We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
I woke up on 11/26/12 at 4 am with mild contractions. I timed them and they were three minutes apart. I went in the living room so I didn't keep DH up as he had to get up for work at 5:15am. I sent a text to my midwife friend and she told me to let her know if they got worse. When he got up I told him I was having contractions but that he should go to work as they weren't bad and they might just stop and even if this was real labor..... it often takes 24 hours in first time mums.
Pretty much the minute he stepped out the door for work at 6am my waters broke and the contractions got really painful and were still three minutes apart. I thought this was odd - as I think I was told to go to the hospital when they were 5 mins apart as we live 30 mins away..... I called my midwife friend and she said she was on her way. The contractions got so bad, I knew I would get my DH to take me straight to the hospital if he got here first, so I waited a bit to call him back. I was in agony writhing on the bed.
My midwife friend arrived first and my husband shortly after. The plan was that we would stay at home for as long as possible and then just go to the hospital to have the baby and then come home as soon as we could.
We stayed at home until noon..... with contractins 2-3 mins apart - the pain was horrible and with the contractions being so close together I really wasn't getting a break! I thought people in labor (at the beginning) got breaks!
Eventually I felt pretty desperate and decided we were going to hospital and I was going to get pain medication (even though this is something I swore I wouldn't do).
I was at 5cm when we got to the hospital...... and we decided to get an epidural. Wow, it went from pain off the scale to ZERO pain. ZERO. I could have taken a nap! An hour later I was at a 8 and then I stopped progressing due to the fluids (typical for an epi, one of the reasons I didn't want one). Then it got pretty boring. I was actually in labor and bored!!
Eventually they decided that I would need pitocin to get labor going again (another reason I didn't want the epi) but I was bored and wanted the baby out. At this point the epi was wearing off and I decided not to get it replaced..... as I really wanted to be able to feel as I wanted to get this labor going again.
Pitocin worked perfectly and my contractions picked up and I felt them, but they weren't as painful as before. Pretty soon I felt I needed to push. I think I was pushing for about 20 mins total before he was born.
I was doing really well, pushing when I had contractions.... until right near the end, his heart rate dropped and h=they got a little worried and made me push when I wasn't having a contraction...... eek which wasn't nice at all!
Anyway, out he came at 9:23pm and onto my chest - he was all slippery. Lots of people were around as there was merconium in the water (right at the end) so they kept rubbing him and making sure he was okay.
After 5 mins they felt he was fine and left. I didn't have him washed - upon the advice of my midwife. He didn't leave my chest for over an hour. Then only to the weighing table in the corner of the room. He weighed 8lbs 2oz and was 21"!!!
We wanted to leave as soon as possible, but had to do lots of paperwork to be able to leave! I had refused antibiotics even though I was GBS positive so they wanted to keep us 48 hours to check us out. I had to sign his life away to be able to leave after only a few hours. You would have though that no one had ever left early before (maybe they hadn't??). Anyway.... the paperwork delayed us by a few hours, but we ended up getting out of the hospital by about 2am.
We went home and all slept together. It was perfect!
If I did it again, would I get an epi? Hmmm..... with the increase chance of an emergency c-section - I would like to hope not..... but luckily we got away with this one!