Log In Sign Up

Introducing Alaina Grace

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2012, 02:49 PM
Jennmarie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,376
Finally getting around to typing this out before I forget everything. There are a TON of details, because I am keeping this for me too. So, you've been warned that I'm writing a novel

Alaina was due on May 30th. My first day out of work was 5/21, and I got to spend it with the boys, doing all of their last week of school activities. I had an appt on 5/25-my birthday. The doc really had me thinking we'd be meeting Alaina very soon....but baby girl had other plans. We enjoyed another week waiting on her to come; trying to finish my pre-baby #3 projects before she decided to arrive. My due date came and went, and I had another appointment on the 1st of June, where we made plans for a NST and ultrasound the next week, and Dr. Brown said we'd discuss induction after having those.

I was pretty disappointed to hear that, and tried taking a walk that evening to help things along...and ended up nearly getting soaked in a rainstorm. But I made it home, and snuggled with my boys, and felt better by the time I went to bed. The next day (6/2), we had 2 birthday parties to attend. It was Toby & Logan's first time skating at the first party, and they had a blast, and I got a lot of walking around done. We took them home and took a nap, then took them to the other party. By the time we got back home from that party, I was pretty tired. But Ross (DH) told me not "to get too comfortable"..and then after a few minutes told me that he had arranged for his mom to babysit the boys so that we could have an anniversary dinner/date. <3 So, he took me out, and we had an absolutely wonderful evening, talking over dinner and just hanging out. We came out and admired a pretty full moon, and headed home. The boys were in bed when we got home, so we cuddled on the couch and watched the planet of the apes movie.

Towards the end of the movie, I thought I was noticing some contractions, but had already had SO many nights of cramps/contractions that I didn't think about it much. He went to go to bed, and I tried to lay down. But I noticed that they were starting to get a bit regular, then my tummy started hurting too. I had to go spend some time in the bathroom, and just got up and went into the living room to try to relax and see what was going to happen. I went back and forth between watching tv on the couch and trying to lay down in the nursery for awhile; and when I started to really believe it was labor, I went and ran me a bath, about 3am. I stayed in the bath until about 4:00 am, and was starting to get pretty uncomfortable during the contractions, but fine in between; they were 3-5 minutes apart at this point. When I stood up to get out of the bath, it was like the contractions kicked into high gear, and suddenly got stronger and closer. I went and laid down in the bed, and told Ross it was time to go. It took him several tries to get someone at his mom's to pick up the phone, so that she could come up here and keep the boys for us. It was really cute watching him freak out a little bit. We finally left the house about 4:30 or so, and I was really having to start concentrating through contractions. We had to go through the ER to get in the hospital; and they actually tried to triage me! Ross got pretty ticked off with the ER staff, when they basically told us to wait until the nurse was free when we got there; and then when a nurse came over and asked me what was wrong. We were like..really?! I'm in labor, dummy! They finally got their act together, and took us upstairs. At this point, contractions were 2-3 minutes apart, and I was HURTING.

About 5:15 am I got into labor and delivery, and the nurse checked me, and I was 4, nearly 5cms. She then started the admitting questions/process. I told her I pre-registered about a month and a half ago; and she couldn't freaking find it. So I had to sit through all those stupid questions, and I tried to be patient, but she had already made me get the monitors on and lay on my back, and I was absolutely miserable and hurting a lot. Ross tried to help answer as well, but she was taking her sweet time putting the info in and trying to get me to sign forms. I was breathing out through contractions, and making sounds while I did, because it was the only way I felt like I could stay sane. I kept asking for the epidural; and she basically told me I was going to have to wait for awhile. I told her I had gotten it right at 4 cms with my past 2 births, and she just basically refused to call the anesthesiologist.(sp?) I was SO mad and upset. She gave me a ML of morphine in my IV, but all it did was make me a little sleepy when I would get a two/three minute break in contractions. It didn't help my pain at all. I really don't remember much until a little after 7 when my new nurse came in and checked me, I was nearly 6 at that point. She called the anesthesiologist (sp?) almost immediately; my contractions were on top of each other, coming less than a minute apart, and it felt like I was being ripped apart with each one. I was trying really hard not to, but was nearly screaming through each one, when I wasn't almost crying and telling DH I couldn't do it. He laughed at the face I was making one time; and I nearly kicked him out of the room. That upset me a LOT.

Finally, about 8am the dr arrived with the epi. It was hard getting to a sitting up position, and she put me in a weird position that hurt to hold myself up and just wasn't at all comfortable. Then, she chose the exact moment a contraction hit to stick the needle in me; and the epi only blocked one side. Gah!! I had never had this much drama in a delivery! She decided to try it again, and this time they let me hold pillows while she did it. Sitting up and holding the pillows was almost like an epidural in itself; it helped SO much. The second time around worked like a charm...so well that my blood pressure totally bottomed out. I thought I was just exhausted/sleepy, but the nurses and doc were freaking out. It was weird from my perspective, like they were moving in fast forward and I was in slow motion. I was having trouble talking, and kept having to try to lay on different sides, etc. When it hit me that something was wrong, I started really getting worried about Alaina, and I think that kind of helped it come back up to a normal level. Finally, Ross was able to come back in the room, and my mom and dad came in too. We hung out, and the nurse checked me around 8:30 or 9, and said that I was at about a 7, which was the same thing I was at when Dr. Brown broke my water right after the epidural. So they started a low dose of pitocin. I tried to nap, but really was too excited. We started making guesses on birth times, and I laughed when my dad said 10:40. I guessed about 11:30. I started feeling some pressure here and there about 10, and had the nurse come check me. She said I was really at "about an 8..well, 8.5. Well, really there is just a lip here, let's see...ok, well that's it, your cervix is about gone, its about time to have a baby!" They paged Dr. Brown, and he got suited up. The nurses got me sat up and in the stirrups, and we got ready; and I pushed for the first time for the nurses..then the next push Dr. Brown delivered her head, and I could see her coming out. The third push and she was here, at 10:37 AM!!

It was an absolutely amazing experience, having my sister, mom and Ross in there. I watched Alaina come out, and Ross got to cut the cord. As soon as she was out and Dr. B held her up, my tears started. I was so incredibly overcome with happiness! Alaina came out screaming, fiesty and alert. I held her while they cleaned her up, and then everyone went over to her table while they cleaned her up and checked her out. We had a funny moment when my bed nearly tipped over while the nurse tried to move it. But they kept me in the bed and kept me safe; and got it leveled back up. Once Dr. B was done with me, they brought Alaina back over to nurse for the first time. My mom, sis and dad left, and it was just me and DH for a little while. Baby girl knew exactly what to do, and nursed great. They came and got her to go get weighed, checked out and her first bath while I recovered. Ross stayed with me for a few minutes, and then went out with her. We had guessed weights and length while we were waiting, and Ross guessed her weight exactly. He guessed 8 lbs, and 22inches. I guessed 8.5 lbs and 21 inches. Her actual stats were 8lbs, 21 inches. It was about 2 pm by the time I was ready to move to our room, where we proceeded to fall head over heels in love and get wrapped around our new little princess' finger. She nursed perfectly, and is such a chill baby. She has a birthmark on her foot, which looks like a little eighth note. She had a pretty bad case of newborn rash, mostly on her tummy. Her big brothers came to meet her on June 4th, so that I could see Logan on his birthday. They stayed all morning, and it was great having so much time with them!That was the only issue we had with her; and got to take her home on June 5th.

So, she was due May 30, and came on June 3, mine and DH's 5 year wedding anniversary. June 3 is also the day her big brother was due, and the day before her big brother Logan's birthday. Thanks for reading our story!

Last edited by Jennmarie; July 12th, 2012 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
July 11th, 2012, 08:11 PM
CarolynBB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 2,393
That's a great story! Welcome, Alaina!!
Reply With Quote

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0