Haven't been on here since I was pregnant...

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2012, 03:27 PM
Regular
And I didn't post much so you probably don't remember me but I have some questions.

My son just turned 8 months old and wieghs only 15-16 lb and since birth we have struggled with him gaining weight. He gets 5 oz bottles, 5 times a day (he never really could take much more than that at a feeding without throwing up) and 3 meals of solid food a day. He never seems to want to finish his bottles but always wants a lot of solid foods. I guess I'm worried he is not getting enough to eat to support any weight gain (he has only gained 2 lb in the last 3 months, possibly due to being sick a lot from starting daycare). For his meals I give him 4 ice cube amounts of fruits and vegetable (I make his baby food and freeze it) and as much cereal as he wants. Should I give him as much solid food as he wants until he is no longer hungry since he is not interested in formula? If I give him formula after he is still hungry from solids, he acts as if he doesn't want the formula. I'm struggling with worrying about him not getting enough calories, knowing that he should still be getting most of his calories from formula.

Any tips or ideas? Someone made a comment the other day that I'm starving him (because he is so small) and then daycare told me they feel bad for him because he acts hungry when he is done eating, which they didn't mention until I said something about it. So I also feel guilty that maybe I am stunting his growth. And I'm tired of all the comments about how little he is. I am a petite person and the men in my family are tall and slender so maybe that's how he will be.

Anyone else on here with a small infant or in a similar situation? I am a first time parent so this is all new to me. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
November 13th, 2012, 11:50 PM
Beautiful Life!
I have had this issue with my children. My 22 month old currently only weighs 21 lbs. We were very concerned about her, as was the Dr., but after tests we learned she had a serious iron deficiency. We give her iron and 2 pediasure's a day to try to help maintain weight and that helps. My son had the same weight issues since he was baby, and we are now going through a lot of allergy testing. It turns out he's allergic to several things. Our youngest seems as though she may have the allergy issues as well. I had to quit nursing her because she would get so upset. We have had her on reflux medication and now we're looking at allergy medication as well. What I've learned, is that with reflux or allergies, she eats for comfort of the pain, but the more she eats, the more pain she's in. It's a vicious cycle. I wouldn't be concerned about his size, easier said than done, as his growth chart. Any Dr. will tell you that if they're following the growth curve, they're usually fine and just might be smaller than some of their peers. If he's going down on the growth chart, however, some testing might be a good idea. At the very least, I would speak with your pediatrician to see what his/her thoughts are and tell the people making comments about his size to get lost. I get so sick of people telling me how small my 22 month old is, but I tell them not to let size fool you of her personality! Good luck and feel free to message me if you'd like.

November 14th, 2012, 06:10 AM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
Honestly, this is something you should discuss with his pediatrician. 25 oz of formula a day is pretty normal (around here the doctors say most babies drink between 24 and 32oz a day at that age). Personnally, I would not be giving more cereals than fruits/veggies and I would introduce proteins. My son's ped always said to offer food as long as he wants it (when he's done, he lets me know!) but like I said, if my child was struggling to gain, I would definitively make an appointment with his ped.

But I wouldn't stress about what others say about my child. There's always someone somewhere that will find your kid too big/small/active/lethargic/fast/slow/etc... But if YOU are concerned, call the ped.

Hope you can find answers soon

November 14th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Regular
Thanks for your input ladies, it definitely put me at ease a little more.

Mommamindy- did your daughter show other signs of iron deficiency? Because I often wonder if my son has that just because he is skin is pretty pale and he alwas looks tired even though he seems to sleep just fine. And that is one reason why I offer more cereal because of the iron, plus he eats that with other food high in vit C so he can absorb the iron better.

MissLoki- I gave him hard cooked egg yolk yesterday for the first time and he liked it so I am just now starting to offer him proteins. I hope the calories from the protein foods will help him. At his last well child check the dr did not seem concerned since he was gaining (even though it's super slow). His next check is in 3 weeks so I am definitely going to bring it up with her.
November 30th, 2012, 11:03 AM
EDD 02-01-2013
Watch the eggs.. My pediatrician said no eggs until 2 years old as they are a huge cause of allergies. I would double check with your ped.

I too wouldn't worry as long as baby is following the growth curve. I would follow his cues as far as his eating and when he is full. Try not to worry yourself so much, It seems to me your on the right track and babies come in all shapes and sizes. Best of luck
November 30th, 2012, 12:08 PM
quietsong's Avatar Just Another Slacker Mom
Send a message via MSN to quietsong
I missed this originally, I'm sorry! Some kids are just small - my son is about to turn 9 months and only about 17lb last time I checked, and he nurses plenty and eats like a horse, LOL. I wouldn't be too concerned about "only" gaining 2lb in the last 3 months, kids slow down some on weight gain after 6 months. Also, if he is becoming mobile, that slows down weight gain too! Doesn't hurt to double check with your ped, but I wouldn't be too concerned

Visit My Blog, and come join me at the JM Blogs!
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search