Daphne Helen's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lnj5duke

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 1st, 2012, 10:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Okay, well I guess I better write this down before I either forget or get distracted... again. Sorry it's so long, but I really wanted to get everything down this time, since I didn't with DD1.

We went in the morning of June 7th for a scheduled induction. Due date by LMP was May 31, but they pushed it back to June 3 because baby was measuring small. I requested induction for June 8th, but the doc was going to be at the other hospital in town, so Thursday the 7th it was!

It was very weird to walk into the hospital through the front door with Josh (DH) and NOT be in labor. With Jenny (DD1), we went in TWICE through the ER in the middle of the night. We chatted casually with the admitting lady while she checked us in, then we sat around in the front waiting room until someone from L&D came down to pick us up. I was expecting a wheelchair, since they don't let you go anywhere in a hospital without one once you're checked in, but they didn't even bring one down. We were got one of the larger delivery rooms, which was nice .

One of the night nurses came in to get my IV access set-up and draw blood and all of that. She had a little trouble with the line, so she wasn't able to draw blood even though she was able to get the saline started, so she had to call a lab tech to come and draw blood from my other arm. She also had to tape the heck out of the line to get it to sit properly, and I still have tape marks and a bruise from the extra blood draw a week later!!!

A little while later we met our nurses on the day shift. One was a traveling nurse and the other was one of the regulars at our hospital. It was the traveling nurse's last day of training, so we got to have two . Again, lucky us! We sat around waiting for the doctor until about 8am. When she arrived, we discussed the possibility of putting the baby on an internal monitor after she broke my water so that I could get up and down. My monitor was sitting so low that it was difficult for me to really even sit up (again, just like DD1). Since we were planning to try for natural birth, my response was, "Oh, yes please!!!"

Well, the doc tried to break my water, but even with the nurse practically sitting on my belly, and with the hook and half of her arm up my cervix, she still couldn't get it. She told us that the baby was very high and also slightly crooked in my pelvis, so they were going to start pitocin and hope that the contractions would straighten her out. Given that I had a *marginal* vacuum extraction with Jenny (she was just barely low enough for the doc to reach her), she said we would have to take that into consideration and if DD2 didn't straighten out and drop, it might mean doing a c-section. When she gave the nurse my numbers, I was dilated to 3cm and 80% effaced, and she said the baby was in "Egypt", lol.

Well, that was a total downer! I was definitely bummed. They started pitocin, and I started praying that it would work! Josh tried to set-up my House DVDs, but the DVD player wasn't working . They got a tech guy in to fix it (he brought us a remote, lol... tough fix), and I watched the next episode in the sequence. It just so happened to be about a teenage girl who gives birth and abandons her baby, whoops!!! Definitely NOT the best episode for L&D!

At that point, my dad had arrived and was hanging out in the waiting room. My contractions weren't too strong or painful yet, so I asked him to come in. I was mostly bored and bummed that I had already heard the word "c-section" before things really got going. We chatted awhile, and then suddenly right around 10:45 I felt a contraction AND I literally felt DD2 roll into position. It was the weirdest feeling, but I just knew she had straightened out! I mentioned it to my dad and Josh, but I tried not to get my hopes up too high, just in case I was crazy. Then the regular nurse came in (the traveling nurse was in surgery learning the c-section paperwork/procedure for the hospital) and said that my doc would arrive between 11 and 11:30 to check on me, so I should get up and go to the bathroom a little after 11. I did all that, and when my doc came around 11:15, she said I was 4 cm (no mention of effacement), and that while baby was still high (-2 station), she had indeed straightened out. I was thrilled! They tried to break my water again, and this time they were successful (thank goodness, because the nurse had to freakin' sit on me again!). My doctor warned me that things would really start rocking and rolling now! She also said that she's pretty conservative in her estimates of dilation, and that I was actually close to 5 cm, but she always likes to round down.

I was thrilled! It looked like the c-section probably wasn't going to be necessary, and we were finally getting somewhere! Plus, I got to reward myself with a popsicle, lol . My dad came back in for a little bit, and then he went out to lunch with Jenny and my MIL. It was good timing, because my contractions definitely started getting more painful! By 2pm, they were coming about every 2 minutes, and I was starting to struggle with the pain management. It didn't help that I was starving, so I was having waves of nausea with each contraction. A few minutes later, the traveling nurse came in and I told her that my contractions felt like they were intensifying. Unfortunately, it looked like they were starting to fizzle some, so she had to turn up the pitocin. My doctor showed up a few minutes later, and they decided that since the monitor was not agreeing with my pain assessment, they wanted to get better data about the strength of contractions, so they decided to shove YET ANOTHER object up my cervix (which was now ACTUALLY 5 cm dilated and 100% effaced). At that point, the pain was becoming pretty difficult for me to deal with, and I was shaking all over. I couldn't tell if it was just because they aggravated things, though, or if it was because labor was progressing and getting more painful. I started thinking about that epidural... and then the nurse anesthetist came in to talk to us about pain management options. She was very nice, but I wanted to throw something at her with each contraction! Her "soothing" voice was seriously grating on my nerves!!!

I waited until 3pm so that I could assess my pain after I had a chance to calm down some. I was definitely at the end of my rope, so I called the nurse in to talk about an epidural. She said, "Let's check you first, then you can decide." She said I was at 6 cm now, although she was able to stretch me to 7 cm, so I was getting close to 7. She also said baby was still at -2 station, which is what made the decision for me. Epidural it was! I was shaking so much, I was worried about their ability to get the line in properly, but they didn't have a problem. I lucked out and didn't even have to wait... they had me hooked up within 20 minutes, hooray!

Once I was "pain-free" (although still feeling some pressure), I asked for my dad to come back in. We chatted until the doc came back at 4:15. She checked me and I was at 8 cm, but baby was still relatively high. At this point, she was done for the day, but she really wanted to deliver my baby. She said she'd wait a little while and come back, so we saw her again in about half an hour. Unfortunately, DD2 was still not quite ready to come out, so she left and turned me over to the doctor on-call, who happened to be the only doctor in the practice that I hadn't ever met! I'm not picky about delivery docs, though, so that was okay by me . I also mentioned to my doc that my pain was increasing again, and she said that baby was high enough still that it probably made sense to get something "fast-acting" in place (I was shaking all over... again). I had already maxed out on the "button-pushing" for my epidural, so they brought the (annoying) nurse anesthetist back. This time, she was less annoying, and she told me that I needed to go back to my pain management techniques that I was "doing so well with before". That made me feel good, so I forgave her for being a nuisance earlier. She also said that she didn't want to hear about how I couldn't feel enough to push when the time came! This was directed at the nurses, and it made us all laugh. After that relief, I watched a little bit of "Friends" and kind of drifted off to sleep for a little bit.

Around 5:30pm or so the traveling nurse checked me again, and I was fully dilated! Hooray! Unfortunately, DD2 was still high. She asked me how long I pushed with DD1, and I said, "Two hours or so, and then we still had a vacuum extraction!" She said, "No way that is happening on my watch... we're going to wait for passive descent so you don't have to push for so long!" So we waited... and waited... and around 6pm the on-call doc came to check on me. She made the same assessment as the nurse, and said she'd be back after she checked on her other patients.

The nurses were pretty much hanging out in my room at that point, since we were getting close to pushing time. At 6:15pm, the traveling nurse checked me again, and she had me do a "trial push" to see if we were ready to go. It was time! I had Josh get my hairbrush out of my bag before we started, so that I could make sure to brush my hair right after the baby came out (last time, my hair looked horrid in all of the initial pictures, and I wasn't going to have that again!).

The first few pushes were tough, because I was having trouble feeling how to push. After awhile, though, her head moved down and I could feel the pressure (but no pain, thank goodness!), so I was able to push more effectively. We pushed for almost half an hour, then suddenly the nurse was like, "STOP! Stop pushing! We're going to get the doctor!" While we were waiting, she said, "I love to deliver, but I'm not sure how they'd feel about me doing that at this hospital!"

Then the doctor showed up. DD2 had moved up a little bit, so I had to push a few more times to get her out. When she was almost out, I suddenly felt like my hoo-ha area was going to tear UP instead of DOWN. It was a very weird feeling, and the doctor said, "I'm going to go ahead and cut you so you don't tear up!" So, I wound up with an episiotomy, but that's a lot better than the level 3 tearing I had with DD1! Then it was another push or two and DD2 was out! The first thing I said was, "She looks smaller than Jenny!" The doctor was holding her and said, "She feels like about 7 lbs." DH cut the umbilical cord, then they put her on the scale - 6 lbs, 15.9 oz (which they rounded to 7 lbs even). We named her Daphne Helen (Daphne from the Greek mythology, Helen for DH's grandmother), and she was 20 inches long. I thought it was funny that she was born on June 7th weighing 7 lbs at almost 7pm (6:58pm). My little girl already has a favorite number, haha!
ollybgolly likes this.
July 2nd, 2012, 03:49 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Holy baloney, I've tried to respond to this twice already!!!

I told you no babies on the House you watched, you didn't listen . I also watched Friends for some of this one, and every time I laughed it hurt.

I wonder what's up with the button for the epi, I never had one with either of mine!

And it is weird to me you knew you were going to tear and could feel it, I've never felt the tearing, with or without the epi! You had one and you felt it. I did have an episiotomy one time though.

July 3rd, 2012, 06:51 PM
gingerrae's Avatar Veteran
Sounds like a great birth. So glad that the nurses and Dr let you wait till she descended before just saying you need a C-section.
July 3rd, 2012, 10:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJD3Tdance View Post
Holy baloney, I've tried to respond to this twice already!!!

I told you no babies on the House you watched, you didn't listen . I also watched Friends for some of this one, and every time I laughed it hurt.

I wonder what's up with the button for the epi, I never had one with either of mine!

And it is weird to me you knew you were going to tear and could feel it, I've never felt the tearing, with or without the epi! You had one and you felt it. I did have an episiotomy one time though.
Yeah, I was thinking of you when I realized the episode was a BAD one to be watching . Now that you mention it, I don't know how I felt I was going to tear... maybe because the pressure was suddenly in the wrong place? I definitely felt it, though!

I also left out the part where they put me on oxygen during the pushing toward the end. Daphne's heart rate wasn't recovering quickly enough after the contractions, so the nurse put the oxygen mask on me. It was REALLY annoying, because it made it hard to take the deep breaths for pushing, AND I couldn't talk easily! Plus, we're at almost 6000 ft of altitude, so when they took the mask off I was definitely light-headed for a bit!
July 5th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
What a great birth story So glad she is here and healthy! I had a fave number at my birth too, I was born on 8/28/80, was 8lb 8oz and so my grandmother played some sort of lottery they used to have and played 8, she won $2...lol!

Congrats

July 5th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by humnck View Post
What a great birth story So glad she is here and healthy! I had a fave number at my birth too, I was born on 8/28/80, was 8lb 8oz and so my grandmother played some sort of lottery they used to have and played 8, she won $2...lol!

Congrats
Haha, that is too funny!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search