Emmett's Eviction (sorry so long)

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2012, 11:48 PM
Elevin26's Avatar Super Mommy
Well Emmett decided to make his arrival last Monday 11/26 at 9:55 pm. It ended in an emergency c-section so been home almost a week now and still trying to recover, but doing somewhat better.

So I think labor actually started on Sunday (11/25) afternoon, but I didn't realize it because I had been cramping so much anyways. So Sunday around 4 DH and I decide to go drive around looking for bumpy roads and we got hot wings and pizza for dinner. That night I had a really bad back ache which I didn't think anything of, and took a hot bath and went to bed.

I woke up around 2 am (11/26) and was hungry so ate some leftover pizza and still had my tummy ache and just went back to bed. 4 am I woke up with same stomach ache, but also had diarrhea which I thought was due to the pizza. Around 6 I went to wake up DH cause I had a Dr apt at 8. I was really feeling bad then, but wasn't sure it was labor or not. I woke up DH and asked him how he felt cause maybe it was the pizza. He said he was fine so I start thinking maybe this is it. I told DH how I was feeling and he was asking could I time the bad pain and I said itís all bad pain pretty much. Every now and then it got really intense, but we could not find a pattern to it. Finally at around 7 am I told him to just call L&D and ask them what we should do. They said if there is no pattern to it and since I had a Dr apt at 8 anyways to just wait to see my Dr. By this point it is getting really intense and hard for me to breathe with the contractions. It was weird because I thought there would be some down time between them, but they started to feel constant almost.

8 am we get to the Dr apt and do the typical check in, weight check, blood pressure etc. The nurse was asking me how I was doing and I told her I canít really breath, cramping, thinking I am having contractions but canít distinguish between them or any pattern. The Dr comes in and does a quick ultrasound and measurements and says Emmett is head down and measuring about 7 lbs 15 oz. Then he checks my cervix and says I am only 1 cm. He says to go to Target or Walmart and walk, walk, walk and to come back in 2 hours. Since we live really close to the hospital we just went home and walked the neighborhood. At this point I still canít distinguish the contractions from each other, but we say ok and head home. While walking the neighborhood everything seems to be getting worse, I can hardly catch my breath and have to stop and grab onto DH several times. He is still trying to time everything and we still cannot find a pattern to it. I remember the pain at times being so bad, just grabbing onto him and thinking, if this isnít real labor than I am screwed when the real thing happens. While we are out walking my mom texts me to tell me she is on her way from MS. She had already made plans to come over that week anyways so DH called her and told her what was going on so she knew to be ready to go to the hospital instead of our house just in case.
10 am we head back to the Dr office. They take me back and check again and I am still only at 1. Dr. says lets send you home with a pain killer and see you back on Thursday. I almost freaked. I looked at him and choked out ďI canít breathe.Ē He then realizes how much pain I am in and says ok middle of the road lets send you over to L&D and have you monitored for a bit see whatís going on. So ok good cause I want to know I am not crazy either.

We get over to the hospital and up to L&D and nurses are talking to me and seem actually annoyed cause I am there and they know I am a first time mom and thinking early labor, canít handle it type thing since I am only dilated to 1. As soon as I am hooked up the monitor is going crazy. I am having contraction 1-2 min apart and strong ones too. The nurse was like whoa honey you are contracting and I am like yeah your telling me. She immediately picks up the phone and calls my Dr and I hear her say Yep full term ok we will admit her. She turns to me and says looks like we are having a baby today. I am so grateful at this point to know I am not crazy or a wuss and am in full on labor.

So after all the paperwork is done and I am admitted, I am moved to a room and the nurse there checks me again and I am still at 1. Since I am contracting so much and not progressing, they want to give me pain meds instead of the epidural. She calls my Dr to explain what is up and they agree to give me some kind of pain med through my IV. I am fine with this; I just want some kind of relief. Once I got the drugs things felt a lot better. I still felt the contractions, but I was able to breathe through them now and catch my breathe. My Dr. came by to check on me on his lunch hour. So this had to be about 12 noon. He came jumping into the room hands in the air saying woohoo lets get an epidural and get the show going. The nurses had to explain to him that I wasnít progressing yet. So that was put on hold and I was able to breathe through everything for a few hours. Sometime during all this my mom got there. So had DH and my mom to help through it all.
Around 3 or 4 I started to feel weird. I donít know how to explain it. Almost like I just needed to move or go to the bathroom or something. So we called the nurse cause they told me not to get up without help since I was hooked up to the monitors. We wait and wait and no one comes. Finally I am like mom I think I peed myself a little. She said just let it go. So I did, but then couldnít stop it and it wouldnít stop. Then I am like mom I think my water broke! She says just let it go and she is hitting the nurse button and finally goes out in the hall to find someone and the nurse comes in. She checks the sheets and says yes maíam your water broke. Then the nurse says that since my water broke I can now get an epidural. WE just have to wait on the anesthesiologist.

The next hour or so is the worst pain of it all. Since my water broke, the pain meds wore off and I just had to wait for the epi. So was experiencing the full on contractions every 1-2 mins again. DH and my mom were talking to me, reminding me to breathe and putting cold cloths on me. All I do at this try to breathe and whine and cry. DH was very sweet and was saying things like Iím sorry baby, youíre doing great. My mom said at one point this is why I almost quit after 1 and DH is like Iím glad you didnít. Very sweet. They both said I wasnít mean or anything, just whined and cried. My Dr. came in at some point and talked to the nurses about something and leaves again. Guess they were discussing how I wasnít progressing I dunno, but seeing the anesthesiologist was the most glorious sight ever. They kicked out DH and my mom and get me my epi. They put in the epi and wow it was awesome. After the epi, they put the catheter in as well so then it was pretty peaceful for a little while anyways.

After the epi and all, my mom and DH came back and our family friend Ms Gale was in town so she came in as well. We all hung out for about an hour or so and talked and laughed. Ms. Gale left after about a half hour or so and it was just mom and DH and I. The nurses kept coming in and checking the monitors and I figured out how to read them. I started to notice his heart rate was changing and whenever I would get nervous, a nurse would come in. Around 7 the nurse came in and had me move positions. I ended up on my right side and staring right at the monitors and she left me there.

Around 8, they did a shift change and the new nurse was checking everything and I asked if I could change positions since I was going really numb on the right side from the epi. She said sure, but as soon as I moved his heart rate dropped. I moved from my right to my left to my back and finally I had to get on all fours and put my head down into the pillow. He stabled out a bit then, and they got me back on my right side. They then were trying to get an internal monitor on him. She tried twice and then went to the hallway and screamed ďI need help in here now!Ē and that freaked me out. Two nurses were then working on trying to get an internal monitor, but he was still not cooperating and they did better with me on my right side with the regular monitor. So it is now about 8:30, I am on my right side staring at the monitors and I know I cannot move or his heart rate will drop. So I am trying not to panic. They then say donít worry you arenít delivering till tomorrow so just hang out and relax. Yeah relax while I know if I move my sons heart rate will drop, so I was kind of annoyed. They then are like well visiting here is only till 8:30 and only one person can stay with her. So my mom came to our house which is down the road from the hospital and DH and I are talking and hanging out and I just keep watching the monitors.

Around 9 I notice his heart rate dropping again and I havenít moved. I start to freak again. I watch the monitor showing that I am having heavy contractions every minute and with every contraction his heart rate drops. After the 4th one, I look at DH like this isnít right. He says everything is fine, they have monitors at the nurses station and are watching it too. At that time 2 nurses come in and say he is not taking this well and we need to take him now. They said to call my mom to come back and my Dr is on his way. They then hand me a phone and say my Dr wants to talk to me about it all. He says he is 1 minute away and knows what is going on. I just said I want my baby here and safe so do whatever. The nurses are prepping me and getting DH set up with scrubs and telling him what to expect. It was all very rushed and done so fast, my head was spinning a bit.

My Dr. showed up and came in and talked to me and tried to comfort me about it all, but I just wanted Emmett here. They got my IVs set up for the anesthesiologist and are wheeling me back to the OR. I get all set up back there and that was probably the scariest part was just laying there alone. Then DH came back and I felt a lot better. Everything after that went by so fast, but Emmett was born at 9:55 pm on Monday 11/26/12 weighing 7 lbs 10 oz. The Dr said wow I can tell who your daddy is. I heard him cry and it just made me smile. DH went over to him and saw him being measured and weighed. He got to hold him and bring him over to me. He was so cute and did look a lot like DH. They then had to take him to the nursery so DH went with him and when he walked out my mom got some great pics of him holding Emmett and just grinning.

I remember laying there being stitched back together and the Drs counting the tools and instruments which was weird to hear. I was counting along with them making sure they had everything out of me. It was a crazy long experience that ended in a rush a chaos to me, but just glad Emmett is here safe and healthy.
Expecting #2 end of July!

December 6th, 2012, 12:52 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh my goodness this is not how a FTM envisions delivery. I am so glad that through everything baby Emmett is safe and here! He has one great birth story.

Thank you for sharing!

December 11th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Hokie Nicole's Avatar Super Mommy
A million congrats to you!

Glad you stuck to your guns and got checked out when you did
December 11th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
How scary, but I'm glad everything turned out ok! Your little guy is so adorable, congrats!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

December 13th, 2012, 05:39 AM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad he arrived safe and sound! Congratulations!

Our family is complete

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search