different directions, and then mine are still up in Canada. We see each of John's a couple times a year... Only one set of grandparents have met Andrew yet. They all are supportive and talk about wanting to see the kids, but making it happen just...often doesn't happen.

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!
June 28th, 2012, 09:00 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We live 25 minutes from MIL and my mom's house (they live across the street from each other). We live about 30 minutes from FIL. We see MIL about once a year if that. She rarely calls and hasn't called to see how anyone is doing since February. She saw the twins once in the NICU when FIL brought her up to the hospital, and that's it in the last 4 months of their lives. We see FIL once every few months, but he calls all the time to see how the kids are. My mom has been staying with us since the day I went in the hospital. She and Dad were watching the big kids while we were in the hospital and while we were running back and forth to the NICU to see the boys. They stayed to help once the twins came home. When my Dad passed my mom just kind of stayed. She doesn't want to go back to her house, so she's still here with us.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

June 28th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're in Minnesota and my parents are in Maryland. But they are retired so they travel here as much as they can. My mom has already been here 3 times. When we just had DS we went to see them 2-3 times a year. I don't know how often we'll do it now since we have two kids, and DS is old enough we have to pay for him.

DH's parents have both passed away.
June 28th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Taz38's Avatar Proud Mommy
My parents live 27 miles away and they babysit every Friday - it hasn't been going well but they are troopers. Christopher has gotten upset with them 3 out of 4 weeks.

MIL and her dh live in our condo 15 mins away - rent free (they pay utilities and do the upkeep - its paid for so we aren't out any $$) and travels to our house Mon - Thurs and babysits while we are working.

Dh's stepdad lives in our neighborhood - he swings by if he catches us in the yard.

Dh's sperm donor and step mother live in Wisconsin 20 hour drive. Haven't seen them since 2001. When I got pregnant I tried to keep communication open, but its fallen silent again--oh well.
July 4th, 2012, 01:33 AM
JesSsica's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My parents live 5 minutes away and we're super close. I see them usually a couple times a week or more. My dh's parents live just as close but we probably only see them once every 2-3 weeks.
Cole Anthony 5-23-2002
Mia Annelise 3-29-2012

^angel^ 10wks, 2 days, D&C 12wks, 3 days 11-2-09
^angel^ 5wks, 5 days 1-2-10
^angel^ 11wks, 1 day 5-22-10 with D&C
July 5th, 2012, 09:50 PM
woohoo502's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both sets are about 20 minutes away and we see them pretty often.

July 6th, 2012, 02:06 PM
txranchmom's Avatar Country Momma to the Core
My mom is 10 minutes away, see her at least 3-4 times a week and both boys love her. DH's parents are about 2 hours and we don't see them too often.
July 9th, 2012, 12:21 PM
ETanny's Avatar Mamma 2 Moo & Pops
Send a message via MSN to ETanny
My parents are about 10 minutes away - We see them 2/3 times a week.
IL's we see every other weekend give or take

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search